• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson doubles down on crowd: It’s more than a social event

MTfrog5

I’m old, and I didn’t leave! And, I won’t leave today either. When fans make the game their priority, then the crowd will make a difference. We [ hundin] about no beer, stupid music, the Go Frogs cheer, and every other “game day experience”. If you want a carnival, go to a scheissing carnival. What are you going to [ hundin] about when we kick the dog [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] out of KU today? I understand exactly Gary’s frustration. Behind his home side bench are a ton of the opposing teams colors. How in the hell do we as fans let that happen?!? Sure he has to put a championship caliber team on the field to win a championship. We can help by putting some championship caliber fans wearing our colors in the stands behind his bench, and in the student section.
GO FROGS!
BEAT BASKETBALL CHEATERS!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!
You can blame a lot of the lower west Bowl on CDC allowing the big money donors to have 16 tickets plus their suites. Students have been pathetic for now 3 years

Froggy Style

Seems way too much like a distraction conversation.

"Yes, I said I was going to get involved with the offense, and it still sucks."

"Yes, I have said numerous times, it is my fault for calling the wrong plays in crunch time, but I still do it."

Gary's pride is digging a deeper hole. He just refuses to run a defense that is more bend but don't break, and we end up giving up 40 points to freaking SMU.

Our offense will pass the ball on 9 straight plays (3 three and outs) while having a RB averaging 11 yards per carry.

We have a DE try to pass the ball on fourth down when a running QB could have accomplished the same trick but with more ability to throw.

We ran two QBs in the game that even if it fooled someone for a second, made our team less capable, and thus, less likely to gain yardage.

The coach IS responsible for all of these things...and trying to shift the blame to the fans feels a little too political spin to me. That's not your game Gary. That crap is not what I like to see in our long time coach. You get paid 5 million+, just do your freakin job and focus on the plays you and Cumbie call.

DelFrog

Patterson may be correct, but I don't know how he expects things to change. TCU is a small affluent private school and unlike large state supported universities, they don't have the luxury of a large alumni presence to draw upon. Obviously that alumni issue is a major factor in attendance issues. Many TCU fans, who have no affiliation with the school, are very casual and do view the games as a social event. This fan base is far from being 'hard core', if the teams is good, if the weather is nice, if the opponent is attractive are all factors which weigh heavily in attendance. However, the fan support, or lack of, is no excuse for some of the inept play that we have seen over the past two seasons.

tcumaniac

I don’t disagree. Without a better home field advantage we will never win a national championship.

But this isn’t a fan problem. This is a TCU administration problem that began with the short sighted and selfish decisions of Christopher Del Conte.

Chris gutted the heart and soul of our fan base for the very affluent. He told the common fan, even those that had loyally sat through decades of terrible seasons that they no longer mattered nor were they needed. They were pushed to the fringes of the stadium while the Fort Worth elite (some that had been long time TCU fans, but many others that were jumping on the band wagon for the first time) lined up for the newest and most sexy social scene in town.

I have no problem with capitalism or the existence of luxury seats. But not the way TCU did it. They allowed an elite few to hoard up all the premium seats, while making it crystal clear that the majority of their fan base was at the bottom of their priority list. Not sure why TCU acts surprised that many people are now putting football attendance at the bottom of theirs.

If TCU has any realistic hope of beginning to correct this disastrous problem, Jeremiah is going to need to man the darn up. It’s going to take a hell of a lot more than beer sales.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I’m old, and I didn’t leave! And, I won’t leave today either. When fans make the game their priority, then the crowd will make a difference. We [ hundin] about no beer, stupid music, the Go Frogs cheer, and every other “game day experience”. If you want a carnival, go to a scheissing carnival. What are you going to [ hundin] about when we kick the dog [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] out of KU today? I understand exactly Gary’s frustration. Behind his home side bench are a ton of the opposing teams colors. How in the hell do we as fans let that happen?!? Sure he has to put a championship caliber team on the field to win a championship. We can help by putting some championship caliber fans wearing our colors in the stands behind his bench, and in the student section.
GO FROGS!
BEAT BASKETBALL CHEATERS!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

You are so off base here.

If our video screen was a just a little bigger, if we could just get beer, oh, then better beer, if we could just move the game to the parking lot and allow tailgating in the stadium, if we could just dome the stadium and add a/c, if we didn’t have rich people in suites, if other team’s old teams bring fans, if a bunch of 18 to 21 year olds could only be perfect every play, if only TCU wasn’t the only team where people people get hurt, if we could just find a coach that was perfect, if we could just wear all black ll the time, if old people wouldn’t be like old people, if our atmosphere was better, if people wouldn’t wear cargo shorts, if we could only act a little more entitled we could be UT, if we weren’t private we could get state money, if we could recruit 2500 Hitler Juden and play music from Patton we could be A&M, then maybe, just maybe people could be real fans...

but I jest.

MTfrog5

I don’t disagree. Without a better home field advantage we will never win a national championship.

But this isn’t a fan problem. This is a TCU administration problem that began with the short sighted and selfish decisions of Christopher Del Conte.

Chris gutted the heart and soul of our fan base for the very affluent. He told the common fan, even those that had loyally sat through decades of terrible seasons that they no longer mattered nor were they needed. They were pushed to the fringes of the stadium while the Fort Worth elite (some that had been long time TCU fans, but many others that were jumping on the band wagon for the first time) lined up for the newest and most sexy social scene in town.

I have no problem with capitalism or the existence of luxury seats. But not the way TCU did it. They allowed an elite few to hoard up all the premium seats, while making it crystal clear that the majority of their fan base was at the bottom of their priority list. Not sure why TCU acts surprised that many people are now putting football attendance at the bottom of theirs.

If TCU has any realistic hope of beginning to correct this disastrous problem, Jeremiah is going to need to man the darn up. It’s going to take a hell of a lot more than beer sales.
The tricky part now for Donati is how do you approach the big donors and take away the promises CDC made while still trying to raise money for things such as a new baseball stadium?

HToady

These comments aggravate me. I am a 40 year season ticket holder, and I have sat in snow, torrential rain, lightning striking the stadium, and intense heat.

What Gary doesn't seem to understand is that it is not his product on the field, that keeps people away. It's the product off the field.

I can sit in torrential rain, stiffling heat, etc. to watch the frogs play. But it's the other 2/3rds of the time that you are sitting there that makes it unbearable.

blueduck313

I think a lot of TCU fans are the definition of fair weather fans. TCU doesn’t look good? Ok I’ll just leave. TCU looks great? I’ll be there for sure. If TCU wants to win at a high level they have to recruit. To recruit, the socialites that make up the majority of TCU fan base have to stay for games.
you just described all college football fans. Put a good product on the field and fans will come and stay ala 2014

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon

BBE54A5F-1BF3-44BC-88B8-FFEAA6FC5D9E.gif

Realtorfrog

If a blue blood comes calling after this season GP is gone and I won’t blame him at all!! It gets old year after year and I know I’d move on to a program that has dedicated fans that come early and stay late!!

Pharm Frog

I’m in the stadium 90 minutes before kick off. Where are all of you that complain about fans not showing up?

At the fountain waiting for Son to show up. Drum line warming up. Lots of pictures being taken with Showgirls. Hoping those are family members or close friends...otherwise kinda creepy.