• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU makes history with ranked road victory over No. 15 Iowa State

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU makes history with ranked road victory over No. 15 Iowa State

97DF801E-CAFF-4FB3-ABE4-6DCC5E1EE917.jpeg

By Drew Davison

TCU basketball made history on Saturday afternoon.

The Horned Frogs had the best road victory in program history, knocking off No. 15 Iowa State, 59-44, at Hilton Coliseum in Ames.

It’s just the third road victory over a ranked team in TCU’s history, and the highest ranked upset yet. The Frogs also have ranked road victories over No. 17 Iowa State in February 2019, and No. 24 Hawaii in January 1998. They are now 3-93 against ranked opponents on the road.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...road-victory-over-no-15-iowa-state/ar-AAT2XJd

PurplFrawg

Administrator
"TCU makes history with ranked road victory"

Hmmm. Was the "road victory" ranked, or was Iowa State ranked? Editing is a thing of the past.

East Coast

Tier 1
I'm not going to research this, but it is hard to believe that none of Killingsworth's teams ever had a road win against a ranked team. Ditto for some of Swaim's better teams, and the good teams we had way back in the 1950's (Buster Brannon??)

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Wow, 3-93. That's terrible.
monty python GIF

PurpleBlood87

I'm not going to research this, but it is hard to believe that none of Killingsworth's teams ever had a road win against a ranked team. Ditto for some of Swaim's better teams, and the good teams we had way back in the 1950's (Buster Brannon??)

In 1986, Frogs beat No. 6 OU at the All-College Tournament which I believe was in OKC.
That would be a neutral site win.
Same for any wins at the Big XII Tournament.
I doubt they are counting those as road wins.

Dr.HFroog

When TCU beat Tubbs' Oklahoma in a Christmas Tournament played in Oklahoma City as I recall back in the 80's I think the Sooners were ranked in the top 10. It was the best back and forth basketball game I've ever witnessed. Drove back to FTW after the game in fog so think we couldn't see our own headlights. Anyone else recall this game, perhaps my memory is faulty?

Limp Lizard

I wonder if Miles' wrist is still bothering him. Yes they are trying hard to cover him, but so did other teams. Just seems to me like that wrist could be responsible. for his horrible shooting percentage since the Baylor game. We need his threes. Unfortunately there is no team bad enough on our remaining schedule where we could give him some rest.

@Skip Jansen
Skip Jansen’s last post on January 6, 2021:

“I'm just going to spell it out so there isn't any confusion.

TCU is 10th out of 10 in the Big 12 pecking order. And, it's really not even close. The gap between 9 and 10 is large.

Anybody who knows anything about basketball would tell you the exact same thing.

Everyone is entitled to their own expectations. That's their deal. This coaching staff is not perfect but they have exceeded what most people thought they could.

If that's not good enough, fine. But, that's the reality of the situation.”

CountryFrog

@Skip Jansen
Skip Jansen’s last post on January 6, 2021:

“I'm just going to spell it out so there isn't any confusion.

TCU is 10th out of 10 in the Big 12 pecking order. And, it's really not even close. The gap between 9 and 10 is large.

Anybody who knows anything about basketball would tell you the exact same thing.

Everyone is entitled to their own expectations. That's their deal. This coaching staff is not perfect but they have exceeded what most people thought they could.

If that's not good enough, fine. But, that's the reality of the situation.”
Not one of his finer moments. Whether you think TCU is number 5 or number 10 in the pecking order, fine, whatever. But the part about the gap being so large between us and everyone else is just not true and certainly comes across sounding a little bitter and defensive.

Horned Toad

Not one of his finer moments. Whether you think TCU is number 5 or number 10 in the pecking order, fine, whatever. But the part about the gap being so large between us and everyone else is just not true and certainly comes across sounding a little bitter and defensive.
That was a pretty accurate description of last year‘s team. It would be interesting to figure out just who Skip really was. He seemed to have a lot of insight concerning the team and coaches. if blame was due Dixon last year then credit should be equally given this year as he has certainly pulled a rabbit out of his hat working his portal magic.

CountryFrog

That was a pretty accurate description of last year‘s team. It would be interesting to figure out just who Skip really was. He seemed to have a lot of insight concerning the team and coaches. if blame was due Dixon last year then credit should be equally given this year as he has certainly pulled a rabbit out of his hat working his portal magic.
First, it wasn't an accurate description of last year's team. We didn't finish last in the conference. There was actually a team that went 0-18 and it wasn't us. So saying that we're 10th by a lot simply isn't accurate.

Second, I don't think he was actually referring to last year's team specifically but instead the general standing of the program as it relates to getting recruits and being able to have success. So you can certainly make am argument that we are 10 out of 10 in that department. But there's no way that there's a massive gap between whoever #10 is and whoever #9 is the way he said. I'm not sure there's even a massive gap between whoever #5 is and whoever #10 is.

PurpleBlood87

When TCU beat Tubbs' Oklahoma in a Christmas Tournament played in Oklahoma City as I recall back in the 80's I think the Sooners were ranked in the top 10. It was the best back and forth basketball game I've ever witnessed. Drove back to FTW after the game in fog so think we couldn't see our own headlights. Anyone else recall this game, perhaps my memory is faulty?

Not a road game.