1. The KillerFrogs

FWST: New law could affect TCU’s future home-and-home series with California-based schools

Discussion in 'Killingsworth Court, Formerly The General Forum' started by TopFrog, Oct 1, 2019.

1. New law could affect TCU’s future home-and-home series with California-based schools

BY DREW DAVISON

TCU athletic director Jeremiah Donati expressed concern over California’s Fair Pay to Play Act earlier this month. Now the bill has been signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom.

This law will have a significant effect on the college sports world and could directly affect TCU with future college football games scheduled with California schools.

The law wouldn’t go into effect until Jan. 1, 2023, so it wouldn’t have much of an effect on TCU’s home-and-home series with Cal in 2020 and 2021. But the Frogs are set for another home-and-home with Stanford in 2024 and 2027.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article235629987.html

2. Just another source of tax revenue for California.

Despite the odds Frog likes this.
  3. Cancel the series with Stanford and start talks with non-California PAC 12 schools to move to the Big 12.

Frogs01, 4 Oaks Frog, kidkarr and 9 others like this.
  4. Name, image and likeness stuff is a real problem for smaller schools like TCU. Wouldn't you want to sell your image at a large State school with a student population of 50,000 and a huge alumni base?

H0RNEDFR0GBLITZ and Rose Bowl like this.
  5. I thought Stanford was a private school and the law applies to only California state schools. I'm probably wrong, but...

6. “Naturally we would not want any of our teams competing with other schools who have artificial and unfair competitive advantages built into their laws that only apply to them.” - Donati

So we taking uT off the schedule?

7. What about the California universities travel ban for Texas and other states?

BrewingFrog likes this.
  8. Lolz. These idiot politicians don’t realize that in an attempt to solve a perceived social injustice — unfair wages — they may destroy college sports. So the end result may be that nobody gets paid anything, and millions of people won’t have college football anymore.

It’s a hell of a risk, with very little reward, IMO. Sometimes, it’s better to just leave well enough alone. Progress is only progress if you improve something.

tcudoc, Frogs01, 4 Oaks Frog and 4 others like this.
  9. Maybe Texas will start making college players pay as they do pros?

10. DEMOCRATS AE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY NOW SO WHY SHOULDN'T THEY TRY TO DESTROY COLLEGE FOOTBALL AS WELL? This brings me to a quote I heard from conservative talk show host David Gold, who said (or quoted someone): "If you are 21 and not a liberal you have no heart; if you are 31 and still a liberal you have no head."
    Well put.

Frogs01, berryfrog95, Klaw and 2 others like this.
  11. True to form....everything remotely related to that 'Left' coast sanctuary remains a perplexing enigma.

Christcu likes this.
  12. all of the free market republicans suddenly have an issue when you trying to make a free market for predominantly young black males. interesting isn’t it?

republicans: we need less government regulation. free markets are efficient and will solve everything.
    california: great, we agree. let’s cut the regulation in college athletics.
    republicans: this mainly benefits young black men
    california:......
    republicans: we need more regulation!

13. Wow. You are putting words in Republican's mouths. Man, get a grip. My response is that this will destroy college football. Yes, I did take a dig at the Dems but that's because they run California. Your remarks are just plain silly. You have played THE RACE CARD BUT YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS SPUN IT THAT WAY in your quest to put down Republican's (Trump won fair and square so deal with it). Finance, you seem like a good Frog; you are probably a good father and husband; you would make a great next door neighbor; but politically? Man, you need to grow up.

14. This argument really holds no water when put to the test. Most people in our capitalist economy are prohibited from trading on their likeness when the value of that likeness is gained via an association with an organization. I emphasize “most people” because there are obvious exceptions. However, the fact remains that it is not inherently anti-capitalist to have rules against or to prevent commercialization.

Christcu likes this.
  15. I don’t know much about any of this. What does concern me is this turns into a system where a small number of big name schools can afford football (as in get the majority of TV money) and the rest have to fend for themselves. I’m not worried for me or college football fans in general. I’m worried about what it does to the availability of scholarships to the large number of kids out there that wouldn’t be able to afford college without the advantages of an athletic scholarship. A small portion of the athletes will get the biggest piece of the money tree. That doesn’t sound like a liberal outcome at all.

If rolled out nationally, this will change the college athletics landscape. To think it won’t be the detriment to more than it helps is short sighted imo. Prove me wrong. I’d love to hear how Tua should get rich while other programs close up shop and/or quit offering scholarships.

16. That is a Winston Churchill quote. He was a leader of the Labor Party (liberals) in Great Britain. He switched to the Conservative Party after the Labor Party moved to far to the left for him.

Frogs01, Leap Frog and 2314 like this.
  17. That should be too instead of to. Guess I should learn to check my spelling. Sorry!!

18. And with that it becomes a political thread.

But.............to set the record straight. Both houses in California passed this unanimously which means both parties supported it. So let's not blame one part or the other.

SuperBarrFrog, TCUdirtbag and Todd D. like this.
  19. Dude. This is why I’ve grown to hate this board.

screetch and Tom Brown like this.
  20. *Labour

Shorty, Tom Brown, Peacefrog and 4 others like this.