• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU has won 40 games since Sonny Cumbie joined its staff. Next step? Head coach.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU has won 40 games since Sonny Cumbie joined its staff. Next step? Head coach.

BY DREW DAVISON
ddavison@star-telegram.com

FORT WORTH – TCU coach Gary Patterson would love to see his coaching tree spring new branches every offseason.

The best way to land those prestigious jobs?

“What I’ve found is that people want them more if you win,” Patterson said. “So our whole goal is to win enough.”

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article216194850.html

tcumaniac

When you have a gig as sweet as TCU, in a town as great as Fort Worth, with a pay check as good as he has, with a stable of blue chip QBs as good as we do, with a defense that gives us a shot to be genuine National Championship contenders, and only being 37 years old- I wouldn’t blame him if he wasn’t in a huge hurry to take on the stresses that come with being a head coach. TCU is in the middle of its glory days. If I was him, I’d stick around and win a few national championships first.

4th. down

Sonny's wife and kids are a big asset for us - she is putting her roots down in Fort worth. Women generally get their way you know. This family is not really money focused but more family oriented and she really likes where she is - so I have been told. Believed he interviewed with Texas because it was Texas but supposedly Sonny didn't have that much interest in them, even with the big pay boost.

FrogFrog

It would never happen, blah blah blah, but I would love it if, when Coach P is ready to retire, he stays on for 3 years as the DC. Less stress for GP and it would give HC Cumbie a bad ass defense to play with while he gets his feet wet running the show.

Eight

sonny has only been "the guy" for one year so i think the idea that it is time for him to starting looking for a head job is a bit of a rush.

agree with maniac in that cumbie seems to like ft worth, is well paid, has talent to work with, gary lets him run his offense, and what gets overlooked is that he can learn how to build a program.

so many young guys run through jobs so fast i am not sure if they ever learn how to actually build something, learn how to deal with obstacles, what to do when things don't go right.

i think those types of experience are critical in the growth of a coach who wants to be a hc and why rush? i look at matt campbell's pathway and he put in a great deal of time in that toledo program before he got the hc job. he knew what was needed and he has shown that at iowa state.

compare that to mensa who has all the resource, but i am not convinced he is prepared if things don't go well at texas. dude has never had to deal with an obstacle to this point in his coaching career and the one thing life teaches us if life is going to [ Finebaum ] on everybody at some point.

Eight

If and when patterson retires, do we want to keep the 4-2 defense without him?

that is a choice of the next hc. the defense is far more gary's understanding of the game, recognition of formations, projection of talent, , ability to teach, than the formation

it is why i laugh when people write about the formation as the key to the tcu defense. it isn't the menu or even the ingredients that make a great meal, but when you give a great chef the right ingredients.

Planks

Yeah Fuente would obviously would be a good hire, but I don’t see why he would leave VT for TCU if things are going well at VT. He’s not a TCU alumn and I don’t think he’s from the area.

I have an unpopular opinion. While Cumbie would be a great hire as the next HC, I think there is another assistant on staff that might be the better choice as our next HC. Chad Glasgow. He’s the closest thing to a younger Gary Patterson as you can get. Hard nosed, defensive minded, and knows the 4-2-5 better than anyone not named Gary Patterson.

Yes Cumbie would be the more exciting coach, but the fact is, there are a lot more up and coming offensive coaches than there are defensive coaches, especially in state of Texas and the Big 12. It’s so much easier to have a defensive minded HC and then find an up and coming OC to run the offense than it is to have an offensive minded HC and find an up and coming DC to run the defense.

There’s always a new air raid Kingsbury/Holgerson/Cumbie/Leach/Sumlin/Riley/Beaty type coach coming up through the ranks. Finding a great defensive coach in this area of the country is much harder.

Plus, I think teams that have a defensive minded coach seem to just have a more physical, tougher mentality as a whole, and tend to be better teams overall than teams run by offensive minded head coaches.

Tom Brown

that is a choice of the next hc. the defense is far more gary's understanding of the game, recognition of formations, projection of talent, , ability to teach, than the formation

it is why i laugh when people write about the formation as the key to the tcu defense. it isn't the menu or even the ingredients that make a great meal, but when you give a great chef the right ingredients.

Thanks, Ratatouille