• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson explains why he didn’t go for win at end of regulation

Wexahu

Absolutely! You have a freshman quarterback and you want to make the game as easy as possible for him to develop. So what does Cumbie do-- have him drop back in the pocket with a poor offensive line and wait and wait for someone to get open 18 to 30 yards downfield. Why not predetermined quick Slants and the like that eliminate his progressions till the game slows down. I just don't understand it.

Slants are thrown to the part of the field we try to avoid. Hell, I’m at a loss at this point. I just know we suck on offense, and have for a long time.

Bruce Berry

Different circumstances. The end of the first half and the end of regulation aren't even the same. Do you know how much GP would have been roasted if TCU had thrown an interception on that last drive and Baylor had kicked a field goal?

You're right he would have been "roasted'. Kinda like going to overtime and losing.

Pharm Frog

Gary, you have obviously forgotten the number 1 rule:

No One, and I mean No One is bigger than the program and that includes YOU.

"Next man up."

And that hurts me to say. But you have become a stubborn arse.

Let's not pretend that he's ever been anything but a stubborn arse as many (or most) people at his level of his profession tend to be. It's just that he sounds like a stubborn arse and isn't winning ball games.

Tumbleweed

remember once possibly twice last year that very same call and very same response.

Having to chew my cud and hold my response to that statement.

TCUdirtbag

I tend to agree with him that you play for OT at home in that situation. We had something like 70 yards all half, we had zero vertical passing threat, we really going to do anything in 34 seconds? The risk / reward there is way out of whack.

That said, Coach often gets a bit too defensive in cases like this. No need to be so antagonistic.

CGP makes a defensible argument, whether or not I agree with it. What his argument doesn’t explain is why he pocketed all 3 timeouts / didn’t freeze a kicker whose career long was 38 and was trying a 52 yarder.

Those two decisions should’ve been linked.

MadFrog

Gary knows. He has a QB that is not very accurate (BTW, he was high and wide to an open receiver on the last play of the game) and a ton of receivers who can't catch. Plus, he has an offensive line who can't block.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
No fan would have been upset at Patterson if we nutted up and tried to get into Kell’s range with 3 TOs in our pocket and Duggan throws a pick. Not. One. Fan.

Coming out at half Kell was kicking FGs from midfield with about a 33% accuracy, and from the 45 with a 80% accuracy. You get 30 yards you give the team a chance to win. Period.

Froggy Style

If you use your time outs, knowing you're going to need the time, then you don't need vertical routes, you just need three or four short past completions. You should be aware of this, you did it against UT.

Sorry Gary...you screwed up again, with time, time outs, scoring....just anything to do with actual coaching that is not defense. (of course, you panicked at the end and blitzed everyone when an incompletion wins the game and you gave up a free TD instead).