• The KillerFrogs

FWST: More than 20 players sit out TCU football’s final spring practice

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
More than 20 players sit out TCU football’s final spring practice

By Darren Lauber

TCU’s final spring practice was open to the public, which got to see a hodgepodge of regulars and underclassmen. But the couple hundred people who came out to Amon Carter Stadium on a beautiful Friday evening still got to see a show.

More importantly, no one got hurt.

More than 20 Frogs sat out the final practice with bumps, bruises and injuries, including wide receiver Jalen Reagor, who was prowling the sidelines in a floppy hat, and quarterback candidate Alex Delton.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article228882994.html#storylink=cpy

The only way TCU will be able to continue to be a top Big 12 team and a top 25 team is to be healthy. Not only be healthy but be Power 5 size to compete for a title and the Big 12 crown.

This is why elite schools hire the best S&C coaches, nutritionists, doctors, physical therapists, athletic trainers, equipment personnel, health and wellness staff. TCU has an excellent support staff so it's been frustrating. TCU has had way too many health issues which has been costly.

What as a fan I'm a little nervous (and always something to worry about, but this is with cause) about this coming season is that everyone will be finally healthy, but not power 5 size because it's been about getting back to the field than being able to get the strength and speed that is required to be at the top.

Eight

This is just insane, how can guys improve when they miss so much time in the Spring?

again, a number of the players who sat out are players who are established and either recovering from surgery or sitting out to avoid injury.

consider among that group include reagor, anderson, big ross, gaines, m. collins, and then a. delton is going to have a procedure soon.

that is roughly 1/3 of the 20 and in the first four they are all experienced hands who i believe the coaches are confident in what those players will contribute next fall

what some of this allowed is a number of young players getting critical reps.

spring isn't for your experienced vets, it is for developing your younger talent

Wexahu

The only way TCU will be able to continue to be a top Big 12 team and a top 25 team is to be healthy. Not only be healthy but be Power 5 size to compete for a title and the Big 12 crown.

This is why elite schools hire the best S&C coaches, nutritionists, doctors, physical therapists, athletic trainers, equipment personnel, health and wellness staff. TCU has an excellent support staff so it's been frustrating. TCU has had way too many health issues which has been costly.

What as a fan I'm a little nervous (and always something to worry about, but this is with cause) about this coming season is that everyone will be finally healthy, but not power 5 size because it's been about getting back to the field than being able to get the strength and speed that is required to be at the top.

I doubt we’re really all that injured as a team at this point, but when I read about all the guys sitting out practices I sometimes wonder if the Listenbee situation has anything to do with it.

Froggish

I doubt we’re really all that injured as a team at this point, but when I read about all the guys sitting out practices I sometimes wonder if the Listenbee situation has anything to do with it.

IThere’s probably some of that but more than anything I think GP is getting gun shy...That’s not to say he’s softening, I just think it’s harder for him to dial guys back and that makes it’s become easier just to sit guys down.

again, a number of the players who sat out are players who are established and either recovering from surgery or sitting out to avoid injury.

consider among that group include reagor, anderson, big ross, gaines, m. collins, and then a. delton is going to have a procedure soon.

that is roughly 1/3 of the 20 and in the first four they are all experienced hands who i believe the coaches are confident in what those players will contribute next fall

what some of this allowed is a number of young players getting critical reps.

spring isn't for your experienced vets, it is for developing your younger talent
Further I would bet most of those not practicing might have played in a game

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus

Not suggesting this has anything to do with the injury rash,but a few years ago TCU dumped its old team of doctors for another, who as I understand it, paid a huge amount for the right to be team docs. The old group had been team docs for almost 50 years. One of the docs did 2 knee surgeries on me. I saw him at the grocery store and he told me they received a call one day telling them, they were out and the new group was in,

Again, i cannot say this has anything to do with all of these injuries and it probably doesnt but our injury bug started about the time the new group took over.

Change of philosophy, treatment protocols or just bad luck? Who knows.

Wexahu

Not suggesting this has anything to do with the injury rash,but a few years ago TCU dumped its old team of doctors for another, who as I understand it, paid a huge amount for the right to be team docs. The old group had been team docs for almost 50 years. One of the docs did 2 knee surgeries on me. I saw him at the grocery store and he told me they received a call one day telling them, they were out and the new group was in,

Again, i cannot say this has anything to do with all of these injuries and it probably doesnt but our injury bug started about the time the new group took over.

Change of philosophy, treatment protocols or just bad luck? Who knows.

Doctors pay money to be the team docs? And huge money no less? I’m naive as can be on this subject, I had no idea that’s how it worked.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Doctors pay money to be the team docs? And huge money no less? I’m naive as can be on this subject, I had no idea that’s how it worked.
That’s what I was told. Not by an official source st TCU but by one of the old docs. I was a bit surprised by that but believe him

Froggish

OU Sports Radio Affiliate in OKC and Tulsa just spent entire segment making fun of TCU and GP for not having a spring game...Fun

Hope we kick their ass this year...according to them we have fallen off because GP is too old school. Recruits don’t respond to old school guys...Damn I want to beat the [ Finebaum ] out of those [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ]

Peacefrog

Degenerate
OU Sports Radio Affiliate in OKC and Tulsa just spent entire segment making fun of TCU and GP for not having a spring game...Fun

Hope we kick their ass this year...according to them we have fallen off because GP is to old school. Recruits don’t respond to old school guys...Damn I want to beat the [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] out of those [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ]
Yet, if they were looking for a coach they would hire GP in minute. Absolutely no need to listen to or care for anything homer sports personalities have to say.

In many cases, the hospital that represents their Ortho group purchases a large sponsorship, and in return the Ortho group is given the rights to be team doctors. This happens even in the NFL.

westoverhillbilly

That’s what I was told. Not by an official source st TCU but by one of the old docs. I was a bit surprised by that but believe him

Wes, I think I talked to the same doctor who is a neighbor and all purple.. As I recall, he said that the TCU gig gives this new group some street cred.. He concurred that his group were all of a sudden removed by someone in operations and there weren't really many hard feelings- the old docs (who are nearing retirement) were working basically for free (or low wages) and like being able to spend the additional time on leisure..

I do find your point about catching the injury bug about the time of the transition interesting- something never brought up before.. I'm always interested in hearing about a new conspiracy theory..

McFroggin

In years past, schools hired or contracted with excellent docs to ensure good quality care. The doctors really knew the kids. Then schools and professional sports realized they could cut costs here. Instead of hiring a doc that knew the team, they asked large groups of docs to pay them for the opportunity to treat the team for free in exchange for being able to market themselves as the official physicians of the program. Now the paid duty of treating the team is typically shared amongst the group.