• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Signs point toward Doug Meacham becoming TCU football’s new offensive coordinator

CountryFrog

Lol ironic AF using Belichick(36-44 HC his first 5 NFL seasons) while trying to argue Sark can't learn and improve as a HC..
So because Belichik improved that means Sark will? I don't dispute the notion that Sark CAN improve. But for every one Belichik there's about 1000 other guys who simply are what they are. So until Sark actually does something to show that he's now a good HC then I'll continue believing he's very average since that's what every bit of evidence says.

And I'm certainly not believing that spending 2 years in proximity to Nick Saban is what has taken him from average to great.

Also as long as we're acknowledging the possibility that he could be better now, there's also the possibility he could be even worse in his 3rd attempt as a HC. Especially given the fact that Austin doesn't seem to bring out the best in coaches here recently.

Last edited:

helcap

So because Belichik improved that means Sark will? I don't dispute the notion that Sark CAN improve. But for every one Belichik there's about 1000 other guys who simply are what they are. So until Sark actually does something to show that he's now a good HC then I'll continue believing he's very average since that's what every bit of evidence says.

And I'm certainly not believing that spending 2 years in proximity to Nick Saban is what has taken him from average to great.

Also as long as we're acknowledging the possibility that he could be better now, there's also the possibility he could be even worse in his 3rd attempt as a HC. Especially given the fact that Austin doesn't seem to bring out the best in coaches here recently.
To be fair Sark at times was drunk at practice and during games when coaching. Maybe if he can stay sober he might improve.

froginmn

Lol ironic AF using Belichick(36-44 HC his first 5 NFL seasons) while trying to argue Sark can't learn and improve as a HC..
You've made a completely irrelevant comparison. The mention of Belichick related to those who worked under him not finding success. Sark is being compared to Belichick's assistants, not to Belichick himself. Hell, Nick Saban's first four years at MSU were just above .500.

Can Sark have better success? Of course. But better coaches have failed at UT because of the culture there.

What is it about Sark that leads you to believe he'll be better?

FrogCop19

Roll to save vs. Matt Patricia (Confusion, Enchantment)

2D10. 2.) Team wanders about through the Season bereft of identity or purpose. Lose all games. Enraged fan base. House burned to ground. Belongings found piled up outside Team Offices with sprinklers running on them. Security informs you that you are fired. (Roll to save vs. Starvation)
3-7.) Team recognizes leather object, remembers the name 'football' for long periods during Season. Win two games through sheer ineptitude of opponents. Deeply sullen fan base. House lawn poisoned with RoundUp. Chair in office literally on fire.
8-14.) Team performs within the envelope normally reserved for early draft picks. Grinding mediocrity. Win 4 games through combination of opponents ineptitude and strange incidences of good play. Merely sullen fan base. Chair in office hot, but not smoking.
15-19.) Team performs with basic abilities. Sometimes looking as if they know what they are doing. Win 6 games. Sullen fan base. Chair in office warm.
20.) Win 8 games.

Not accurate. No option for critical roll.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Actually I feel like that goes right along with the Patriots analogy. MOST of the coaches who have left there have failed and many have failed miserably. But early returns on Flores in Miami are extremely encouraging just as early returns on Smart are great.

In summary, I believe that good coaches are good coaches wherever they are while not so good coaches can be made to look good if in a Saban/Belichek type of environment. There are undoubtedly really good coaches who have worked for those guys. I think Smart is a really good coach and his success is a result of him being a good coach and not a result of him working for Saban.

I don't dispute the notion that good head coaches can come out of the Saban/Belichek tree. I dispute the notion that the coaches are good simply because they come from the Saban/Belichek tree.
Ah, but being the Head Coach is a different job than being just a Coordinator. Just because a guy can play a fine violin does not mean he can conduct the orchestra. Sure, he knows how, but making the difference between just getting everybody on the same beat, and getting the entire ensemble to transcend what is on the chart before them takes a special person.

OICU812

You've made a completely irrelevant comparison. The mention of Belichick related to those who worked under him not finding success. Sark is being compared to Belichick's assistants, not to Belichick himself. Hell, Nick Saban's first four years at MSU were just above .500.

Can Sark have better success? Of course. But better coaches have failed at UT because of the culture there.

What is it about Sark that leads you to believe he'll be better?

Because I believe people can learn from mistakes and improve at their jobs. . .
What is it about him that leads you to believe he can't?

CountryFrog

It seems that you're just saying that he CAN improve. If that's your point then there's no denying that every single person is capable of improving at their job and Sark is no exception. So yes, he absolutely might get better at being a HC.

And as I said in an earlier post, there's also a chance he could be even worse this time around.

What's most likely though is that he would continue being what he's always been. One of the best OC's in college football who just isn't cut out to be a HC. He'll need a near perfect staff around him so that he can operate as the head coach in name only while essentially being a very high paid coordinator with the head coach title. And it is possible he can pull that off for a year or two. But it's nearly impossible to actually keep that kind of staff together for very long if you are able to assemble it.

CountryFrog

Ah, but being the Head Coach is a different job than being just a Coordinator. Just because a guy can play a fine violin does not mean he can conduct the orchestra. Sure, he knows how, but making the difference between just getting everybody on the same beat, and getting the entire ensemble to transcend what is on the chart before them takes a special person.
Exactly. See Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, Charlie Weiss, Josh McDaniels, Todd Bowles, the list goes on and on. And Steve Sarkisian has been the poster boy for that in the college game for a while. The guy must be amazing in interviews to continue getting chance after chance no matter how badly he scheisss up.

froginmn

Well, two straight coaches who have had success elsewhere couldn't get over the hump at UT. And Mack Brown, who had the most success at UT since Royal, was run off as well. So you start with that. Then, you look at what Sark did in two other HC stops - a bunch of 7-6 seasons at UW and moderate success that wasn't enough at USC, and marred by controversy.

Sure, anyone can learn and improve at their jobs, including Anderson and Cumbie. But for me, I need to look at evidence.

He was hired as an offensive analyst at Alabama, then promoted to OC. Then immediately left for the NFL, where he had little success. He came back to Alabama as the OC for the best team in the nation. He had success, but didn't really do anything outstanding given the incredible tools he was given.

And, OC is very different from HC. I don't see evidence of anything he's learned as an NFL and Alabama OC that makes me think he'll greatly change his past performance, or improve his ability to get along with others and impress the bosses (boosters) at UT.

What specifically do you see that makes you think Sark is a big candidate to actually improve as a HC?

CountryFrog

Well, two straight coaches who have had success elsewhere couldn't get over the hump at UT. And Mack Brown, who had the most success at UT since Royal, was run off as well. So you start with that. Then, you look at what Sark did in two other HC stops - a bunch of 7-6 seasons at UW and moderate success that wasn't enough at USC, and marred by controversy.

Sure, anyone can learn and improve at their jobs, including Anderson and Cumbie. But for me, I need to look at evidence.

He was hired as an offensive analyst at Alabama, then promoted to OC. Then immediately left for the NFL, where he had little success. He came back to Alabama as the OC for the best team in the nation. He had success, but didn't really do anything outstanding given the incredible tools he was given.

And, OC is very different from HC. I don't see evidence of anything he's learned as an NFL and Alabama OC that makes me think he'll greatly change his past performance, or improve his ability to get along with others and impress the bosses (boosters) at UT.

What specifically do you see that makes you think Sark is a big candidate to actually improve as a HC?
The last 2 coaches at UT are a great point for those thinking Sark will show up with the Saban magic. Charlie Strong and Tom Herman both made their names on Urban Meyer staffs and I don't think anyone would say that they brought any of the Urban Meyer magic with them to Austin.

Eight

The last 2 coaches at UT are a great point for those thinking Sark will show up with the Saban magic. Charlie Strong and Tom Herman both made their names on Urban Meyer staffs and I don't think anyone would say that they brought any of the Urban Meyer magic with them to Austin.

what neither brought with them is quality staffs who could develop the talent they brought into the program or properly scheme

the key for sark is not sark, but his staff and we will see what happens. he has brought in some coaches with reputations as very good teachers and a few very good recruiters.

the staff has been completed and tosh wasn't brought on so texas hasn't completely thrown the rules out the window in regards to recruiting, but the addition of a few staff members indicates they are going to be willing to work in the grey area.

can sark handled the pressures of the job? we will need to see, but as i said when this was first announced this has the potential to be a home run as a colossal goat scheiss

Eight

They were 8th and 6th the two years before he became coach. I guess it depends how one defines SIGNIFICANTLY

agree, that uga wasn't scraping the bottom of the barrel but i will say kirby has put them in a range that competes with bama in regards to talent and that type move is similar to a 10 handicap moving to scratch. very tough job because the margin of error is not very forgiving

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Aggies have a patent on goat scheissing.
That got funnier the more I thought about it.

Imagine, if you will, the actual Patent Submission paperwork, with Aggy language in full flower, and all diagrams and workings drawn by the dude known as MS Paint...

It seems that you're just saying that he CAN improve. If that's your point then there's no denying that every single person is capable of improving at their job and Sark is no exception. So yes, he absolutely might get better at being a HC.

And as I said in an earlier post, there's also a chance he could be even worse this time around.

What's most likely though is that he would continue being what he's always been. One of the best OC's in college football who just isn't cut out to be a HC. He'll need a near perfect staff around him so that he can operate as the head coach in name only while essentially being a very high paid coordinator with the head coach title. And it is possible he can pull that off for a year or two. But it's nearly impossible to actually keep that kind of staff together for very long if you are able to assemble it.

isn’t that kind of what we have? An uber DC and a collection of misfits on the other side of the ball?

CountryFrog

what neither brought with them is quality staffs who could develop the talent they brought into the program or properly scheme

the key for sark is not sark, but his staff and we will see what happens. he has brought in some coaches with reputations as very good teachers and a few very good recruiters.

the staff has been completed and tosh wasn't brought on so texas hasn't completely thrown the rules out the window in regards to recruiting, but the addition of a few staff members indicates they are going to be willing to work in the grey area.

can sark handled the pressures of the job? we will need to see, but as i said when this was first announced this has the potential to be a home run as a colossal goat scheiss
Staff is absolutely the key I think. Although according to some the new QB is so good based on 2 quarters against Colorado that it may not even matter who the coaches are.

FrogCop19

And here I thought critical rolls were for melee combat...
Nah, you can have a critical roll in any skill check. You get a higher result, like a critical roll in this instance would be us going undefeated in regular season, getting to the BigXII Championship, then losing to OU and getting a NY6 bowl.

Because some things are beyond even a critical roll...

Good talk! :D