• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football hired Sonny Dykes because he is not Gary Patterson | Opinion

Mean Purple

Based on what I’ve heard about how the last several years went down I’ve decided I don’t give one tiny scheiss about what Gary thinks about the future of our program.
Dude built what we have. And he knows football. Won us mutliple championships and got us to 3 of the biggest bowls, winning two of them. Made us a recognized program. TCU's coach opening was considered one of the major jobs open ... because of what GP had done.

A. I doubt Muck knows anything about how GP thinks about this.
B. I would care about what he thinks about the future of the program.

Moose Stuff

Dude built what we have. And he knows football. Won us mutliple championships and got us to 3 of the biggest bowls, winning two of them. Made us a recognized program. TCU's coach opening was considered one of the major jobs open ... because of what GP had done.

A. I doubt Muck knows anything about how GP thinks about this.
B. I would care about what he thinks about the future of the program.
I can’t imagine a single issue where I would say “before we make a decision let’s see what Gary thinks” with any hope that he would have a good idea.

Mean Purple

We’ve upgraded now to a selfless, humble, clear speaking, and frankly honest head coach, and for me it’s highlighting the flaws of the failed leader GP was the last 5 years.
Some folks around here have gotten a little off.
Dykes is a coach climbing the ladder like any other. He wants to be here, good. But the things he has said is what you expect from coaches at press conference, etc.

Was it time for GP to go? ok, that's a call they made. But I am not going to be ungrateful for all he did. Take a look around that part of campus. Those incredible facilties don't happen with GP bringing the program up. Also not going to sit and worship him. But be realistic, folks.

Brog

Now that I'm 70+ years since I GRADUATED from TCU, I've seen so many changes I couldn't list them all. Used to check my oil every time I stopped to get gas. Used to use S&H green stamps to buy stuff. Used to pay .15 cents for a McDonald. Used to buy donuts at the Spudnut on University Drive. Used to wait until the "I do's" to do you know what. (Maybe not always, but..). Used to wiggle the antenna around on top of the TV to improve reception. Used to get up and go over there to change stations or adjust volume. Used to drive through downtown Dallas in order to get over to Greenville. Enough? So change in the coach's football strategy doesn't bother me a bit. (And what the hell is TikTok?)

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Bagging on Gary shows some lack of class and gratitude by TCU fans for all he did and accomplished for us and the school. Let him go with a little grace and thanks while expressing hope and excitement over the change. I will always be appreciative for what GP and Fran did bringing the school back from the dead (thanks to those who stepped in to bring them here) as I look forward to this next chapter.

Big Frog II

Again I love Gary Patterson. I will always appreciate what he has done for TCU and Fort Worth. Sadly, it was time to make a change. Football has changed dramatically. The transfer portal, the NIL, the coddling of players is totally different than how Gary coaches. It's now time to look towards the future. Do I like what's become of college football, no. However, if we are to be successful going forward we have to make changes we don't really like.

The Bad Guy

Again I love Gary Patterson. I will always appreciate what he has done for TCU and Fort Worth. Sadly, it was time to make a change. Football has changed dramatically. The transfer portal, the NIL, the coddling of players is totally different than how Gary coaches. It's now time to look towards the future. Do I like what's become of college football, no. However, if we are to be successful going forward we have to make changes we don't really like.

Nobody likes change, but that is LIFE.

bronco

Agree with everything you said and no disrespect to GP but times have changed (probably not for better) and he seemed unwilling to change.

As I sat in the stands during the SMU game my thoughts were why would anyone want to play at TCU? We were getting outplayed by a Group of 5 team, an apathetic fan base, and a coach whose sideline demeanor leaves little to be desired. It was obvious at that point that changes needed to happen.

I am forever grateful for what he did here and something like that will probably never be done again but something had to change.

froginaustin

Well, it seems the AD could. They made the offer for him to help with the transition and to weigh in.

Uhhh, the "offer for him to help with the transition and to weigh in" is the same sort of offer made to the founder of a successful startup in Austin (and certainly in Silicon Valley, or so I have heard) when the venture capitalists dudes decide the founder is no longer the proper leader for a grown-up enterprise. A face-saving device (and possibly part of a formal or de facto non-compete) for the outgoing hero.

What it really means is, "go play a lot of golf (or whatever recreation suits you); keep your mouth shut except, when and if cornered by the press or a blogger, say something at least vaguely flattering and nice; you'll get extra benefits of some sort-- even more money; access to people and places that are fun; etc.-- if you behave."

My apologies for seeming so cynical, but if Patterson taking TCU from rags to riches isn't like a start-up hitting it big-- and then under the direction of the people with the money and in charge at the board level, bringing in "professional" management with the crazy-azz founder sidelined-- I don't know what is.

Something sort of like that happened to Twitter recently, or so I have heard. It happens all the time to much smaller companies that nevertheless have gone from brilliant ideas to successful businesses (with the help of OPM, and with Other People in the strategic position to make strategic decisions to keep the genius from riding the enterprise back down).

vicarfrog

that is either written on the bottom of steel's business card or the bench at the bus stop at lovers near the central market

Ha!

Wrong, wrong, wrooooong!!

I found it on a fortune cookie the other day... actually, I think I might have stolen it from Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight.

Eight

Ha!

Wrong, wrong, wrooooong!!

I found it on a fortune cookie the other day... actually, I think I might have stolen it from Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight.

where do you think steel got the basis for most legal briefs his legal secretary writes for him. goodness knows the man doesn't remember anything from law school

vicarfrog

where do you think steel got the basis for most legal briefs his legal secretary writes for him. goodness knows the man doesn't remember anything from law school

One day I will learn the backstory of this rivalry! Y'all were roommates back in college weren't you??