• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football landing running back Zach Evans was a loss disguised as a win | Opinion

Wexahu

Glad my college years weren't all over a message board.

If your son was an NFL prospect would you want his career shortened carrying the ball 25 times a game on last year's team?

Not sure how many of you are baseball fans here but I rarely heard criticism of Schloss limiting pitcher's pitch count. Heard other criticisms of him, but that was not one of them.
This is such an overrated narrative.

The top 10 leading rushers in NFL history averaged 675 carries in college. Tony Dorsett averaged 25 carries per game at Pitt over 4 seasons and went on to carry it another 2,936 times in the NFL for 12,700 yards. Herschel Walker averaged 30 carries a game in college and went on to carry it another 3,100 times in 15 NFL seasons.....over 4,000 college/pro carries. LT had over 4,000 carries too. Zach Evans has 146 carries, 9.5 carries per game. You can either do it, or you can't/won't.

A FAR bigger factor is once a lot of guys get that huge contract they aren't the same player, because they've got their money.

geefrogs

I believe he was caught downtown with supposedly a girlfriend. I kind remember it was more than 2 ozs which isn’t much. It was more like 2 lbs I think.

Screenshot_20220107-101852_Chrome.jpg

2 ounces is a solid amount for one dude.

If you've got 2 pounds on you, well, football is probably your side-gig and you've got scarier bosses than GP.

geefrogs

This is such an overrated narrative.

The top 10 leading rushers in NFL history averaged 675 carries in college. Tony Dorsett averaged 25 carries per game at Pitt over 4 seasons and went on to carry it another 2,936 times in the NFL for 12,700 yards. Herschel Walker averaged 30 carries a game in college and went on to carry it another 3,100 times in 15 NFL seasons.....over 4,000 college/pro carries. LT had over 4,000 carries too. Zach Evans has 146 carries, 9.5 carries per game. You can either do it, or you can't/won't.

A FAR bigger factor is once a lot of guys get that huge contract they aren't the same player, because they've got their money.

Youre referencing guys from 40 years ago.

Lmao.

Different game brotha.

Wexahu

Youre referencing guys from 40 years ago.

Lmao.

Different game brotha.
How is it so much different? You don’t think those guys took punishment? If anything it’s probably a softer, safer game now than it was back then. And Gore, AP, and LT weren’t 40 years ago. Far from it.

Not to mention, most of those guys played on hard ass turf about an inch and a half above concrete.

geefrogs

How is it so much different? You don’t think those guys took punishment? If anything it’s probably a softer, safer game now than it was back then. And Gore, AP, and LT weren’t 40 years ago. Far from it.

Frank Gore was 3rd on the Miami RB depth chart initially. LaDainian came to TCU as a fullback. AP was a unicorn but only played 7 games his last year at OU

As Elsa would say,

Let It Go Disney GIF

Wexahu

Frank Gore was 3rd on the Miami RB depth chart initially. LaDainian came to TCU as a fullback. AP was a unicorn but only played 7 games his last year at OU

As Elsa would say,

Let It Go Disney GIF
Frank Gore tore both his ACLs in college. Still carried it 348 times at Miami. Rushed for 16,000 yards in the NFL. He was a gamer.

I have no idea what point you’re trying to make.

Endless Purple

If your son was an NFL prospect would you want his career shortened carrying the ball 25 times a game on last year's team?

Not sure how many of you are baseball fans here but I rarely heard criticism of Schloss limiting pitcher's pitch count. Heard other criticisms of him, but that was not one of them.
I think there is a big difference between a coach determining playing time vs a player or parent determining the playing time.

froginmn

Understand the point you're trying to make but don't buy it. Pitch counts have been a concern for quite a few years now and overuse of a pitcher's arm is very clearly a potential issue.

And the comparison is obviously flawed because a coach making the decision for all pitchers is very different from a player forcing that decision related only to him.

FrogBall09

Did we have a starting pitcher that was only willing to throw 50 pitches and then wanted off the mound?

Because that is the equivalent

Every RB has a limit- no one is carrying the ball 50 times every game - but Evans limit was ridiculously low

McFroggin

While guys like Evans make the headlines, my guess is most of the guys in the portal are there because they weren’t getting playing time, and their current coaches made it clear they might be better off looking elsewhere

No longer the case. Now it’s to get paid. $$$$

FrogBall09

As Elsa would say,

Let It Go Disney GIF
Excuses - ZE is more likely to pull a RG3 and complain about how hard they hit in the NFL than be a star