• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football bracing for possible staff departures

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU football bracing for possible staff departures

By Drew Davison

TCU coach Gary Patterson hasn’t made any staff changes as of yet, but it could happen by default.

Multiple assistants on Patterson’s staff have been linked to other openings around the country, something that isn’t too surprising. TCU has become a powerhouse over the last two decades, going to bowl games in 16 of 19 seasons under Patterson.

As TCU athletic director Jeremiah Donati said, “Given the caliber of coaches we have on staff, it is easy to understand why some would be targeted by other schools looking to improve their football programs.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article238364838.html#storylink=cpy

Froginbedford

Is there a guarantee that any of these possible defections will be replaced with someone better? I'm not trying to defend the status quo, but with the last couple of years, who among assistant coaches across the country would want to come here?
Before anyone torches me, yes, I am a TCU fan...since 1956, before possibly most of you on here were born....I want to see winning seasons, but recognize that 8-4 or 9-3 might realistically be the ceiling most years...but that's certainly more digestible than 4-8, 5-7, and 6-6....

Tumbleweed

Our players were underperforming ALL year. Motivation, primadonnas, lazy, this and more. Transfers from the program(s) are abundant and not just football; but this is about Gary's program.

It's a start anyway. Good luck toads your house needs fixing.

Last edited:

East Coast

Tier 1
Our players were underperforming ALL year. Motivation, primadonnas, lazy, this and more. Sound and appears we had a unhappy locker room. Transfers from the program(s) are abundant and not just football; but this is about Gary's program.

At some point, usually after a dismal year, you look in the mirror at yourself long and hard. Pencil to paper as they used to say and write down all the negatives and then the positives. Everything nothing is too small. Put some order to them and set out to accomplish solutions. It's the same way in business b/c football with the millions of dollars earned is truly a business and we weren't running this business smartly. Cough, choke and smile and then cough, choke and smile again is a good description. for the year.
It's a start anyway. Good luck toads your house needs fixing.
I didn’t get any vibe that this group of kids was lazy. There was smoke in 2018 concerning the locker room, but I didn’t hear about any problems this year. I think you are being unfair.

East Coast

Tier 1
It might be a good thing for some staff to leave for promotions; especially for our ability to attract new top notch replacements. D Patterson was on Bailef’s (sic) staff at Rice and I wouldn’t be surprised if he desired to get back on the field.
IMO, there isn’t a single staff member that doesn’t have a place within Gary’s organization, I was just hoping for some significant role changes.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Is there a guarantee that any of these possible defections will be replaced with someone better? I'm not trying to defend the status quo, but with the last couple of years, who among assistant coaches across the country would want to come here?
Before anyone torches me, yes, I am a TCU fan...since 1956, before possibly most of you on here were born....I want to see winning seasons, but recognize that 8-4 or 9-3 might realistically be the ceiling most years...but that's certainly more digestible than 4-8, 5-7, and 6-6....
What assistant coaches would want to come here? You don’t think any good coach would want to come here? How about anyone at a lesser program, lower conference, a team with less exposure, a coach that wants to learn from one of the greatest defensive minds in football, someone that would like a raise, or an increase in responsibility or a promotion. That’s who.

Froggish

I like Fitch and Gonzalez quite a bit and would hate to see them go...It bothers me greatly that none of the guys we’d like to see go are on that list. I wish we’d just fill up all the analyst positions with all the older guys that GP keeps around for continuity.

Let’s be honest, except in “promotion” situations, a non GP induced exodus by staff from a 5–7 Football team is not a good look for the state of our program.

Having to fill more than a couple of positions on staff at once would be tough on a guy like GP

Moose Stuff

What assistant coaches would want to come here? You don’t think any good coach would want to come here? How about anyone at a lesser program, lower conference, a team with less exposure, a coach that wants to learn from one of the greatest defensive minds in football, someone that would like a raise, or an increase in responsibility or a promotion. That’s who.

Great area, we pay well, relatively low pressure.... coaches will want to come here.

Froginbedford

I wasn't throwing shade on the program....I was expressing the question of who out there might be motivated to move here....Your reply answers the query quite well....

asleep003

Finally, a non-tool job share... a very well thought out reply, to a not so well thought out remark.

Pharm Frog

Serious question because I do not keep up once someone leaves TCU but what coaches have worked under GP and moved on to better jobs after having learned the defensive side of the LOS? I would suppose there’s a few at least.

Moose Stuff

Serious question because I do not keep up once someone leaves TCU but what coaches have worked under GP and moved on to better jobs after having learned the defensive side of the LOS? I would suppose there’s a few at least.

Glasgow, Cross....... obviously didn’t work real well.