• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Gary Patterson keeps showing up on coaching wish lists. Here’s what he said about it

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU’s Gary Patterson keeps showing up on coaching wish lists. Here’s what he said about it

BY STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Gary Patterson is used to it by now. Every year, especially when the Horned Frogs are one of the best teams in the country, his name is thrown out by desperate fan bases of struggling schools.

“We’ve been listening to that for 15 years,” said TCU’s all-time winningest coach during his media luncheon Tuesday.

Patterson has always kept a “never say never” official policy with the public, and he reiterated that again.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article180642381.html

VA Froggie

I would like to think Coach is happy with his situation with TCU as well as the community of Fort Worth but it is wise to always hide your cards. I respect that and everyone else should also.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
....sitting on the porch.”

I bet some donor would fork over enough to have his or her private box extended 10 feet just so Gary could sit out there in a rocking chair & watch the Frogs play in his retirement.

They’d call it....The Porch.

Punter1

The problem with leaving for a new gig is you're probably taking over a bad team years away from being successful...why would anyone at his age and comfort level even think of doing that is beyond me.

Which is why Frank Beamer or Bill Snyder never left when they got offers in their 50s.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
In a place that will be hostile almost from Day 1, because half the fan base wanted some other guy. Additionally, if you don't win RIGHT NOW, you're on the hot seat.

GMFP has played that game before. I think he's done with it. He watched Fran chase the Big Job, and get kicked all over the place. No, he's fabulously compensated at TCU beyond mere money, and has a community that adores him and a great town in which to live. He has built this Program into one of National prominence, and yet still has goals to accomplish.

Leaving Fort Worth would be the height of folly.

flyfishingfrog

He will always say never say never because saying you will never leaves also gives you no leverage - doesn't ensure he would not leave but he is not leaving to fix someone else's mess - which would mean it would have to be a rare circumstance like Saban retiring on a high note or something similar - and at that point the school would have their pick of coaches and I am not sure GMFP would be the first choice anyway since he doesn't want to be CEO and isn't an ass-kisser

Wexahu

He will always say never say never because saying you will never leaves also gives you no leverage - doesn't ensure he would not leave but he is not leaving to fix someone else's mess - which would mean it would have to be a rare circumstance like Saban retiring on a high note or something similar - and at that point the school would have their pick of coaches and I am not sure GMFP would be the first choice anyway since he doesn't want to be CEO and isn't an ass-kisser

Taking over after Saban will be a thankless job where everything about it sucks, except the money. Lose two games and you're getting absolutely roasted by the fans. I don't think GP would want any part of that.

Realtorfrog

I still say if he leaves it's solely based on fan and stadium apathy. He does love it here but I'm sure he would love a raucous crowd behind his team every home game. Has to be frustrating.......and that's why TN is a school that worries me.

Deep Purple

I still say if he leaves it's solely based on fan and stadium apathy. He does love it here but I'm sure he would love a raucous crowd behind his team every home game. Has to be frustrating.......and that's why TN is a school that worries me.
Apathy? What season are you stuck in? Patterson has been very complimentary of the home crowds this season. He said the noise levels at the Kansas and West Virginia games really inspired the team.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
This Tennessee?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...ssee-struggles-to-beat-umass-college-football

It isn't only Frog fans that leave at halftime. Did you see LSU's stadium during the Troy game? Look around. You can find half empty Alabama, USC, etc.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon

gKrzK.gif

YA

You have missed games this season and yes I know why--maybe others have the same or different issues.

The difference is that at TCU, the attendance losses are more magnified because of our size.

Froggy Style

I swear these reporters wish Gary would leave even more than the people they write these stories for...our former SWC Texas foes and their DFW alumni.

Gary gonna get another nice raise tho; well done GMFP.

HToady

....sitting on the porch.”

I bet some donor would fork over enough to have his or her private box extended 10 feet just so Gary could sit out there in a rocking chair & watch the Frogs play in his retirement.

They’d call it....The Porch.
With a walkie talkie to the Defensive Coordinator....

Rana1

Yes, it is so. Size matters.
Compared to ALL Power 5 schools and Notre Dame, TCU ranks 64th of 65 schools in enrollment with Wake Forest in the 65th spot. That number equates to not only less alumni overall, but less growth each and every year. We are recruiters, for fandom, not just with our family and friends, but from neighbors, work mates, and any alumni from any school that will make us their second favorite team. We Need them ALL!

Yes, size matters. We can make it a positive!
GO FROGS!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
In a place that will be hostile almost from Day 1, because half the fan base wanted some other guy. Additionally, if you don't win RIGHT NOW, you're on the hot seat.

GMFP has played that game before. I think he's done with it. He watched Fran chase the Big Job, and get kicked all over the place. No, he's fabulously compensated at TCU beyond mere money, and has a community that adores him and a great town in which to live. He has built this Program into one of National prominence, and yet still has goals to accomplish.

Leaving Fort Worth would be the height of folly.

Plus dragging that statue away would be a [ hundin]...