• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU basketball’s Jamie Dixon surprised by Jay Wright’s sudden retirement

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU basketball’s Jamie Dixon surprised by Jay Wright’s sudden retirement

BY DREW DAVISON

Like most in the college basketball world, TCU basketball coach Jamie Dixon was caught off guard Wednesday night when news broke that Villanova coach Jay Wright would retire.

Wright, 60, is regarded as one of the game’s top coaches with two national championships and just led the Wildcats to a Final Four appearance. The sport saw two coaches end their careers following the Final Four this season (Wright and Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski).

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article260642822.html#storylink=cpy

LVH

Tired of the new crap associated with coaching including NIL and portal. That’s what I’ve read.
I can't stand it. College basketball has turned into free agency every offseason. It's a total free for all and so many misguided players who think the grass is greener elsewhere.

Virginia Frog

I can't stand it. College basketball has turned into free agency every offseason. It's a total free for all and so many misguided players who think the grass is greener elsewhere.
This "jumping around" from school to school seems counterproductive if the athlete's quest is to obtain their degree.

Most top-quality schools have a tenure requirement of 30 or 60 hours (1 year or 2) at their school in order to be granted a degree. TCU's is more of the two year variety, So if I understand it correctly if an athletes comes in with let's s 90 hours credit (120 hour required) they'd have to take 30 excess credits (30 needed for the degree, 60 for the university's rules) to be granted the sheepskin. Further, the program (i.e. English, Business, Engineering) has their own requirements that could vary from school to school and credit transferability could be effected. That's quite a dis-incentive to the transferee (if a degree is a goal.)

Maybe the schools can "make exceptions" (does the NCAA allow schools to treat athletes better/differently than the everyday student?)

The answer could be that these transferring ballplayers don't care about a degree and that's just a part of the false veneer of being a "student-athlete." It's just a wink-wink that they are not REALLY "students."