• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson doubles down on crowd: It’s more than a social event

HFrog12

I wonder where the big money donors have seats at places like OU, Ohio State, and Bama. I suspect up in the nosebleeds so that the "real fans" can sit on the 50 yard line.

Honestly it is really hard to compare because a lot of those schools haven't done complete stadium renovations therefore completely restarting the process. LSU and other big state school truly have the "real fans" on the 50 yard line because those families have been buying them for years. Then if they want to relinquish, there are other fans with points that have been accumulated over the years or through donations that have the ability to move. There was never the option for "big money donors" to just swoop in and grab premium lower bowl seats. TCU instead gave a one time corporate style opportunity to make a donation and keep those seats in perpetuity. The value proposition for big money donors in the Amon Carter stadium renovation was for suites and club seats. They didn't need to give those same donors in clubs and suites additional tickets between the 25s in the lower bowl. It is clear that people do not really use those tickets. Yet "real fans" kindly give or sell those tickets to opposing fans on a regular basis.

I have said it many times that attendance in college football is not just a TCU problem. Bad seats in bad weather or vs. bad opponents do not get filled all across the country. However, attendance in the lower bowl between the 25s IS just a TCU problem. Just look at the secondary market and it's pretty telling. Pick a game at TCU and you will see a bunch of listings for $300 +. Look at a comparable game in Austin and those same seats are $300 -. The TCU ticket holder in those seats has shown no desire to sell at a reasonable price. Half don't even care to list. I would say good for them for using them but then time and time again you look at that section during the game and it's scarce.

I am not sure I want to get started on the ridiculousness that is the 5 feet wide rows in those sections depriving ticket holders another 5 or so rows of seats.