• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Kirk Saarloos suspended for ‘excessive expression,’ could miss regional game

froginmn

Hmmmm…looks like the UNC AD has a public voice

I understand the point you're making, but logically it seems more likely to me that quietly trying to make the case has a slightly larger likelihood of a reversal (2 in 1,000 versus 1 in 1,000). There's intrinsic value in showing a coach that "you have his back" but at the end of the day it's nothing more than style points.

I didn't see the NC play live; the call hinges on what is "ordinary effort". The 2B ran in and slid to attempt the catch (and ultimately dropped it, which may have been intentional but not clearly). I can see an argument for not calling an IF fly but it probably should have been called IMO.

Pharm Frog

I understand the point you're making, but logically it seems more likely to me that quietly trying to make the case has a slightly larger likelihood of a reversal (2 in 1,000 versus 1 in 1,000). There's intrinsic value in showing a coach that "you have his back" but at the end of the day it's nothing more than style points.

I didn't see the NC play live; the call hinges on what is "ordinary effort". The 2B ran in and slid to attempt the catch (and ultimately dropped it, which may have been intentional but not clearly). I can see an argument for not calling an IF fly but it probably should have been called IMO.
I haven’t made a point yet but now I will. In this situation, despite their recent and ongoing issues with the NCAA, UNC AD = leader and understands public relations, TCU AD = follower and passive.

froginmn

I haven’t made a point yet but now I will. In this situation, despite their recent and ongoing issues with the NCAA, UNC AD = leader and understands public relations, TCU AD = follower and passive.
Couldn't have predicted your ill will towards our AD. You're entitled...

Pharm Frog

Couldn't have predicted your ill will towards our AD. You're entitled...
I have no animosity towards him. You are thinking about others. In this situation…clearly labeled as such…he misses the mark. Pleased to very pleased with the VB handling although it could have happened earlier. I also think he did a good job with the FB situation. I’m not sure it could have been handled any better given the variables.

froginmn

I have no animosity towards him. You are thinking about others. In this situation…clearly labeled as such…he misses the mark. Pleased to very pleased with the VB handling although it could have happened earlier. I also think he did a good job with the FB situation. I’m not sure it could have been handled any better given the variables.
Yeah I just think that CKS went off (rightly IMO) and there wasn't a positive remedy to be had. The AD wasting a chip would have done nothing other than be an empty PR move. Some think that's important; I don't. I'd rather he focus on actual productive things.

The UNC situation is less clear cut.

An-Cap Frog

From MLB​

Infield Fly​

Definition​

An infield fly is any fair fly ball (not including a line drive or a bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort when first and second or first, second and third base are occupied, before two men are out. The rule is in place to protect against a team allowing a shallow fly ball to drop in with the intention of causing a force play at second and third or second, third and home. Otherwise, the team would be able to force out baserunners who had stayed put on a routine fly ball.

In these situations, the umpire will declare "infield fly" for the benefit of the baserunners as soon as it is apparent that the fly ball qualifies as an infield fly. The batter is out even if the ball is not caught, and the baserunners can advance at their own risk. If the ball is caught, the baserunners can attempt to advance as they would on a typical ball caught in the air.

Seems like the right call to me...but I don't see where the two-game suspension should have been called.

Dogfrog

From MLB​

Infield Fly​

Definition​

An infield fly is any fair fly ball (not including a line drive or a bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort when first and second or first, second and third base are occupied, before two men are out. The rule is in place to protect against a team allowing a shallow fly ball to drop in with the intention of causing a force play at second and third or second, third and home. Otherwise, the team would be able to force out baserunners who had stayed put on a routine fly ball.

In these situations, the umpire will declare "infield fly" for the benefit of the baserunners as soon as it is apparent that the fly ball qualifies as an infield fly. The batter is out even if the ball is not caught, and the baserunners can advance at their own risk. If the ball is caught, the baserunners can attempt to advance as they would on a typical ball caught in the air.

Seems like the right call to me...but I don't see where the two-game suspension should have been called.
NCAA handed umpires a weapon to discourage not just disagreement but discussion. Some of them have more Barney Fife in them than others, especially the ones who toss a coach based on what they choose to believe he said or gestured from 50-60 ft away.