• The KillerFrogs

FWST: National Signing Day: TCU misses out on Jaden Rashada

ShreveFrog

How does anyone here know Hoover won’t be ready come September? Was Hassel ready? Ballard? Bram? Turned out they were. Have some faith.
This is all a little silly because Sonny & Co. will add to the qb room after spring.

ticketfrog123

How does anyone here know Hoover won’t be ready come September? Was Hassel ready? Ballard? Bram? Turned out they were. Have some faith.
This is all a little silly because Sonny & Co. will add to the qb room after spring.
Yes the former 4th string QB is not ready to see the field

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Yes the former 4th string QB is not ready to see the field
Mario Lopez Football GIF

Eight

You brought him up, so I finally responded on how he isn’t relevant to my argument.

What I listed are facts. Chandler will be entering his 4th year in NCAA. I’m not saying Chandler couldn’t become a great QB if healthy. Multiple games last year were won on Max’s shoulders. We could have easily been a 4-5 loss team (unranked) if not for his clutch play. TCU wasn’t ranked in any poll when Morris was starting. Morris did struggle his first game. All facts. All demonstrate why it’s incredibly hard for a 3 star 2nd year player (Hoover) to be starter ready when most top 25 teams don’t even have a 3rd year QB starting yet (Finley, Chandler, etc in your argument).

Look at Max. How many years did it take for a highly rated recruit in Max for him to finally be a Heisman candidate? Development takes time.

I’m not knocking any of our QB’s future potential. Hoover may put it together eventually. Chandler has made big strides. If healthy, he could be ready to make a big statement this year. If injured early, Hoover isn’t ready.

nice job churning the post

hfhmilkman

Yes but in talking about Drake Maye, who DID start games when UNC was ranked, you discount that because UNC didn't finish the season ranked.

So you have a completely asinine set of requirements:

Freshman QB must play for a team that finished the season ranked
Must have started a game or games at the time they were ranked
Must not have come in as a highly rated prospect
Despite being classified as a redshirt freshman, can't have been on a 2020 roster (because that year was apparently very productive)

When you set all of those weird parameters, yes there are a limited number of guys who qualify.

The strangest thing is that you've set up all of these convoluted rules to "prove" that Josh Hoover isn't ready to lead a top 25 TCU, which is a point that exactly nobody would argue. Everyone on this board believes that our staff isn't dumb enough to have only Morris and Hoover on the depth chart and that they'll bring in a transfer with potential to start if need be.

But if you're trying to argue that freshmen aren't ready to play, that pendulum has swung in the other direction due to HS camps and position-specific coaching.

There are plenty of QB's starting as freshmen; you'll see them if you stop trying not to (Caleb Williams, Jaxson Dart, Seth Henigan, Tyler Buchner, JJ McCarthy, Athan Kaliakmanis, Dillon Gabriel,.......).
I can come up with one true freshman. I can't find his recruiting ranking. I believe Michael Vick was not a super elite recruit. Perhaps 20 years later more scrutiny means a higher rating.

I concur, some of these QB's can be ready. If a team has a system, they can be ready even sooner. These academies are essentially AP college football.