• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU basketball to make its debut on ESPN+ as it takes on Oklahoma on Saturday

CountryFrog

Guys just pay attention to the whole country. Nobody is good. We are 3-2 in conference and again , I think it will come together.

We expected a down year . Gotta stay strong . Wvu got creamed today by a team we beat .

Stuff happens. Our home games are important and we know that but man I hate this reactionary fanbase. No perspective.

Oklahoma has our # tho. Like we have Iowa States.
I hear you on the reactionary fan base stuff (that's EVERY fanbase in all of sports btw) but what perspective is it that you think people should have? Perspective is about looking at the larger picture and not just a single game or two, right? Well, the larger picture is that we've made the NCAA tournament once in the last 20 years. I'm not a doom and gloom guy. I don't think we suck. I think we're actually a pretty good D1 basketball team. I'm certainly not calling for Dixon's job like some trolls on here. BUT, I also understand people who would like to see more than just an every other decade trip to the tournament before totally buying in on the direction of everything.

I certainly see improvement and reasons to be optimistic for the future. But I also see a flawed team that could finish just about anywhere from 5th to last (I don't think we'll be last just saying it's possible) in this conference. So I understand the hesitancy that some people have. Then there are absolutely some others who take it waaaaay too far and are either trolls or just totally ignorant.

CountryFrog

I don't agree with the down playing of the Frogs 3 wins in conference. I get that those teams haven't won many games, but I also don't think we're in a place right now as a program to down play any Big 12 win. We've got 3 of them this year. Didn't we have about 3 total in our first 3 years in the Big 12?

I suppose it depends on the conversation you're trying to have. If you're comparing the Frogs to the top of the Big 12 then pointing these things out is fair. I just don't think there's any reason to be comparing this team to the top of the Big 12 yet. I'll personally be thrilled if we finish in the top 6 but there's no way we're cracking the top 4 and I'm ok with that for now.

Eight

I don't agree with the down playing of the Frogs 3 wins in conference. I get that those teams haven't won many games, but I also don't think we're in a place right now as a program to down play any Big 12 win. We've got 3 of them this year. Didn't we have about 3 total in our first 3 years in the Big 12?

I suppose it depends on the conversation you're trying to have. If you're comparing the Frogs to the top of the Big 12 then pointing these things out is fair. I just don't think there's any reason to be comparing this team to the top of the Big 12 yet. I'll personally be thrilled if we finish in the top 6 but there's no way we're cracking the top 4 and I'm ok with that for now.

don't agree with the idea that in year 4 of dixon's time at tcu the frogs should be happy for any win in the big 12 and i do think if the matter of perspective is in question then perspective should be considered on the 3 teams tcu beat to open conference play.

the frogs won 22 games in their first 3 seasons under dixon so thinking they should be competitive isn't a pipe dream. no one is expecting them to be in the top third of the conference, but there is nothing wrong with hoping/ thinking that going into year 4 with dixon the program should not be in a complete rebuild.

how long is long enough for dixon to have had to put this program in a position that they are "competitive" in the conference? how many recruiting classes? how is it other programs who have freshmen who can contribute in year 1 and the frogs have a third year guard who still struggles to effectively shoot the ball?

this isn't a call for the pitch forks, but the claim some lack perspective i think rings a bit hollow when 11 recruits either never made it to campus or are gone for a variety of reasons and the fan base is called out for being unrealistic and impatient

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

All I can say is that I attended precisely two games since returning to the FTW area in 2000 until Dixon was hired. Went to one game in 2009 with a former Frog ballplayer who has been my boss twice in my career. Went to one several years ago against ISU when a gracious poster here gave me two tickets. I've been to probably 13-15 games in the last three years. I don't expect conference championships. I don't even expect to be in the top four of the conference in the next few years. I do think there's something odd going on with the recruitment/retention of players but have no idea what it is. My hunch is that we're going to be mid-to-bottom tier in this conference for the foreseeable future unless some stud comes here to play or someone we didn't expect develops into a stud.

4th. down

This team is soft, don’t have any dogs on the roster. Our best player always finds a way to be absent when we need him most. We have a very good low post player who was a good 5 inches taller then anyone guarding him but we had 25% three point shooters shooting 3s all game. Some of that goes on the coaching.

Some of it? You do what I say or you sit.

MTfrog5

All I can say is that I attended precisely two games since returning to the FTW area in 2000 until Dixon was hired. Went to one game in 2009 with a former Frog ballplayer who has been my boss twice in my career. Went to one several years ago against ISU when a gracious poster here gave me two tickets. I've been to probably 13-15 games in the last three years. I don't expect conference championships. I don't even expect to be in the top four of the conference in the next few years. I do think there's something odd going on with the recruitment/retention of players but have no idea what it is. My hunch is that we're going to be mid-to-bottom tier in this conference for the foreseeable future unless some stud comes here to play or someone we didn't expect develops into a stud.
I do think Fuller and Bello are going to be really really good. Need to get something better at the 5 though to really compete for a conference title imo

Francis Xav

I understand all feelings here..:but context is important...I think we were a top ten team last year until the mass exodus.

That definitely took us off course. We are still young and season is still young.

Dixon has to light a fire under this team’s @$$.

We have talent, more than people think. We are still not where we can be.

I do wish we were progressing faster though. Relatively speaking I am not panicking. If we finish top 6 we make tourney.

Eight

I understand all feelings here..:but context is important...I think we were a top ten team last year until the mass exodus.

That definitely took us off course. We are still young and season is still young.

Dixon has to light a fire under this team’s @$$.

We have talent, more than people think. We are still not where we can be.

I do wish we were progressing faster though. Relatively speaking I am not panicking. If we finish top 6 we make tourney.

the season is starting to go by quickly as the frogs have played 17 games and are scheduled to play 14 more, then conference tournament, and tbd....

conference play frogs are 1/3 of the way after the tech game on tuesday so there is some time to regain composure. the next four games are going to be significant in how tcu handles the challenge of tech, @arkansas, texas, @ baylor.

losing the next 4 isn't a catastrophe if the team competes and shows they are trying to do the things they need to win (i.e. move the basketball on the offensive end, etc..)

Wexahu

don't agree with the idea that in year 4 of dixon's time at tcu the frogs should be happy for any win in the big 12 and i do think if the matter of perspective is in question then perspective should be considered on the 3 teams tcu beat to open conference play.

the frogs won 22 games in their first 3 seasons under dixon so thinking they should be competitive isn't a pipe dream. no one is expecting them to be in the top third of the conference, but there is nothing wrong with hoping/ thinking that going into year 4 with dixon the program should not be in a complete rebuild.

how long is long enough for dixon to have had to put this program in a position that they are "competitive" in the conference? how many recruiting classes? how is it other programs who have freshmen who can contribute in year 1 and the frogs have a third year guard who still struggles to effectively shoot the ball?

this isn't a call for the pitch forks, but the claim some lack perspective i think rings a bit hollow when 11 recruits either never made it to campus or are gone for a variety of reasons and the fan base is called out for being unrealistic and impatient

I think the head coach has an arrogance about him and a somewhat grating personality and style of coaching that makes him hard to play for. And because of that I’m not real optimistic about things getting much better with him at the helm.

CountryFrog

A lot of what you're saying may be true but it seems you're looking at all of this from the perspective of the entire program. So judging some of the things you're speaking of is probably fair from that perspective.

At this point, though, the recruiting misses have already happened, the transfers are already gone, etc. I'm simply speaking in terms of THIS SEASON and the way things are for THIS TEAM.

As for the program as a whole, even with all of the things that have happened that can be placed at the feet of the staff in one way or another, we're also probably two healthy Jaylen Fisher seasons away (and whatever academic issues there may have been) from having been in the tournament the last two years and working on year #3 right now. So it's not like it's been ALL the fault of the coaches. Some of this has been beyond their control and we've still put a good team on the floor the past 3 years. I do agree, though, these things that have set the program back need to stop but for now I'm willing to forgive Dixon.

Pharm Frog

I think the head coach has an arrogance about him and a somewhat grating personality and style of coaching that makes him hard to play for. And because of that I’m not real optimistic about things getting much better with him at the helm.

There’s little doubt in my mind that the hire was more to spark fan interest in a dead program than final fours but I’m not sure there’s many successful head coaches out there without high levels of arrogance.

Eight

A lot of what you're saying may be true but it seems you're looking at all of this from the perspective of the entire program. So judging some of the things you're speaking of is probably fair from that perspective.

At this point, though, the recruiting misses have already happened, the transfers are already gone, etc. I'm simply speaking in terms of THIS SEASON and the way things are for THIS TEAM.

As for the program as a whole, even with all of the things that have happened that can be placed at the feet of the staff in one way or another, we're also probably two healthy Jaylen Fisher seasons away (and whatever academic issues there may have been) from having been in the tournament the last two years and working on year #3 right now. So it's not like it's been ALL the fault of the coaches. Some of this has been beyond their control and we've still put a good team on the floor the past 3 years. I do agree, though, these things that have set the program back need to stop but for now I'm willing to forgive Dixon.

a boss once told me that if i was ever in a position to hire some people to expect to be disappointed by a few hires i was certain on , have a few things happen that i could never expect, and remember that if these things happen again and again the problem isn't their's but your's

in respect to viewing issues unique to this team versus the program there are some issues unique to this team, but when we see some of the same problems repeat over multiple seasons the two become intertwined