• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU athletic director ‘really nervous’ about California’s new Fair Pay to Play Act

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU athletic director ‘really nervous’ about California’s new Fair Pay to Play Act

By Drew Davison

TCU athletic director Jeremiah Donati didn’t sugarcoat his concern level over California’s ‘Fair Pay to Play Act’ that was unanimously passed by California’s legislature on Sept. 11.

The bill would allow student athletes to accept compensation for use of their names, likenesses and images. It’s now on Gov. Gavin Newsom’s desk and he has 30 days from when it was passed to either sign it into law or veto it. The law wouldn’t go into effect until January 2023.

“It worries me a lot,” Donati told the Star-Telegram last week.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article235278502.html#storylink=cpy

Paint It Purple

The NCAA is a voluntary organization. Follow the rules or leave and join the NAIA or start your own group. I don't think the NCAA will miss any California state school.
Someone asked me the other day what I thought was wrong with the PAC-12. I said, "except for Stanford, they're all state schools run by bureaucrats from states with insane policies and ideologies. Administrators can screw up anything."

robbroyy

Because it will have to be the same amount as the 5 star QB
Not if it’s outside entities paying the athletes. Title IX is the reason I’ve been screaming schools should never pay the athletes. Our tennis team would have to make as much as Max Duggan.

however if it’s outside entities it’s like the Olympics. Fuzzys asks Lucas Niang to come sign autographs for 2 hours. Then it’s on him to make sure he doesn’t miss class or practice for it and he can do it.

I’m sure there’s unintended consequences but I think it’s a great compromise. For 97% of athletes it won’t change anything but the 3% that will it’s preparing them for what life will be like as a pro balancing on the field commitments with off the field opportunities.

Moose Stuff

Not if it’s outside entities paying the athletes. Title IX is the reason I’ve been screaming schools should never pay the athletes. Our tennis team would have to make as much as Max Duggan.

however if it’s outside entities it’s like the Olympics. Fuzzys asks Lucas Niang to come sign autographs for 2 hours. Then it’s on him to make sure he doesn’t miss class or practice for it and he can do it.

I’m sure there’s unintended consequences but I think it’s a great compromise. For 97% of athletes it won’t change anything but the 3% that will it’s preparing them for what life will be like as a pro balancing on the field commitments with off the field opportunities.

Do we really want our 18-22 year old athletes making the decision “What’s more important to me? Studying or getting paid?”? Or “What’s more important to me? “Watching film or getting paid?”?

When college sports becomes some lesser version of pro sports I’m out.

flyfishingfrog

just wait until some car dealer in Houston offers a kid $200k to be his "spokesperson" as long as he is the QB at Aggie or a USC donor shells out $100k for a "speaking engagement" for an incoming RB for a meet and greet to meet the alumni.

The reality is football boosters in many schools have a lot more money to spend on attracting recruits than most people realize and this is going to get out of hand without some form of cap like a single player can't get more than $10k/year, etc.

Can you imagine how many "marketing" deals T Boone would have been willing to sign to attract a #1 recruiting class for Okie Lite if he could have done it legally and above board?

DeuceBoogieNights

Do we really want our 18-22 year old athletes making the decision “What’s more important to me? Studying or getting paid?”? Or “What’s more important to me? “Watching film or getting paid?”?

18-22 year-olds are already making this decision. Go to college or get a job. Go the military or go to college. If an 18 year old can be allowed to signup for the military Im fine with them deciding if they want to make money or not.

Frog-in-law1995

Can the state of California legislate that their athletes are eligible for 8 seasons?

That California schools get 10 points per touchdown?

That California schools can have 200 scholarship athletes in football, or a full baseball team?