• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football coach Gary Patterson goes on the defensive again

Big Frog II

Gary has always "smirked" (figuratively or literally) as if he's the smartest football person on the planet and that we should be grateful that he's been here as long as he has. When he was winning, it was easy to go along with it. It's what we all loved about him.

I am grateful for all the years Gary has been here, and I am grateful that he's a nice guy and has done good things for Fort Worth. I am grateful he has been paid over $60 million by TCU. He's earned it. (and that's his on the record TCU money, his side deals with TCU donors take it up over $100 million. He is truly, completely, generationally wealthy).

But when your teams have not been good at all 5 out of the last 6 years...humility is long over due. And Gary has zero humility in his football persona. None. Never has. It's part of what you love about him (the cockiness) and now what makes you want to run him out of town.

Fans don't want excuses, they don't want his reasoning, they don't want his belly aching on a mic, they don't want him commenting on stupid news articles, or "woe is me" injury reports...they want one thing. WIN. That's it. No one cares how you do it, just freaking win.

Now maybe he feels putting a positive spin on everything "defy"'s the negativity to catch up with him.
Or maybe if he "deny"'s anything is wrong, it doesn't actually exist.

However, his fan base isn't turning on him...it has turned. Time will tell if he starts winning again, or, is actually able to change his football philosophy. The time has come.
I disagree. Gary has football humility. Sadly he is hard headed like me. I don't like to make changes in my business and he doesn't like to with his football team but we have to. If not, you get old and stale and you fall behind your competition. He simply has to make changes with some of his assistants and how the team is run this off season before we become a has been.

Last edited:

Toad Jones

It's not going to be easy releasing Patterson as head coach. He's wanting an extension this summer and he fully expects to recv one and can't figure out why that, is even a question. I think the reason he is complaining/explaining he can't do this and that: Money, orders from the purple oval office. Too, it is my opinion the adm has determined a de-emphasize zing of athletics as a whole, esp football. It's easier to p[ay six million than revamp the budget when money has been short. Secondly, look at the facilities, first class and they may be saying, its time to pay attention in other places.

Patterson also said, he understands people grow stale and need something exciting to cheer on. Patterson says, I understand that . Come out and say so. Well, sir, look at the post from Toad Jones where upon he says repeatedly, a culture change is needed and has been for the last five years.

In short my opinion, TCU is willing to put up with Patterson during these times. We understand, but how long before the tide turns and money flows again?. Considering political powers are calling for several trillion (thats trillion, not millions) increase in personal income tax to pay for that trillion dollar spending bill before Congress now, money earned by the now generation will be paying for that bill for years and years. Disposable income definitely will take a huge hit. Added a devaluation of the dollar, lord help the young generation..

Lastly at 61-62-63 yrs old, change is tough, really hard to do, so you most likely will be faced again with the same old ideas, routines, definitions. Just 3.0 version.

TCU football needs a culture change. There Gary its been said.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
GMFP had the sense to make some changes, radical, unheard of changes, to his program following the disastrous '13 season. Now, he is looking at 3 mediocre seasons running, and the distinct possibility of missing a Bowl at the end of this one. Many of us thought that he would make changes after last season, but he refused to do so, resulting in this miserable excuse for a season. He, and his players, don't have many seasons to give, and wasting one is a terrible thing.

In the series Downton Abbey, the character Carson The Butler was obsessed with maintaining standards. Standards of cleanliness, appearance, orderliness, behavior, etc., were high, and fastidiously kept under his watchful and very critical eye. Carson would never accept sloppiness, or lackadaisical performance of anyone's duties, least of all his own. This adherence to the maintaining of rigorous standards kept the place the showpiece it was.

We can all remember when the Frogs had rigorous standards like that in terms of fundamentals, behavior, and esprit de corps. Those standards formed the core and foundation of the successful program that we all enjoyed, and in recent years they have obviously slipped. We just aren't who we used to be. IMHO, that is the thing most disturbing, and from which all other issues grow.

In Lawrence of Arabia, there is a lovely sequence at the beginning of the film in which Lawrence is speaking with Prince Feisal in his tent during a turbulent night. Feisal is waxing rhapsodic about the history of his people...

"We were great, nine centuries ago..."
"Time to be great again, your majesty."

Pharm Frog

I had heard from a couple of people in the know, that GP has mentioned wanting an extension. It seems to be true. If I am Donati, I tell GP the only way for an extension to even be considered is if he makes several actual changes to his coaching staff. No more reshuffling. If he refuses, then he is forced to resign(retire).

Disagree. No extension. None. He had multiple chances to make the necessary changes. Give him an extension and lose all leverage. It's not like we're having to protect him from offers. No chance I even consider an extension. Not even if we win out this year.

Paywall. DNR.

However, from the commentary above, I glean that GMFP is whining about things not being done right? Not enough staff? I don't know if he realizes this, but you run the Football Program, GMFP!!! Any issues you may be having can be solved very, very simply. Personally. There's no one else there to take blame.

As to ADJD, he does a very good impersonation of The Sphinx for a reason: He always keeps his cards close to the vest. He has never, as far as I know, gone off and made bloviating, dopey statements to the Media. He keeps things tight, well controlled, and succinct. When he has something to say, likely the week of 22 November, we'll know.

Yeah, he says those things like he couldn't get exactly what he wanted from the school if he asked. Give me a break. That guy has been treated like a God the entire time he's been here. He could have whatever he wanted with the snap of his fingers from the school.

EDIT: Even with current budget issues, tell me seriously what Gary thinks he needs that would cost so much the school wouldn't give it to him? Hiring one or two new people? I mean what is it that is so costly that GP wouldn't get it? "Hey guys, as you can see by my mediocre record the past half decade we're falling behind. I need this, this and this to get us back up to speed."

Last edited:

Virginia Frog

“If I could tell the real story on a lot of things, then you’d see I’d do a lot of things a lot differently from what we have — from offseason work, to strength coaches, to how many recruiting people we have, to all the things that we do.”

This makes zero sense. Telling or not telling us the “real story” should in no way impede his ability to do things differently.

He’s going nowhere. And Donati says less than a non-speaking extra in a movie.
Matt Jennings has BAWLS! Thanks to him IMO.

There's a lot of truth to all this discontent regarding GP's continuing as our "saintly" fb coach.

I know for most of us, all this "talk" about firing GP is conflicting our souls. He's WAS the "man" and deserves a lot of our affection (he's not really "that" type) but the PROGRAM is SIDEWAYS for 5 years or so. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE, TCU PEOPLE!

I'll get ZERO JOY in seeing him "out." (It's stupid for me to think he'll "come around" and get us back to 10+ W seasons.) Actually, I believe it'll hurt my heart if he is eased out/told/fired, etc. I REALLY wanted him to get to 200 Wins. That would be tremendous for GP, his staff, all the players, current and former, and the entire University community. All of us here will never again see the opportunity for 200+ Ws for a TCU coach in our lifetimes. (I'm afraid that's a party we'll never have.)

We're only getting Ws from the good to bad teams. Winnable games are being lost (UT - why tell me why when we were down 32-27, having the mo, and with 4 min letf to NOT to on-side kick - after the week before having a similar scenario with SMU where the D couldn't "hold 'em" - and not TRYING to get the ball back for the W.)

I don't need to go further on all the ills this current program needs to remedy.

Last edited:
I never played for a coach that didn't have a "No excuses" policy. I would bet you a hundred bucks GP has the same policy with his players. Yet that joker does nothing but make excuses for himself, his staff and his team. We all know about excuses. They're like arse holes. We all have them and they.....

I get sick of hearing about the fans. I get sick of hearing about youth. And the past few years I'm really sick of injuries as an excuse. My beef has been that this deep into our Big 12 tenure, we should have enough depth that we can overcome injuries. We seem to have less depth now than when we were back in the MWC days. What gives with that? It should be easier for us to recruit now. Better facilities, better conference, more exposure. Yet every mediocre year we hear GP whine about the same things. It's really pathetic.

And this was one of his most telling quotes from a few days ago about :

“Here’s what everybody needs to understand,” he added. “You have to manage a season. You’re not just managing a ball game, you’re managing a season. Which side of the ball is beat up? [Defense.] You better manage the season because the key is to get to six [wins] and then win more. It’s not just manage this ballgame."

What? Is he actually trying to get us to believe that he's making personnel decisions in the game based on what he thinks will happen and how it will affect the rest of the year??? Give me a break. Every game you're playing right now is the most important one. Sorry Gary, but you've never exhibited that kind of in game decision making regarding anything. From time management, to special teams decisions to even play calling much less trying to figure out who should be in the game at that moment in time based on what games you have left in the season.

Man, if we give this guy a contract extension I may be done. smh

Last edited:

Salfrog

Tier 1
Disagree. No extension. None. He had multiple chances to make the necessary changes. Give him an extension and lose all leverage. It's not like we're having to protect him from offers. No chance I even consider an extension. Not even if we win out this year.
I absolutely & totally am on board with this decision also. It is time to turn the page, but IF for some stupid reason they decide to extend GP, this is the only way it happens period.

Froggy Style

And this was one of his most telling quotes from a few days ago about :

“Here’s what everybody needs to understand,” he added. “You have to manage a season. You’re not just managing a ball game, you’re managing a season. Which side of the ball is beat up? [Defense.] You better manage the season because the key is to get to six [wins] and then win more. It’s not just manage this ballgame."
Agree...and within an article about Gary whining that he has never coached to lose....and then explains why he coached to lose!!! This tells us two things:
1) Gary really does just cares about 6 wins
2) Gary is too dumb to stick to a story about not coaching to lose for more than two minutes

These two items are enough to get fired from 45 schools. Gary is a top 10 paid coach. What is going on here?

Christcu

Agree...and within an article about Gary whining that he has never coached to lose....and then explains why he coached to lose!!! This tells us two things:
1) Gary really does just cares about 6 wins
2) Gary is too dumb to stick to a story about not coaching to lose for more than two minutes

These two items are enough to get fired from 45 schools. Gary is a top 10 paid coach. What is going on here?