• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Lucas Niang pushing to be NFL’s top pick

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Lucas Niang pushing to be NFL’s top pick

By Drew Davison

TCU’s Lucas Niang returned to school for his senior season because NFL evaluators didn’t view him as a first-round pick last spring.

That didn’t sit well with him and he’s now on a clear mission. It’s not just to prove he’s among the top offensive tackles in the country, either.

“Man, I’ve got to prove that I’m the best,” Niang said at Big 12 Media Days earlier this week. “I look at myself as the No. 1 overall pick and I guess I haven’t shown the world that. My pass-blocking is fine. I need to definitely dominant in the run, maybe incorporate some NFL technique in my game."

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article232776432.html#storylink=cpy

BankerFrog

Would be REALLY nice to have a solid line, will make a huge difference for whoever is QB'ing. Pumped to see how Niang performs this season

jake102

Would be REALLY nice to have a solid line, will make a huge difference for whoever is QB'ing. Pumped to see how Niang performs this season

I like the OL this year
LT - McKinney - proven senior.
LG - Myers - has had a year to learn OG position. And if McKinney gets hurt or doesn't play well, Myers can easily move over to LT.
C - McMillon - little worried here.
RG - Iwuagwu - proven senior
RT - Niang - very proven senior with ambition to be 1st round pick.

BankerFrog

I like the OL this year
LT - McKinney - proven senior.
LG - Myers - has had a year to learn OG position. And if McKinney gets hurt or doesn't play well, Myers can easily move over to LT.
C - McMillon - little worried here.
RG - Iwuagwu - proven senior
RT - Niang - very proven senior with ambition to be 1st round pick.

Yep exactly, it's nice not to have a bunch of new guys on the line. Agreed about the C, but hopefully he will show up and progress

Purp

I'm not sure #1 pick in the draft is a realistic goal for Niang simply b/c a tackle taken that high almost always plays on the left side. I can see him being a 1st round pick, but it seems like an obvious strike against him that he'd be on the right side of our line rather than the left.

Maybe the game has changed and that's not a good rule of thumb anymore?

Eight

nice to read that lucas believes he can get better and hopefully the work has been done similar to what we have seen from big ross.

tenor.gif

Froggish

Interesting that his draft feedback last year was that he needs to improve his run blocking. I feel like that’s a common criticism I’ve heard of Frog lineman. Pass block well but run blocking isn’t yet where it needs to be.

So Meyers is probably going to slide into McKinneys Tackle spot next year and do we really think Hollins has been passed by McMillon..I kind of hope so. I still think we’ll need a Grad Transfer OT for next season

PO Frog

I thought Harris was pushing for the C spot too, no? I know he struggled last year but improved late and I remember hearing good things from the spring (i think).

Eight

Interesting that his draft feedback last year was that he needs to improve his run blocking. I feel like that’s a common criticism I’ve heard of Frog lineman. Pass block well but run blocking isn’t yet where it needs to be.

So Meyers is probably going to slide into McKinneys Tackle spot next year and do we really think Hollins has been passed by McMillon..I kind of hope so. I still think we’ll need a Grad Transfer OT for next season

i remember early in lucas' career at tcu and being struck with how well he moved when he pulled and got out in front of ball carriers.

Eight

I thought Harris was pushing for the C spot too, no? I know he struggled last year but improved late and I remember hearing good things from the spring (i think).

been rumors, but until they put the pads on all is pretty much up in the air especially when you are talking about line play.

i do think a strong off season in the weight room and the agility work would pay big dividends for the frogs offense

Westsider

I'm not sure #1 pick in the draft is a realistic goal for Niang simply b/c a tackle taken that high almost always plays on the left side. I can see him being a 1st round pick, but it seems like an obvious strike against him that he'd be on the right side of our line rather than the left.

Maybe the game has changed and that's not a good rule of thumb anymore?

Maybe he’ll play for a left-handed quarterback.

talor

It all starts in the middle. If a team gets consistent push up the middle your entire gameplan is completely ruined. No runs, no pass, just a bunch of crap. It happened time and time again last year.