• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Tarrant County grand jury indicts TCU ex KaVontae Turpin on misdemeanor assault charge

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Tarrant County grand jury indicts TCU ex KaVontae Turpin on misdemeanor assault charge

By Drew Davison

Former TCU football player KaVontae Turpin was indicted on a misdemeanor charge of assault with bodily injury last month, a spokeswoman for the Tarrant County district attorney’s office said.

A trial date has not been set. Turpin faces a Class A misdemeanor charge and, if convicted, a maximum one year in prison and $4,000 fine.

Turpin’s attorney, Brandon Barnett of Fort Worth’s Barnett Howard and Williams, declined comment.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article229003734.html#storylink=cpy

I’m aware they can, just not sure why this case would warrant that.

The DA probably wanted the GJ to examine the possibility of a third degree felony charge in light of the previous allegation from New Mexico.

25.11 TEX. PENAL CODE
(a) A person commits an offense if, during a period that is 12 months or less in duration, the person two or more times engages in conduct that constitutes an offense under Section 22.01(a)(1) against another person or persons whose relationship to or association with the defendant is described by Section 71. 0021(b), 71.003 , or 71.005, Family Code .

(e) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree.

Spike

Always laughed at people who tried so hard on the Bar. Literally no one will ever ask for your bar score. GPA, however, stays with you.

No one has ever asked my GPA or my bar score. Usually when I get asked where I went to school it's in more social settings.

I'm one of the few people out there that does what I do so my clients don't care about a lot of pomp and circumstance, just results.

That said how do you know how hard you need to try or study until you do it? It's totally unlike a law school exam.

Billy Clyde

I’m aware they can, just not sure why this case would warrant that.

Media Case. Will get attention no matter which way it goes. There will be a likelihood of public criticism either way. Sharen Wilson plays to the media. Her administration already takes some criticism for its approach to assault cases., specifically to Domestic Violence.

If he's prosecuted, she's picking on a TCU jock and jeopardizing his future. If he's not prosecuted he's getting a pass because he's a TCU jock and she doesn't care about protecting victims of violence.

DA would want whatever charging decision is made to have the added public perception of credibility/fairness provided by a Grand Jury.

Stories/testimony can change dramatically during the evolution of a Domestic Violence case. Grand Jury locks in testimony much more effectively than a police interview.

Not really surprising.