• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU lands big-time commitment from grad transfer DE Shameik Blackshear

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU lands big-time commitment from grad transfer DE Shameik Blackshear

By Drew Davison

TCU landed a big-time commitment on Saturday.

South Carolina defensive end Shameik Blackshear announced his intentions to join TCU as a grad transfer.

The Frogs had another significant grad transfer commit to the program earlier this week when Kansas State quarterback Alex Delton announced he’d join the program.

Blackshear provides depth to a position of need for TCU. The Frogs starting defensive ends from last season, Ben Banogu and L.J. Collier, have graduated and are preparing for the NFL Draft. Michael Epley is also gone from the program.

Blackshear will have a chance to compete for snaps next season. This is a guy who had 34 tackles and a sack during his career at South Carolina. He played in 13 games last season, including two starts.

Story link: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article224814460.html#storylink=cpy

Froggish

So far every commitment has been “Big Time”....

Edit: there are some interesting parallels between Blackshear and LJ...Both heavier than DEs we normally play and both were career backups until their Sr years...Hopefully this Guy has by an LJ like impact.

netty2424

He started two games.
Played 13. Not knocking it in anyway. When I saw his tackle total I just thought I’d look up Banogu and Collier for perspective, and thought I’d share it. Which is also why said no idea what type of defense they run.

I think he’s going slide right in GP’s defense and be a difference maker. I’m stoked to have him.

PhillyFrog

Played 13. Not knocking it in anyway. When I saw his tackle total I just thought I’d look up Banogu and Collier for perspective, and thought I’d share it. Which is also why said no idea what type of defense they run.

I think he’s going slide right in GP’s defense and be a difference maker. I’m stoked to have him.

Yeah, no offense meant.

Someone mentioned that Blackshear kind of has the same developmental profile as Collier did going into last season. Replicating that for 2019 would be a good outcome for everyone except opposing B12 left tackles.*

[* Presuming that's where Gary puts him. Gary could put him at strong safety and I'd not be that surprised.]

Frogo

Patterson has a history of developing DEs who bloom their senior year. He knows what he's looking for, I think, and knows how to develop the player. And they always seem to "come out of nowhere."