1. The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football players asking coaches to show support following George Floyd’s death

Discussion in 'The Pit' started by TopFrog, May 30, 2020.

1. TCU football players asking coaches to show support following George Floyd’s death

BY DREW DAVISON

TCU tight end Pro Wells is hoping to see his coaches speak out on the death of George Floyd, a black man who died after at least one police officer was seen on video kneeling on him as he lay handcuffed in a Minneapolis street earlier this week.

“I feel like all my coaches should be speaking on this because most of our players are black,” Wells posted on his Twitter account Friday. “That could have been one of us.”

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article243093956.html

PhillyFrog likes this.
  2. College Football Hall of Fame damaged by protesters
    https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29244470/college-football-hof-damaged-protesters

The College Football Hall of Fame was heavily damaged and looted during violent protests in Atlanta on Friday night, Atlanta police confirmed in a statement. The College Football Hall of Fame, which is located near the CNN Center and Centennial Olympic Park in downtown Atlanta, was near the epicenter of demonstrations over the death of George Floyd while in police custody in Minneapolis earlier this week.

3. Posting on Facebook or twitter doesn’t do anything imo. Other ways to go about showing support

4. Yeah think a lot will happen. After hearing issues with the officer previously I think there will be many people end up resigning. The other officers need to be held accountable too that. At least the two that were laying on him.

5. Yeah but if you don’t...

6. Looters damaged The college football HOF in Atlanta. Makes total sense...

7. No, it doesn’t make sense. Most things don’t when you are enraged and despondent. Sad days we are in right now. We’ve got to all help turn this around.

8. I probably should’ve looted something when my wife was shot and the cops refused to arrest the shooter

Think it’s too late now?

[​IMG]

LisaLT, TCURiggs, netty2424 and 12 others like this.
  9. Ran across this yesterday, and I have zero dogs in this fight:

Extra Bonus Quote of the Day

May 29, 2020 at 10:29 pm EDT By Taegan Goddard 99 Comments

“We’ve never had a person leading the Federation who is as bombastic, who is as overtly racist, who is as likely to provide comfort to someone when they do something wrong, who is as central to that toxic culture as Bob Kroll. And it is time to name names. Bob Kroll is a cancer on this police department, on this city.”

— Former Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak (D), quote by WCCO, on Minneapolis Police Federation President Bob Kroll.

HFrog1999 likes this.
  10. Are despondency and rage mostly nocturnal emotions? Is it universally true that despondency and rage manifest in nonsensical, illegal, and destructive behavior?

Showtime Joe 2.0 likes this.
  11. One prominent data point comes to mind: the Boston Tea Party.

Disclaimer: I hate tea.

12. That wasn't despondency or rage. That was planned and executed with a targeted and compact impact and message. Not even close to being metaphorical to the situation we see going on now.

13. Wowzers.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...divorce-after-charged-in-george-floyds-death/

The wife of Derek Chauvin, the arrested and charged former Minneapolis police officer at the center of George Floyd’s death, is seeking a divorce, according to her lawyer.

“This evening, I spoke with Kellie Chauvin and her family. She is devastated by Mr. Floyd’s death and her utmost sympathy lies with his family, with his loved ones and with everyone who is grieving this tragedy. She has filed for dissolution of her marriage to Derek Chauvin,” a lawyer of Sekula Law Offices said in a statement Friday.

14. Arguable.

The Boston Tea Party was a political protest that occurred on December 16, 1773, at Griffin’s Wharf in Boston, Massachusetts. American colonists, frustrated and angry at Britain for imposing “taxation without representation,” dumped 342 chests of tea, imported by the British East India Company into the harbor. The event was the first major act of defiance to British rule over the colonists.

That morning, as thousands of colonists convened at the wharf and its surrounding streets, a meeting was held at the Old South Meeting House where a large group of colonists voted to refuse to pay taxes on the tea or allow the tea to be unloaded, stored, sold or used.

That night, a large group of men – many reportedly members of the Sons of Liberty – disguised themselves in Native American garb, boarded the docked ships and threw 342 chests of tea into the water.

In June of 1774, George Washington wrote: “the cause of Boston…ever will be considered as the cause of America.” But his personal views of the event were far different. He voiced strong disapproval of “their conduct in destroying the Tea” and claimed Bostonians “were mad.” Washington, like many other elites, held private property to be sacrosanct.

15. Wanna bet evidence of spousal abuse will come out?

[​IMG]

TxFrog1999 likes this.
  16. Given the known stat profile of that profession, I'd lay 3-1 against. Certainly higher than the background rate though.

Generally speaking, cops are not trained enough and not paid enough, and in some ways operate in war zones, given the prevalance of weapons. It's beyond sad how the actions of a relatively few number of them hurt the far larger number who do their jobs pretty well.