• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU loss is on a coach for taking the ball away from a QB who should win the Heisman

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU loss is on a coach for taking the ball away from a QB who should win the Heisman

BY Big Steaming Pile

TCU head coach Sonny Dykes had the hottest, meanest, fastest, nastiest running quarterback in all of college football, and rather than use him to gain a few inches he had Max Duggan hand the ball off.

Twice.

As such, No. 3 TCU lost to the No. 10 Kansas State Wildcats 31-28 in overtime in the Big 12 championship game on Saturday at AT&T Stadium.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article269482262.html#storylink=cpy

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
First, amazing that even after review the suckiest officials in the world could even get the ball spot correct.

At least we got under center from inside the 1 yard line rather than snapping it back five yards to begin.

But even handing the ball to Miller, you still have to go backwards a couple of yards.

Should have put two backs behind Duggan, and let them and the line push him over the line.

But I think they saw Duggan was spent and that played into it.

Plus Miller scored on third down, but of course the suckiest officials in the world could not get that right.

No Mac that would not have been a "killer" score. K-State was going to have a chance to match it.

FrogBall09

First, amazing that even after review the suckiest officials in the world could even get the ball spot correct.

At least we got under center from inside the 1 yard line rather than snapping it back five yards to begin.

But even handing the ball to Miller, you still have to go backwards a couple of yards.

Should have put two backs behind Duggan, and let the them and the line push him over the line.

But I think they saw Duggan was spent nd that played into it.

Plus Miller scored on third down, but of course the suckiest officials in the world could not get that right.

No Mac that would not have been a "killer" score. K-State was going to have a chance to match it.
Then we should have spread them out - we didn’t win the LOS all game. I hate Mac but sorry- we needed a better plan than go right at them. TCU was faster but we were not bigger in the trenches - we played to their strengths, not ours

CountryFrog

There is no more obvious situation to run a QB sneak than on those 3rd and 4th down plays from inside the 1. Very rarely does a QB sneak not work when so little yardage is needed and stopping it twice is near impossible. You only need the center and one guard to not get blown up. They don't even have to get much push when you're that close. But when you hand the ball off 5 yards behind the line then you need pretty much everyone up front to win their battle or you're in trouble. We should've seen QB sneak on 3rd down and if need be on 4th down.

As far as Duggan being worn out, I'm sure he was. But they were coming off a long timeout with the review of the second down play. And as someone who has played QB and ran QB sneaks before, I know that it requires very little energy. I don't buy the idea that he was so tired he couldn't take a snap and then fall forward.

Armadillo

I guess I’m in the minority here but I had no problem giving miller the ball in that situation. He is a stud. I also agree I’d have preferred Max run it. But I’m not really questioning the call as much as some on here. I understand both sides.

Pharm Frog

I guess I’m in the minority here but I had no problem giving miller the ball in that situation. He is a stud. I also agree I’d have preferred Max run it. But I’m not really questioning the call as much as some on here. I understand both sides.
I'm with you. And, he scored. I also suspect that Max is not comfortable taking a snap under center and plowing forward. Almost all of his effective running has been read/react or scramble. Very rarely do we even go under center unless its a lateral play and it only takes a blink to fumble a snap when you are trying to get moving forward. I had zero problems with the play calling (except I really don't like that dramatic line slanting technique down there but its worked many times before). Personally, I would have preferred going from the shot gun and letting KM pick his hole as opposed to having him in motion to the line at the point of handoff.

fanatical frog

Note to Coach Dykes and staff: 99.9% of the Horned Frog Nation are happy as a nine year old on Christmas morning to have you here and thank you for the truly amazing turn-around you've led this team to. Also, 100% of the Horned Frog Nation are disgusted with Mac Engle and would very much appreciate it if he would just go away....so just ignore him, please.

Limey Frog

There is no more obvious situation to run a QB sneak than on those 3rd and 4th down plays from inside the 1. Very rarely does a QB sneak not work when so little yardage is needed and stopping it twice is near impossible. You only need the center and one guard to not get blown up. They don't even have to get much push when you're that close. But when you hand the ball off 5 yards behind the line then you need pretty much everyone up front to win their battle or you're in trouble. We should've seen QB sneak on 3rd down and if need be on 4th down.

As far as Duggan being worn out, I'm sure he was. But they were coming off a long timeout with the review of the second down play. And as someone who has played QB and ran QB sneaks before, I know that it requires very little energy. I don't buy the idea that he was so tired he couldn't take a snap and then fall forward.
Right, you could have put Jackson in for two sneaks if fatigue was the issue.

I agree that sneaking was the obvious call. I understand why we went to Kendre after the year he's had, and if they'd tried something clever and failed we'd all be asking why they didn't just hand it off. But I said to my friend I was watching with as soon as we took the knee to go to OT that a short field favored K-State because they'd beaten us upfront all day. In the end that won it.

HFrog1999

I would’ve called this play

faketonobody_medium.gif

Frogs1983

Always easy to second guess decisions when they fail. I am sure Dykes will be thinking about those 2 downs in his head for a very long time.if your O ine can't get you less than 1 yard on 2 attempts with your best RB carring the ball, then you don't deserve to win IMO.

SportsJunkie

Then if we get Dugan hurt the coach sucks for running a kid who has nothing left in the tank. If they score then it was the right play call. If they run a play action and get sacked they are stupid and people will say "run up the middle, you only needed one yard!!"

That's football for you. Kstate nutted up! Hats off to them.