• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson on Fair Pay to Play Act: Amateur athletics go away if bidding wars start

Wexahu

One other reason I am against the "Olympic" model is because the players likeness is directly tied to the school they chose. With the Olympics the vast majority of athletes can not pick and chose what country they play for. Yes, there are some duel citizens, but by and large most people are only eligible to participate for one country. They are not choosing which country to represent based on how it will effect the NIL rights. However, with college athletics players do have the ability to chose which "country" to play for, and their NIL is directly linked to where they decide to attend. The current level playing field of (scholarship, food, coaching, etc) will forever be un-level ("our school can increase your NIL because we have xxx number of alumni and yyy number of rich alumni who will market you")

I do think sports leagues have to be treated a bit differently, just because their mere survival depends on it. Without the draft, rights of players being granted to specific teams, and a salary cap the NFL would not work. Are any of those things normal or "fair" in the typical job market? No, and I know they are collectively bargained for, but both sides understand for the league to succeed certain rules need to be in place.

There is absolutely no way in hell a pay for play system where players can choose to play wherever they want, and in effect go to the highest bidder, can ever work in competitive team sports unless some kind of cap on spending was instituted. And there is no way a cap could be regulated in college sports, especially if entities outside the realm of the university are going to get involved in the funding.

Think Green Bay Packers or Buffalo Bills trying to compete with the Dallas Cowboys with no draft and no salary cap.

Planks

Adapt or die, but it's becoming increasingly clear that you can't be a professional-in-everything-but-name football league signing hundred-million dollar TV rights deals, hiring coaches for tens of millions of dollars, building hundred million dollar stadiums, sell millions in tickets to watch kids play, and selling millions in merchandise with star-player's number / likeness on it...and then say "Whoa whoa, you're amateurs" when those players ask for the right to monetize their labor. As I said before, the status quo isn't going to work.

This is a great point. There’s currently a duality that simply isn’t sustainable long term. College football continues to be more and more profit driven, while at the same time re-affirming the athletes status as amateurs.

If college football is an “amateur” sport, why do we have conferences that span halfway across the country? Wouldn’t it make more sense for “amateurs” to be playing close to home to lessen their travel time away from family and class work? That would make sense, but geographically spread out conferences make more TV money, so that’s what we have.

Why is it that some coaches of this “amateur” sport are paid more than NFL coaches? Why is it that in this amateur sport we are building hundred million dollar sport complexes and locker rooms and luxury boxes.

College football is a professional sport in all but name. Every action that is taken is taken to maximize profit. College football doesn’t operate like any other amateur sport.

Last edited:

Wexahu

The current arrangement is not fair to the players.

Then why are thousands and thousands of kids (and not just poor ones who don't have any other options) lining up to take part in it? That just makes no sense to me. Why willingly take part in something that isn't fair? It's a lot of kids dream to play sports at the college level? Do you think growing up those kids really give a rats ass about fairness of the distribution of income?

jake102

I certainly agree it's an unjust system. But all of the proposals will just create a dead system where nobody wins. So what would you rather have? A few winners or no winners?

Kids wanting scholarships is for many reasons to a lot that is their only chance to play professionally period. These kids need agents and help negotiating their scholarships so they don’t get screwed. Now the players are risking their lives with concussion issues. Why should the players get an equal or larger piece of the pie.

When you graduate can you take your highest job offer? Why can’t college athletes? Hypocrisy at its finest.

MAcFroggy

Kids wanting scholarships is for many reasons to a lot that is their only chance to play professionally period. These kids need agents and help negotiating their scholarships so they don’t get screwed. Now the players are risking their lives with concussion issues. Why should the players get an equal or larger piece of the pie.

When you graduate can you take your highest job offer? Why can’t college athletes? Hypocrisy at its finest.

Partly because the professional players unions and the leagues have prevented 18 year old adults from taking jobs in the leagues. They have forced these kids to "play school" even if they do not want to. A lot of this discussion should really be directed at the leagues and unions and not necessarily the NCAA.

That is partly why I think Lebron being so outspoken about this policy is so hypocritical. He is an active member in an organization that does not allow american adults to become a member or receive gainful employment strictly because they are 18 years old.

Planks

Then why are thousands and thousands of kids (and not just poor ones who don't have any other options) lining up to take part in it? That just makes no sense to me. Why willingly take part in something that isn't fair? It's a lot of kids dream to play sports at the college level? Do you think growing up those kids really give a rats ass about fairness of the distribution of income?

I don’t know why college athletes play. It could be for any number of reasons, including pure love of the game. I think a lot of athletes (the majority) are under the impression that college football will be their spring board to the NFL and a big time professional contract, even though the reality is only 1% or so will make it. I think a lot of players are fed false hope in the recruiting process about their chances.

But just because athletes choose to play college football doesn’t make it fair. And again, even if it is fair, it still doesn’t change the fact that college football in its current state can not survive as long as the optics are rich white people making money of the backs of unpaid black athletes.

Wexahu

Partly because the professional players unions and the leagues have prevented 18 year old adults from taking jobs in the leagues. They have forced these kids to "play school" even if they do not want to. A lot of this discussion should really be directed at the leagues and unions and not necessarily the NCAA.

That is partly why I think Lebron being so outspoken about this policy is so hypocritical. He is an active member in an organization that does not allow american adults to become a member or receive gainful employment strictly because they are 18 years old.

Bingo.

College football is a magical sport for millions of fans. It’s practically a way of life for many. The passion of the fans is unique and in in its own way, exceeds that of professional sports.

Why are so many people willing to possibly mess with it? I really question how much will be gained here by anyone but a few select athletes at a small number of schools, but with a potential to completely upend the entire system if things go sideways.

We’ve reached this place in society where the only measure of progress is if we are conquering grievances or unfairness. In only considering the players needs here, the politicians aren’t taking into account that it could completely disrupt an industry that millions of people are invested in emotionally and financially. It’s also an industry that employs ten of thousands who could be affected negatively. I don’t mean to marginalize the role players have, but college athletics are an entire ecosystem that is greater than any single part. Many sports could be jettisoned if football and/or basketball revenues go way down. So if “fairness” or “justice” is the goal, I think this could be a big swing-and-miss.

Zubaz

I agree with the broader point, but to be fair to him, Lebron went straight from high school to the NBA and has been a vocal critic both of the NCAA and of the one-and-done rule.

MAcFroggy

I agree with the broader point, but to be fair to him, Lebron went straight from high school to the NBA and has been a vocal critic both of the NCAA and of the one-and-done rule.

Yeah, he benefited from the rule, joined the union, increased the nba minimum age to 19, and now that his son is almost 18 he is fighting to decrease it back to 18. Seems like he is looking out for himself and his family and not actually worried about how this effects schools or anybody else.

Double V

Oh brother.

As Dr Butler often said between Elvis quotes: "Defined narrowly enough, everything is a Monopoly. Defined broadly enough, nothing is." I'd argue you are being too broad to say "you can earn a living doing something else therefore they don't have a monopoly". I would suggest it is fairly clear the NFL has a de-facot and are in general protected by both market share and legislation when they engage in anticompetitive practice (like prohibiting younger players from being drafted, or signing exclusive network contracts). The NCAA therefore certainly has a de-facto monopoly on U-21 American football.

We are in agreement on ending those protections.
Butler is great, and correct. Glad we can agree there, but Under 21 American Football is a pretty damn narrow labor market, and the alternatives quite broad.

In other words, I may be defining too broadly, but no more than you are too narrowly.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Isn't it already fair? If it wasn't, why do so many young men sign up for the deal?

Not only that, but look down at the sideline at every home game and you'll find 20-30 walk-ons dressed out at football games, literally playing the game for free. And every single team has them, some up to 50+ players.

So you're got a group of scholarship kids being taken advantage of by adults because they can't make extra money, yet there is a line behind them of kids (with I'm sure their parent's consent) willing to take their place and do the same work for absolutely zero monetary compensation. What an injustice we have here.

WhatTheFrog

Silly me, I thought the reason for going to college was to obtain an education (I suppose athletics could be considered an "education", probably more comparable to trade school) in order to better yourself and increase earning potential AFTER school. I was broke as [ Finebaum ] while I was going to college and I knew that was going to be the case. I don't know of anyone that went to college with the understanding that they would be maximizing their earnings while they were actively attending school.

Scholarship athletes that leave school debt-free? What a huge head start they have on everyone else even if they don't go pro. Hopefully, they take the education part of higher education seriously. I mean, that's the point, right?

If these guys want to get paid, they should get together and approach the NFL with a compelling proposal for an NFL development league. Without such an arrangement, the athlete is selling earnings from his likeness for exposure to the professional level scouts and analysts. That's the way I see it, anyway.