• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU loss is on a coach for taking the ball away from a QB who should win the Heisman

Moose Stuff

I guess I’m in the minority here but I had no problem giving miller the ball in that situation. He is a stud. I also agree I’d have preferred Max run it. But I’m not really questioning the call as much as some on here. I understand both sides.
I fully agree with the idea of putting the ball in Max’s hands BUT, it’s easy to criticize the calls after they don’t work. Nobody would have complained about the calls had Kendre scored.

CountryFrog

After a season like this, and almost certainly in the playoff, second guessers are fools.
I don't think anyone is calling for jobs to be lost here. In fact I'm pretty sure we would all give this staff an A+ grade for the season and want to see them all get raises.

They're also human beings who are capable of making mistakes. Nothing wrong with fans acknowledging that and discussing it in a reasonable manner.

CountryFrog

I fully agree with the idea of putting the ball in Max’s hands BUT, it’s easy to criticize the calls after they don’t work. Nobody would have complained about the calls had Kendre scored.
Actually I would have. I hated what we did in that same situation at the end of the 1st half against Iowa St even though it ended up working.

There are levels to all of this, though. I'm not furious at the staff. I don't think they're morons. I just don't agree with this one approach.

Rex Kramer

I, like most everyone on this board, despise Muck. I also agree with some on this chain that logically whatever would have worked would have been looked at as the correct call and whatever didn’t work would have been considered wrong. I can’t get to logic yet. Emotionally, taking the ball out of Max’s hands in that moment was 100% the wrong call. And in this moment, as much of a piece of [ Finebaum ] as Muck is, he is 100% correct.

Endless Purple

Add me to the list that supports the coach's decision.

Had it been given to Max and he got stopped short, we would be reading articles on why the coach called a play where the player was clearly exhausted. All while having a top notch running back.

People always seem to think they are smarter than the coaches when they have hindsight. Article is wrong.

Virginia Frog

Always easy to second guess decisions when they fail. I am sure Dykes will be thinking about those 2 downs in his head for a very long time.if your O ine can't get you less than 1 yard on 2 attempts with your best RB carring the ball, then you don't deserve to win IMO.
I hope that if we get the #3 spot today we can rejoice and those two plays just go into history in the grand scheme of things in Frog football.

Last edited:

TCUWIN

I guess I’m in the minority here but I had no problem giving miller the ball in that situation. He is a stud. I also agree I’d have preferred Max run it. But I’m not really questioning the call as much as some on here. I understand both sides.
I agree that QB sneak was the call on third down when they had a nose shade opposite a three tech to our left. A linebacker was in the gap 3 yards back. No way could he stop anQB sneak but perfect to stop a RB getting the ball 5 yards deep. If we run Miller, which Inhave no problem with, why not off tackle with Trent Battles in there to lead the way. Miller is a stud. It’s the OLine that got blown up 2 plays in a row (and all game). Why in the heck did Riley and Dykes think it would be different with a championship on the line?

Eight

Actually I would have. I hated what we did in that same situation at the end of the 1st half against Iowa St even though it ended up working.

There are levels to all of this, though. I'm not furious at the staff. I don't think they're morons. I just don't agree with this one approach.

do we need to bring up some of your other life choices?

Brog

Terrible news. Coach Dykes called a play for Duggan to run the ball on third down in overtime, and he scored, but is now out for the season with knee injury suffered when tackled. Coach Dykes should be fired immediately.

An-Cap Frog

I have no issue with handing the ball off. Max was spent, might even be injured, so hand the ball off to one of the best backs in the nation. My issue was that KSU's D-line was up for the challenge all game. I would have liked to have see some sort of misdirection in one of those plays. It worked on the 2-oint conversion.

SwissArmyFrog

I have Miller right up there with Max, and it appeared Max was not only gassed, but likely hurting, as well. No prob w/ Miller over Max, here.

To me though, I wouldn't have run up the gut. Hadn't worked well to that point, snd KSU probably watched ISU's goal line stand that almost got the job done right before halftime.

CountryFrog

I see a lot of people talking about how Max couldn't physically run a QB sneak due to exhaustion or a possible unspecified injury.

I'll say again - If he was in such a condition where he couldn't even run a QB sneak then do what you do with every other player who can't go. Get him out of the game and put Jackson in to run the QB sneak. The idea that you should abandon what is very clearly the most likely to succeed play call based on your starting QB being too tired just isn't acceptable. Now obviously if you feel like you have a better play to run than the sneak in that situation then that's a different discussion. I would disagree with that but it's a different discussion. But if the only reason you're not running a sneak there is because Duggan is physically spent then that's not good enough.

Armadillo

I agree that QB sneak was the call on third down when they had a nose shade opposite a three tech to our left. A linebacker was in the gap 3 yards back. No way could he stop anQB sneak but perfect to stop a RB getting the ball 5 yards deep. If we run Miller, which Inhave no problem with, why not off tackle with Trent Battles in there to lead the way. Miller is a stud. It’s the OLine that got blown up 2 plays in a row (and all game). Why in the heck did Riley and Dykes think it would be different with a championship on the line?
I’m celebrating #3 seeding. And drinking heavily. I can’t answer your question but respect your question. I’m partying like it’s 1999. #3 baby!!!!

Pharm Frog

I don't think anyone is calling for jobs to be lost here. In fact I'm pretty sure we would all give this staff an A+ grade for the season and want to see them all get raises.

They're also human beings who are capable of making mistakes. Nothing wrong with fans acknowledging that and discussing it in a reasonable manner.
Not true….there were posters wanting Gillespie and Riley fired yesterday afternoon. And FWIW — other then the line slants there was nothing wrong with those plays other than poor ball spotting by zebras and good KSU defense.