• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Sonny Dykes wants his quarterback to be TCU’s point guard

Chongo94

Oh, the QB's input ceases once the ball has left his hand. From there it is in the legs and hands of the WR.

The reason I bring this particular play up is that play was in Max's 1st year. At the time there was considerable bitching about his "inaccuracy" and lack of completions. It was illustrative in that he wasn't inaccurate, he just had stone-handed guys out there to catch passes. Or guys who ran terrible routes, or guys who didn't make the right reads and ran off to who knows where. I am not a shrink, nor do I play one on TV, but I cannot help but think that Max tried harder and harder to improve on what wasn't really broken, and had a lot of help in this from his QB coach.

One of the things that they teach QBs is to throw up the ball and let the receiver run under it, and throw long so it isn't picked off. Since Max's normal throwing motion produces a frozen rope passing arc, I imagine this was taught and not natural. We'll see, but I am encouraged that he is now getting (hopefully) competent instruction at his position. It is my opinion that he is gifted with mighty tools for his position, and that he hasn't been cleverly utilized by our staff in the past. Since they have all been swept away, I think we'll see a radically different Max.
I hope you’re right, we’ll see.

PineyWoodsFrog

I'll be happy with better distribution, although designed QB runs were the best weapon the Frogs had last year. Would love to see those still in the mix, but it sounds like Sonny is saying that Max won't win the job with his feet.
I sure hope that's how Sonny feels. We've watched that for 3 years already.