• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football coach Gary Patterson goes on the defensive again

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU football coach Gary Patterson goes on the defensive again
FTW_TexasvsTCUcfb28
BY DREW DAVISON

A TCU graduate who wrote a lengthy piece calling for the university to fire Gary Patterson found its way to the head football coach.

Unprompted, Patterson spent close to seven minutes ranting about it during his news conference on Tuesday. The article titled “Gary Patterson Has No Plans to Make a Change, but TCU Should” was written by Matt Jennings, who majored in journalism during his time at TCU and now lives in the Atlanta area.

After answering a question about whether TCU’s defensive struggles are related in part to communication issues between the players, Patterson meandered into his thoughts on Jennings’ article.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article255115007.html#storylink=cpy

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Again, any take that offense is the problem is a bad take and understanding IMO. We are a bad defensive team, especially against the run. A decent defense and we are looking at one loss at worse. Maybe we are undefeated. Blame it on injuries which is a legit excuse but perhaps the underlying issue is a lack of quality depth playing in an offensive-power league like the Big 12. Maybe we missed on some guys.

Chongo94

“If I could tell the real story on a lot of things, then you’d see I’d do a lot of things a lot differently from what we have — from offseason work, to strength coaches, to how many recruiting people we have, to all the things that we do.”

This makes zero sense. Telling or not telling us the “real story” should in no way impede his ability to do things differently.

He’s going nowhere. And Donati says less than a non-speaking extra in a movie.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
“If I could tell the real story on a lot of things, then you’d see I’d do a lot of things a lot differently from what we have — from offseason work, to strength coaches, to how many recruiting people we have, to all the things that we do.”

This makes zero sense. Telling or not telling us the “real story” should in no way impede his ability to do things differently.

Yeah, we don't need the story. We want the problems fixed, preferably before we are out of the conference race, which is too late now.

Prime BEEF

This quote from him makes the situation look even worse. He knew what the right thing to do was but didn’t do it and if he could go back he’d do things differently.

That makes me even more skeptical of his ability to lead and make good decisions as issues arise

Eight

I’m really confused by those quotes. What is stopping him from doing it differently?

this...... gary is his own worst enemy as he continues to throw things out and no one in the media seems to call him on it.

consider two of his comments. strength coaches, so does this mean he doesn't like the s&c coach who works with the program? doesn't think he has enough staff? and why can't he explain and go into details if there is something holding back the program?

recruiting... he sure wasn't shy saying the school needed people to step up nil so what are the issues here? why did he hire the head of high school relations to replace fitch? who is todd wright who is the head of recruiting operations? why even mention them if you are happy with them and if you need more support in this area why aren't you getting it?

stop this passive/ aggressive bull [ Finebaum ] of i would i could tell you but i can't but it is a great story and would explain everything but i won't

what is the worst they are going to do, fire you?

PO Frog

Imagine being such a non-entity in the college football world that at a press conference your coach can imply that something is holding back the program from practicing, recruiting, and S&C the way the coach wants, and there is not a single follow up or care in the world as to what he means by that.

The interest in the program is nonexistent right now. We don’t even do a GP press conference thread anymore. Time for a change at the top.

Big Frog II

Bottom line is our defense is pathetic and our special teams are poorly coached. We must get these fixed. I had such high hopes for this season after the way we finished last year, but we have been a huge disappointment.

JugbandFrog

Imagine being such a non-entity in the college football world that at a press conference your coach can imply that something is holding back the program from practicing, recruiting, and S&C the way the coach wants, and there is not a single follow up or care in the world as to what he means by that.

The interest in the program is nonexistent right now. We don’t even do a GP press conference thread anymore. Time for a change at the top.

I miss the Bill Parcells’ press conferences when he was a Cowboy. Man were those entertaining and insightful. They used to broadcast them on ESPN 103.3.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Paywall. DNR.

However, from the commentary above, I glean that GMFP is whining about things not being done right? Not enough staff? I don't know if he realizes this, but you run the Football Program, GMFP!!! Any issues you may be having can be solved very, very simply. Personally. There's no one else there to take blame.

As to ADJD, he does a very good impersonation of The Sphinx for a reason: He always keeps his cards close to the vest. He has never, as far as I know, gone off and made bloviating, dopey statements to the Media. He keeps things tight, well controlled, and succinct. When he has something to say, likely the week of 22 November, we'll know.

Fiscuits

Gary has always "smirked" (figuratively or literally) as if he's the smartest football person on the planet and that we should be grateful that he's been here as long as he has. When he was winning, it was easy to go along with it. It's what we all loved about him.

I am grateful for all the years Gary has been here, and I am grateful that he's a nice guy and has done good things for Fort Worth. I am grateful he has been paid over $60 million by TCU. He's earned it. (and that's his on the record TCU money, his side deals with TCU donors take it up over $100 million. He is truly, completely, generationally wealthy).

But when your teams have not been good at all 5 out of the last 6 years...humility is long over due. And Gary has zero humility in his football persona. None. Never has. It's part of what you love about him (the cockiness) and now what makes you want to run him out of town.

Fans don't want excuses, they don't want his reasoning, they don't want his belly aching on a mic, they don't want him commenting on stupid news articles, or "woe is me" injury reports...they want one thing. WIN. That's it. No one cares how you do it, just freaking win.

Now maybe he feels putting a positive spin on everything "defy"'s the negativity to catch up with him.
Or maybe if he "deny"'s anything is wrong, it doesn't actually exist.

However, his fan base isn't turning on him...it has turned. Time will tell if he starts winning again, or, is actually able to change his football philosophy. The time has come.

Austintxfrog94

Again, any take that offense is the problem is a bad take and understanding IMO. We are a bad defensive team, especially against the run. A decent defense and we are looking at one loss at worse. Maybe we are undefeated. Blame it on injuries which is a legit excuse but perhaps the underlying issue is a lack of quality depth playing in an offensive-power league like the Big 12. Maybe we missed on some guys.
I blame the lack of a Dick...Bumpas

matmoo123

At this stage it feels like he went to the Donald Trump school for media training: Tons of unforced errors, too thin skinned, would be better served by talking less, winning more.