• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Sonny Dykes wants his quarterback to be TCU’s point guard

cheese83

agree, max running the ball is a legitimate weapon, but don't want to see him be the center of the run game

when max has been a secondary run game option that defenses have to respect versus being the guy they focus upon it creates big problems and we have seen the big plays

same in the passing game. if max can consistently do the pre-snap work and effectively get the ball to the receivers his ability to leave the pocket and gain yards with his feet becomes that much more dangerous
But has Sonny ever run an offense with a QB like Max? His guys are typically your traditional pocket passer right?

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
When I read this interview I got a sense from it. Maybe I'm a lunatic (and even if I'm right I still might be), but I walked away with the sense this might come down to Morris vs Jackson

Eight

But has Sonny ever run an offense with a QB like Max? His guys are typically your traditional pocket passer right?

from what i can recall no and it is a fair question

don't see where the zone read is a staple in the run game, but i can see them using it a bit along with the quarterback draw and the mobility of max, chandler, and sam to stress defenses in another way

my hope is they take the basic concepts of their offense and then maximize what a mobile qb can do to cause a defense more problems

example of not doing something similar last year was not using evans and miller more in the passing game

Chongo94

With either QB this offense is approx. 450 yds/game. Their problem is not moving the ball, it’s scoring.
In 2021, we had the 36th ranked offense, but only 66th in scoring. Sonny has to fix that.
That said, their biggest hill to climb is defense.
Part of this was the absolute dogscheiss playcalling they rolled out once we got into the red zone. Just absolute full on projectile vomit dogscheiss playcalling! Sigh.

Last edited:

Chongo94

May be reading too much into it, but Dykes says:

Then Dykes says about Morris:

I may be reading too much into it. Hopefully we will know by August 19.

After 20+ years of trying to figure out what GP meant, straight talking from Sonny may be misconstrued.
I have felt that they already know who the starter is and it’s probably Morris. I’m not saying it will be BUT the comments coming out come across as, or make one think that they know who it is, but they’re still giving Max every chance because he’s a 3 year starter and means so much to the fanbase and whatnot.

Last edited:

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
I have felt that they already know who the starter is and it’s probably Morris. I’m not saying it will be BUT the comments coming out come across as or make one think that they know who it is but they’re still giving Max every chance because he’s a 3 year starter and means so much to the fanbase and whatnot.
If what @Eight says is right and Sonny wants/expects his qb to throw receivers open then Morris probably will be the starter. As much as I luv Max and his heart, we all know that he does not have the accuracy to make throws like that.

Chongo94

If what @Eight says is right and Sonny wants/expects his qb to throw receivers open then Morris probably will be the starter. As much as I luv Max and his heart, we all know that he does not have the accuracy to make throws like that.
Right? Give me Max in a foxhole with me but if a receiver has 3 yards on his db straight down the middle of the field, well……

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Sonny Dykes wants his quarterback to be TCU’s point guard

BY STEVEN JOHNSON

FTW_BaylorvsTCUcfb5

When it comes to the looming quarterback competition, TCU head coach Sonny Dykes has a clear vision for what he wants from the winner.

“I always thought that playing quarterback is like playing point guard. You’re distributing the ball to other guys and your job is to make them look really good. The guy that makes everybody look the best is typically the best player,” said Dykes, the first-year coach who opens camp next week.

There are currently five quarterbacks on the roster with Max Duggan and Chandler Morris expected to be the primary contenders for the job.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article263890292.html#storylink=cpy

JUST RUN THE GODDAMN BALL WITH POWER!!!!!
Everything else will take care of itself after that!!

You want to be a successful Offense with big plays in the passing game?! Then have the best RUNNING GAME in the Conference!!

It's NOT brain surgery......................

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Right? Give me Max in a foxhole with me but if a receiver has 3 yards on his db straight down the middle of the field, well……
I remember this play vs Rape U. in ACS: Early 1st Quarter, TCU receiver runs deep post and blows past the DB. Max lays the ball out, hits the receiver between the numbers, perfectly in stride, 40 yards down the field.

The receiver dropped the ball.

Eight

I remember this play vs Rape U. in ACS: Early 1st Quarter, TCU receiver runs deep post and blows past the DB. Max lays the ball out, hits the receiver between the numbers, perfectly in stride, 40 yards down the field.

all you can ask a player to do is his job, nothing more, and there are certain positions that don't have a big margin of error

quarterback is one of those and a multi-year starter should be able to make all the basic throws in an offense.

what happens after that is up to the other players much like putting the ball in the basket after receiving the pass from the point guard

Chongo94

Oh no doubt that happened often. But not near as often as Max just flat out overthrowing wide open receivers, sadly.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
all you can ask a player to do is his job, nothing more, and there are certain positions that don't have a big margin of error

quarterback is one of those and a multi-year starter should be able to make all the basic throws in an offense.

what happens after that is up to the other players much like putting the ball in the basket after receiving the pass from the point guard
Oh, the QB's input ceases once the ball has left his hand. From there it is in the legs and hands of the WR.

The reason I bring this particular play up is that play was in Max's 1st year. At the time there was considerable bitching about his "inaccuracy" and lack of completions. It was illustrative in that he wasn't inaccurate, he just had stone-handed guys out there to catch passes. Or guys who ran terrible routes, or guys who didn't make the right reads and ran off to who knows where. I am not a shrink, nor do I play one on TV, but I cannot help but think that Max tried harder and harder to improve on what wasn't really broken, and had a lot of help in this from his QB coach.

Oh no doubt that happened often. But not near as often as Max just flat out overthrowing wide open receivers, sadly.

One of the things that they teach QBs is to throw up the ball and let the receiver run under it, and throw long so it isn't picked off. Since Max's normal throwing motion produces a frozen rope passing arc, I imagine this was taught and not natural. We'll see, but I am encouraged that he is now getting (hopefully) competent instruction at his position. It is my opinion that he is gifted with mighty tools for his position, and that he hasn't been cleverly utilized by our staff in the past. Since they have all been swept away, I think we'll see a radically different Max.