• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Marcel Brooks expected to transition back to linebacker under TCU football’s new staff

Froggish

Marcel Brooks expected to transition back to linebacker under TCU football’s new staff

BY DREW DAVISON
DDAVISON@STAR-TELEGRAM.COM

Marcel Brooks is expected to transition back to the defensive side of the ball under TCU football’s new coaching staff, sources have told the Star-Telegram.

Brooks, who is listed at 6-foot-2, 194 pounds, has the potential to flourish in new defensive coordinator Joe Gillespie’s 3-3-5 scheme. Gillespie keeps his defensive approach relatively simple, allowing players’ instincts to take over on the field.

That should bode well for a player such as Brooks, who is one of the best athletes on the roster.

As one source put it, “Have a bit of work to do, but certainly a talented young man.”

Brooks is the only five-star recruit on TCU’s roster. He earned that ranking with a standout high school career at Flower Mound Marcus, being ranked as the No. 2 outside linebacker in the country in the 2019 class.

Brooks spent the 2019 season at LSU before transferring to TCU under former coach Gary Patterson. Brooks had eight tackles, 1 1/2 tackles for loss and 1 1/2 sacks as a true freshman for LSU in 2019.

Brooks started off his TCU career as a linebacker, appearing mostly on special teams during six games in 2020. He moved to wide receiver following the 2020 season but had just five catches for 47 yards in eight games last season.

Along with Brooks, another potential player to get a look at linebacker under TCU’s new staff is Khari Coleman. Coleman has played his first two seasons at defensive end but could be project as a linebacker with the scheme change.

Among the notable returners in the linebacker room include Dee Winters, who had a team-leading 74 tackles last season, Jamoi Hodge (60 tackles), Wyatt Harris (27 tackles) and Shadrach Banks (12 tackles).

Most shocking thing I read in the blurb was that Jamoi Hodge had 60 tackles.

NewFrogFan

A kid I know who played for Patterson 10+/- years ago said that his 4-2-5 was very complex and that one needed to really know the intricacies of the defense, especially in certain positions. When the kids got it, they could tighten down opponents. I remember in 1998 when Gary had to simplify the defense mid-season (in his first year here as DC) because the players were slow to react and they started playing alot better. Like many/most of you, I wonder how Brooks has fitted or not fitted in all of this..

Ala Lou Tepper.