• The KillerFrogs

FWST: National Signing Day: TCU misses out on Jaden Rashada

bc puckett

Texas is correct. 1 team finished in the CFP top 25 with a redshirt freshman at QB. That QB was also the #1 QB recruit in the nation.
Well you didn’t put any qualifiers on your question. Also I would say that Drake Maye from UNC was easily a top 5 qb in the country in spite of where his team finished in the polls and is poised to be a top 5 pick in next year’s draft. I apologize for forgetting they fell out of the top 25. I guess that makes his performance not good enough for your standards

McFroggin

Well you didn’t put any qualifiers on your question. Also I would say that Drake Maye from UNC was easily a top 5 qb in the country in spite of where his team finished in the polls and is poised to be a top 5 pick in next year’s draft. I apologize for forgetting they fell out of the top 25. I guess that makes his performance not good enough for your standards

The Ewers and Maye’s are quite uncommon for redshirt freshmen. It would be great to have Maye on our team right now, but that isn’t happening.

Even ignoring what we know about Hoover, he isn’t Maye right now. Few are.

Chongo94

Let’s assume for a second that I know nothing. What top 15 team from last year started a redshirt freshman at QB? Top 25? Ignoring what I know, mere odds say he isn’t close to ready.
Rick James GIF
Charlie Murphy Laugh GIF
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

bc puckett

The Ewers and Maye’s are quite uncommon for redshirt freshmen. It would be great to have Maye on our team right now, but that isn’t happening.

Even ignoring what we know about Hoover, he isn’t Maye right now. Few are.
Completely agree. You just said that Hoover wasn’t ready and I thought you had some real reasons as to why other than odds

abell2do

I'm already exhausted of the "future QB" and "QB competition" talk. We have a QB, that was named the starter last year, ahead of a Heisman finalist (whom Sonny coached agsinst TWICE and still said the other guy was better), who got off to a rocky start in the 1st half of the 1st game of the season but started to click in the 2nd half, but had his entire season derailed due to a non-contact injury that has given him the "injury-prone" label, that was pretty dang good 2 years ago against Baylor. The result of Max's season does not mean Chandler didn't deserve to be the starter and Sonny's decision was wrong, unless you also believe the result of the championship game means we didn't deserve to be there. I'm aware that I'm hanging my hat on 1 game from Chandler, but I saw too many things in that 1 game to not be a believer. If Briles can't cater the offense to Chandler's strengths just because he doesn't have the running ability of Duggan or KJ Jefferson, that's a Briles problem, not a Chandler problem and we got the wrong guy at coordinator. Enough with the "missing out on elite QBs". We have a QB and I can't wait to see him behind center as our starter again and I'm expecting great things.
I noticed Briles tried to get our backup Josh Hoover when he was at Arkansas. Morris is gonna have tons of weapons. He damn sure played incredible against Baylor, and I expect him to really be strong this year. I was pissed we didn’t get another qb, but I’m confident in our coaches.

fanatical frog

It seems like some, maybe including myself, have kinda sorta written Josh Hoover off because of "starzies" or lack thereof. Truth is, none of us really know what he can do, he's a pretty much unknown commodity....to us...not to Coach Dykes.

Eight

patience on the addition of another quarterback, there will be another portal window and i do believe we will see the frogs add a transfer.

who, don't know and what level, no idea, the article in the atlantic pointed out the number of scholarship quarterbacks who transfer and the projected depth chart was a very young quarterback roster with morris, jackson and hoover. that is a tough depth chart to sell to another prospect, especially in a rebuilding program

maybe whomever they bring in isn't a top level prospect, and maybe they would project more to being a fill in, but this is part of building a roster in the "new" age of college football

hfhmilkman

Let’s assume for a second that I know nothing. What top 15 team from last year started a redshirt freshman at QB? Top 25? Ignoring what I know, mere odds say he isn’t close to ready.
Here are other examples of young QB's being starters. They may not have been redshirt freshmen. But they were 2nd year players. JJ McCarthy not only started but with a birthday in Jan, played every single meaningful game at 19.

CJ Stroud started as a 2nd year player and was a Heisman finalist. He was not the Heisman trophy winner because of the person below.

Bryce Young was the Heisman trophy winner in his 2nd year, was the best college QB as a 2nd year player, and would have won the NC if he had receiver to throw to.

I am of the opinion with so many top prospects going to academies at the HS level, that even top QB's are NFL ready. The only reason why Marvin Harrison Jr is not a top 10 draft pick is the age rule preventing him from declaring.

McFroggin

Here are other examples of young QB's being starters. They may not have been redshirt freshmen. But they were 2nd year players. JJ McCarthy not only started but with a birthday in Jan, played every single meaningful game at 19.

CJ Stroud started as a 2nd year player and was a Heisman finalist. He was not the Heisman trophy winner because of the person below.

Bryce Young was the Heisman trophy winner in his 2nd year, was the best college QB as a 2nd year player, and would have won the NC if he had receiver to throw to.

I am of the opinion with so many top prospects going to academies at the HS level, that even top QB's are NFL ready. The only reason why Marvin Harrison Jr is not a top 10 draft pick is the age rule preventing him from declaring.

I’m not saying it can’t happen, but it is very rare. All 3 of those QB’s were elite recruits out of high school - each top 4 in the nation. On a per year basis, maybe 1-2 top 25 schools have a redshirt freshman starter.

If you qualify this by saying how many top 25 teams start a 3 star redshirt freshman? The answer is regularly 0.