• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson doubles down on crowd: It’s more than a social event

HFrog12

Can anyone remember who wanted to drop the home & homes we had signed sealed and delivered with Ohio St and LSU for 1 and dones at JerryWorld?

And who is it in the program that wants to continue playing SMU every year?

Didn't we have something lined up with Notre Dame also and then it moved to a one time Jerry World and then no game at all?

Double V

We lose to SMU, and he's talking about national championships? C'mon, Gary....

Win the games we are supposed to win and the crowd will show up, I promise.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
TCU’s Patterson doubles down on crowd: It’s more than a social event

By Drew Davison

Gary Patterson isn’t apologizing for his criticism of TCU’s home crowd during the Frogs’ 41-38 loss to crosstown rival SMU last Saturday. Instead, he’s doubling down on it.

“It’s my job just to coach ballgames,” Patterson said during his radio show on 92.1 Hank FM on Thursday night. “But if TCU ever wants to get to the point where we want to win a national championship, we’re going to have to decide that we’re not going to let anybody else in.

“When we do that, then at that point in time we’ll get to that point. I’m not upset with anyone, but the bottom line to it is I want to have a home-field advantage. If we’re going to let as many people of the other color down close to the field as we did the other day, it’s going to be very hard [to have a home-field advantage].”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article235540602.html#storylink=cpy

Hey Gary, it’s 95 degrees!!

If TCU or Big 12 or any other school or conference wants butts in the seats, then they need to tell the tv networks to off” and play games in September AT NIGHT!!!!

Went to the KU game and there was maybe 10,000 people there. Who wants to sit out in that

Beyond stupid!!!!
Half the 10,000 left at halftime.

ADs and HCs need to say enough is enough.

It’s unhealthy for the players, the band, and all the fans!!!

If it had been played at 730p, there would have been 40,000.
It ain’t brain surgery!!!

Eight

Hey Gary,

someone remind me back in the 50's and 60's before television ruled college football were september games played at night or in the afternoon and if so was it hot back then or has climate change scheissed up college football season as well as melted the ice caps

Froginbedford

someone remind me back in the 50's and 60's before television ruled college football were september games played at night or in the afternoon and if so was it hot back then or has climate change scheissed up college football season as well as melted the ice caps

In the 1950s and 1960s, through the early 1970s before Houston joined the SWC, the first game of the season didn't occur until mid-September, there was maybe one bye week, but most years not one, and only 10 games allowed by the NCAA in the regular season....With a bye week, the season ended on Thanksgiving weekend....But from 1960 on, there were 8 SWC members, which meant a bye week was not mathematically necessary....That therefore allowed UT & A&M to play the last game of the regular season on Thanksgiving Day....And yeah, those first 3 or 4 weeks had evening kickoffs....

Eight

In the 1950s and 1960s, through the early 1970s before Houston joined the SWC, the first game of the season didn't occur until mid-September, there was maybe one bye week, but most years not one, and only 10 games allowed by the NCAA in the regular season....With a bye week, the season ended on Thanksgiving weekend....But from 1960 on, there were 8 SWC members, which meant a bye week was not mathematically necessary....That therefore allowed UT & A&M to play the last game of the regular season on Thanksgiving Day....And yeah, those first 3 or 4 weeks had evening kickoffs....

thanks, my only real exposure was selling cokes in the cotton bowl in the late 70's for a boy scout fund raiser and it was really hot for some of the games including texas -ou first part of october.

McGregor's Goat

As far as I can tell, GP likes coaching at a place where the media isn't overwhelming, he has full control of the place, there aren't a million mega-boosters who think they run the place (e.g., Texas), and he can generally do his job in peace. That describes a small but wealthy private school. Part of the deal in a place like that is you don't have hundreds of thousands of passionate fans from the general population who are only vaguely aware that the football team is affiliated with a university (Roll Tide).

Life is full of compromises.

TAINTed frog

As far as I can tell, GP likes coaching at a place where the media isn't overwhelming, he has full control of the place, there aren't a million mega-boosters who think they run the place (e.g., Texas), and he can generally do his job in peace. That describes a small but wealthy private school. Part of the deal in a place like that is you don't have hundreds of thousands of passionate fans from the general population who are only vaguely aware that the football team is affiliated with a university (Roll Tide).

Life is full of compromises.
Exactly. GP's, and others', incessant bitching about attendance is getting really old. Deal with it.

Outside of 2010, I deal with your teams [ Finebaum ]ting down their leg at least once a year.

GenXFrog

Gary bitching about attendance for years has accomplished exactly as much as this site bitching about it.

TCU knows exactly who owns the empty seats. They have all the data.

At some point the athletic department is just gonna have to sack up and confront the issue directly, rather than complaining about TCU fans in general, on social media and to reporters.

Bob Sugar

I don’t disagree. Without a better home field advantage we will never win a national championship.

But this isn’t a fan problem. This is a TCU administration problem that began with the short sighted and selfish decisions of Christopher Del Conte.

Chris gutted the heart and soul of our fan base for the very affluent. He told the common fan, even those that had loyally sat through decades of terrible seasons that they no longer mattered nor were they needed. They were pushed to the fringes of the stadium while the Fort Worth elite (some that had been long time TCU fans, but many others that were jumping on the band wagon for the first time) lined up for the newest and most sexy social scene in town.

I have no problem with capitalism or the existence of luxury seats. But not the way TCU did it. They allowed an elite few to hoard up all the premium seats, while making it crystal clear that the majority of their fan base was at the bottom of their priority list. Not sure why TCU acts surprised that many people are now putting football attendance at the bottom of theirs.

If TCU has any realistic hope of beginning to correct this disastrous problem, Jeremiah is going to need to man the darn up. It’s going to take a hell of a lot more than beer sales.
Says the guy with seats on the 50 yard line after a few years playing the seat upgrade game.

Froggish

Gary bitching about attendance for years has accomplished exactly as much as this site bitching about it.

TCU knows exactly who owns the empty seats. They have all the data.

At some point the athletic department is just gonna have to sack up and confront the issue directly, rather than complaining about TCU fans in general, on social media and to reporters.

TCU sees revenue alone with very little connectivity to the people who own those seats..They will never confront those owned they will simply attempt to continue to create incentives and strategies (such as beer sales and discounts) to get those fans to show up and stay...TCU isn’t in the business to bite the hands that feeds the machine

Bob Sugar

I wonder where the big money donors have seats at places like OU, Ohio State, and Bama. I suspect up in the nosebleeds so that the "real fans" can sit on the 50 yard line.

GenXFrog

TCU sees revenue alone with very little connectivity to the people who own those seats..They will never confront those owned they will simply attempt to continue to create incentives and strategies (such as beer sales and discounts) to get those fans to show up and stay...TCU isn’t in the business to bite the hands that feeds the machine

And therein lies the conundrum. It is fundamentally impossible for someone to sit in more seats than they have bodies, no matter what the incentive is. Those extra seats end up being donated, sold, or unused..., which puts them directly into the categories driving the complaints.