• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU loses another player, 20th in nine months

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU loses another player, 20th in nine months

Redshirt freshman linebacker Austin Terry has been medically disqualified and is no longer on the team, TCU confirmed Monday.

Terry is the 20[sup]th[/sup] player to depart the Horned Frogs since late last season. Terry, from Lago Vista High School, was part of the 2011 recruiting class.

He’s the fifth linebacker TCU has lost since the end of the 2011 season. Greg Burks was medically disqualified last fall. In February, Tanner Brock, the Frogs’ leading tackler in 2010, was kicked off the team after being arrested in a drug sting. Brock’s replacement, sophomore Deryck Gildon, left the team later in the spring because of academic issues. Last month, sophomore Danny Heiss retired from football because of an injury.

-- Stefan Stevenson
@FollowtheFrogs

mwindsorfw

What does medically disqualified mean? Bad heart, bad knees, or this is just a convenient way of letting everyone go their own way?

neutral observer

At least it wasn't Kenny Cain or somebody who has seen serious planning time.

Good luck to Austin. I hope he receives his degree and makes a contribution to the world.

Purple Daze

The way we are losing a big chunk of our roster unexpectedly reminds me of the '85-86 seasons after Wacker turned us in and we became very under-manned thru kids being dismissed, scholly's taken away, etc... This year it's suspensions, academic issues, medically disqualified, season ending injuries, etc... Different reasons but the same impact on the roster.

For numerous reasons we weren't able to handle the stress of it in the mid 80's, which is the main difference between now and then. Because I don't know the answer to this, I pose One Horned Frog's question also, because of the losses do we get all those scholarships back to offer?

VA Froggie

This is the reason so many freshmen are getting playing time. With all the bad there is some good as these kids are growing up fast and we will be better by it.

maximilian

Can award no more than 25 per year.

If you have December grads, they can count towards the previous class.

Matthews/Catalon/Listenbee fell into this category. It's also how the SEC can continue to sign more than 25 when the rule was pretty much made for them.

Purple Daze

I've never been as interested in the recruiting stuff as most so pardon me if these are stupid questions. If we are allowed to only sign 19-20 next year, doesn't that mean we will also be short handed next season? If we've lost 20 thus far(assuming we lose no more), combined with the scholarship seniors doesn't that leave us a smaller roster if we can only offer 19-20 next year?

Not only are we one of the youngest teams in the nation this year, we will be next year too.

Purple Daze

I still remember Wacker and the team burying the '85 season...

That man was a treasure.

+1

When all that went down I was in HS and didn't then understand the massive stones (and unwavering personal beliefs) it took to make the decision that he did. I kind of resented him for it at the time but then I grew up and respected him for it.

brettnick

+1

When all that went down I was in HS and didn't then understand the massive stones (and unwavering personal beliefs) it took to make the decision that he did. I kind of resented him for it at the time but then I grew up and respected him for it.
"Unbelievable, baby!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

denverfrog

+1

Not exactly how it happened, but, I do have a lot of respect for Wacker. But, there does seem to be a lot of miss information about that chapter in our history.

Purple Daze

I'm pretty steeped in Horned Frog football lore but admittedly have some blind spots. What you are inferring may possibly be one of those blind spots and I'm not real sure if I want to know the truth if it's other than I've believed.

I thought it went something like this.... We have a really good year in 1984, generate excitement in the program for the first time in many, many years, compete for the title until fading late and make a bowl game for the first time since in many years. 1985 comes upon us, Wacker and Davis are on the cover of Texas Football, there is an air of excitement the likes of which I had never experienced following Frog football for what's to come. We play our first two games, roll the opponents when Wacker gets wind from one of the players that they are being paid behind the scenes. Wacker investigates all whom may be involved, learns the truth and instead of trying to put a lid on it (something that 90% of NCAA coaches at that time would have done) he turns the program in knowing what it would signify regarding continued football success. To his credit, instead of getting out while his name was hot, he stayed and tried to build TCU football back to where he had it in 1984 despite the huge disadvantage the NCAA saddled us with. Obviously, this just hits the highlights but this was what I thought happened and like I said if it didn't then I'm not sure I really want to know anymore.

denverfrog

I have heard that version. I think it stems from a Sports Illustrated article and honestly, what people wanted to believe. Wacker isn't around anymore. But, most of that version was "spun" to portray Wacker and, by association, the University in a better light. I guess it irritates me a little because it paints him as the only "honest" person involved. Very far from the truth. Everyone knew it was wrong and was committed to ending the practices of the past. Nobody had clean hands here and he certainly didn't turn us in "because it was the right thing to do". He turned us in because he/the athletic department thought we might get a better outcome if we did rather than wait until it came out about 30 miles away. But, he knew for a fact it was coming out either way. Of course, as a private school with little power, the end result was that we were slaughtered, I still believe the infamous "Wacker Letter" and what other coaches believed was a level of arrogance contributed. Inside the SWC, the issues at TCU were not exactly a secret.