• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson doubles down on crowd: It’s more than a social event

HFrog12

If a blue blood comes calling after this season GP is gone and I won’t blame him at all!! It gets old year after year and I know I’d move on to a program that has dedicated fans that come early and stay late!!

Nick Saban has recently blasted their fans for not showing up, coming early, and staying late. I’d say Bama is pretty blue blood. It’s not just a TCU problem. No blue bloods are going to show up to watch their teams play SMU in Texas during the middle of the day in September. If GP wants to leave I would suggest finding better reasons than September fan attendance.

Realtorfrog

Nick Saban has recently blasted their fans for not showing up, coming early, and staying late. I’d say Bama is pretty blue blood. It’s not just a TCU problem. No blue bloods are going to show up to watch their teams play SMU in Texas during the middle of the day in September. If GP wants to leave I would suggest finding better reasons than September fan attendance.

I have said attendance would be the reason for several years....,it’s been an issue with GP behind closed doors but him making it public is his last straw. If MI comes calling he gone!

Mean Purple

GP is not wrong at all on this. Bowl selections consider who they think has a good crowd, and not just traveling crowd. There is a perception. Sticking you head in the sand does not change the reality of the impact that results.

HFrog12

I have said attendance would be the reason for several years....,it’s been an issue with GP behind closed doors but him making it public is his last straw. If MI comes calling he gone!

Not saying you are wrong. I just don’t think it’s a good reason. MI won’t have great attendance vs. SMU at 2:30 in Texas or Kansas at 11am. If he wants a new challenge at a historic program then he should leave. But if he is basing his move on [ Finebaum ]ty opponents in September then he is missing the boat.

Pharm Frog

GP is not wrong at all on this. Bowl selections consider who they think has a good crowd, and not just traveling crowd. There is a perception. Sticking you head in the sand does not change the reality of the impact that results.

What does it matter when you either qualify for a bowl or not? Seems to me that CGP wants to pick his bowl destination anyway

The Colonel

I wish our fan base was like ISU’s fan base when it comes to attendance. They pack it win or lose.

Pack the stadium and stay. Then let the coach and the team know if you are unhappy with their performance.

Have you ever been to Iowa? I have, and college football is literally all there is to look forward to. Same with the majority of the SEC and Big 10.

We live in a larger metropolitan area with a ton of other [ Finebaum ] to do / spend our money on. We have to win for people to show up. Look at Miami and USC for what both good and bad fan support looks like in a large metro area. Hint...it correlates with winning/losing.

Mean Purple

What does it matter when you either qualify for a bowl or not? Seems to me that CGP wants to pick his bowl destination anyway
Because some bowls are better than others. Some bowls provide better logistics and pay. Some bowls offer a more attractive place for your fans. If you get hit with a perception of a "small" or soft fanbase, you get sent where nobody gives crap who shows.

And more highlighted bowls help with recruiting.

Our seats today aint great, but they have beer here.

Pharm Frog

Because some bowls are better than others. Some bowls provide better logistics and pay. Some bowls offer a more attractive place for your fans. If you get hit with a perception of a "small" or soft fanbase, you get sent where nobody gives crap who shows.

And more highlighted bowls help with recruiting.

Our seats today aint great, but they have beer here.

Didn’t GP prefer a lesser bowl last year when there might have been a better option

Billy Clyde

I may have just forgot, but I can’t remember Gary whining about attendance in 2010, 14, 17. . . I’m thinking if you’re gonna drop trou and lay a deuce in the middle of the field, shouldn’t be surprised or bitter if everyone doesn’t hang around to watch it dry.

Last edited: