• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Shocking loss at Schollmaier: ‘This opened our eyes up for real today’

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Shocking loss at Schollmaier: ‘This opened our eyes up for real today’

BY DREW DAVISON
ddavison@star-telegram.com

An upset is never welcomed, but Tuesday night might not be the worst thing to happen for TCU’s basketball team.

Little known Lipscomb proved to be more physical and more clutch in rolling to a 73-64 victory over No. 18 TCU at Schollmaier Arena.

It served as a wake-up call. It reminded TCU’s players that there is a target on their back. Opposing teams such as Lipscomb view TCU as a way to make an early-season statement.

“This opened our eyes up for real today,” senior forward JD Miller said. “We’ll be ready.”

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article221984375.html

Pharm Frog

The most disturbing part of the story was the part about JF opting to sit out the second half because he wasn't comfortable with his knee yet. That's a real tough thing to balance and I hope he gets his confidence back soon and that the knee is as stable as can be. I think we can all understand his hesitancy.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
The most disturbing part of the story was the part about JF opting to sit out the second half because he wasn't comfortable with his knee yet. That's a real tough thing to balance and I hope he gets his confidence back soon and that the knee is as stable as can be. I think we can all understand his hesitancy.

I was surprised he played at all.

Eight

curious why this team needed a wake-up call playing a team that just beat smu and returned a number of players off a ncaa tournament team.

tcu was 3-0, but they hadn't steam rolled each of their opponents, struggled against fresno, and the issues that were a problem in those 3 -games such as lazy turnovers and poor perimeter defense came back to bite them.

the best the offense looked this entire game was when jaylen was on the floor.

Wexahu

curious why this team needed a wake-up call playing a team that just beat smu and returned a number of players off a ncaa tournament team.

tcu was 3-0, but they hadn't steam rolled each of their opponents, struggled against fresno, and the issues that were a problem in those 3 -games such as lazy turnovers and poor perimeter defense came back to bite them.

the best the offense looked this entire game was when jaylen was on the floor.

From what I could tell Lipscomb flat out looked like the better team. That’s the wake up call. If they played again tonight, I’m not convinced we’d beat them. Got some improving to do and figuring out what the roles are going to be.

Eight

From what I could tell Lipscomb flat out looked like the better team. That’s the wake up call. If they played again tonight, I’m not convinced we’d beat them. Got some improving to do and figuring out what the roles are going to be.

lipscomb was the stereotypical senior laden team running their half court offense in the second half last night. if you are a team facing them that doesn't play sound defense and you are going to play them man-to-man they are going to carve you up and that is what they did during the second half.

i agree with this tcu team sorting out roles, but roles really only matter on the offensive end in my mind. defensively being under control, being aware, communicating and playing with effort is the same whether you are samuel and alok, bane, noi, robinson, etc.......

same with the silly/stupid/ careless turnovers. lazy passes, losing the ball while dribble and really not being pressured by the defense, missed lay ups etc.... are matters of execution and not a matter of roles.

my biggest concern for this team is when they face an athletic team that comes out and aggressively pressures the ball and the first pass when tcu is trying to run their half court offense. those teams are coming in conference play and guys going between the legs, behind the backs and working screens 25-ft from the basket are going to get eaten alive.

Dr. Coach Haus

lipscomb was the stereotypical senior laden team running their half court offense in the second half last night. if you are a team facing them that doesn't play sound defense and you are going to play them man-to-man they are going to carve you up and that is what they did during the second half.

i agree with this tcu team sorting out roles, but roles really only matter on the offensive end in my mind. defensively being under control, being aware, communicating and playing with effort is the same whether you are samuel and alok, bane, noi, robinson, etc.......

same with the silly/stupid/ careless turnovers. lazy passes, losing the ball while dribble and really not being pressured by the defense, missed lay ups etc.... are matters of execution and not a matter of roles.

my biggest concern for this team is when they face an athletic team that comes out and aggressively pressures the ball and the first pass when tcu is trying to run their half court offense. those teams are coming in conference play and guys going between the legs, behind the backs and working screens 25-ft from the basket are going to get eaten alive.
We didn't look like we had a half court offense. Not much penetration, and when we did, others are not moving into position to receive the ball. Dragging defenders into empty spaces. Ugly basketball is what we played Tuesday.

The impact of our accelerated offense often seems to result in bungled ball control, erratic passing and careless turnovers.

With a roster anointed with a group of tall, talented players....an increased emphasis on performance at the Post position

would seem to be a major priority.

Farmfrog

I don’t care if Fisher plays either of the next two games if it means he’s ready to go for SMU. We really need him for them and USC.

I hope we decide to start our offense more at the foul line extended than at the center circle. Starting your offense closer to the baseline, in theory, helps you get into your motion better because the defense has to worry about quick threes, penetration, postups and cutters. This is what was told to me by a basketball coach so feel free to to bring up suggestions to make our offense better.