• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Longtime Fort Worth ISD administrator Herb Stephens Jr. dies

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Longtime Fort Worth ISD administrator Herb Stephens Jr. dies

By Drew Davison

Herb Stephens, who had a 36-year tenure in Fort Worth ISD, died on Thursday. He was 72.

Stephens became an assistant athletic director for the school district in 2000, and was promoted to athletic director in 2005. He served in that capacity until retiring in 2010.

The Fort Worth athletic complex, home of Wilkerson-Greines Activity Center, Clark Stadium and Goldstein Field, was re-named the “Herb Stephens Jr. Athletic Complex” following his retirement.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article229432484.html#storylink=cpy

MadFrog

A long time ago Herb and Brad Davis used to run basketball lessons out of Paschal High. Occasionally he would bring in Dennis Nutt to assist. It was awesome for my kid to learn from some of the best. Plus, I always thought Herb was a fun player to watch on the court for the Frogs. He ALWAYS hustled and gave 110%.

Paint It Purple

A really good guy, and fun to be around. I didn't know about his Marshall and military service before TCU. Guess that's why the younger guys at the time looked up to him. Rest peacefully Herb Stephens

sketchy

Coach Stephens was at Paschal during my time (78-82)
I seem to remember him teaching in the classroom, can’t remember subject.....but he was also our freshman baseball coach.
Super nice guy
Died too young

Genbukan

Coach Stephens was at Paschal during my time (78-82)
I seem to remember him teaching in the classroom, can’t remember subject.....but he was also our freshman baseball coach.
Super nice guy
Died too young

Herb was the JV basketball coach at Paschal and i played for him my sophomore year (75-76). His major teaching point with me was "bend your knees". Once he sat me on the bench i found i had to bend my knees when sitting!

A good guy...he will always be remembered fondly because i met my future wife in his biology class. He always had fun with life. He will be missed.

frogs9497

I had Coach Stephens my freshman year for biology. He also coached my younger brother, and was very helpful in getting him a golf scholarship.

Coach used to give me a hard time for wearing Duke T-shirts in class, so one day he decided to put ex-NBA player Brad Daugherty on the phone and handed it to me. Brad, of course, played at UNC (big Duke rival). A week later, Coach handed me a UNC shirt and said “This is from Brad.” Pretty cool.

Last edited:

ftwfrog

Such a good family. His daughter is an amazing teacher in Fort Worth. Sadly, her husband passed away a few years ago at age 44. Herb gave the eulogy at his funeral, and I can’t help but think of her in this difficult time.

Salfrog

Tier 1
Coach Stephens was the girls basketball, and golf coach, plus Biology teacher when I was at PHS in 80-84. He was an awesome teacher, and the girls that he coached all loved playing for him. He helped out with the boys basketball teams also when I played my freshman year.

Frog DJ

Boy, this thread is making me feel old!

When I went to Paschal our coaches were named Allen, Turner and Cox.

My dad was the VP of Operations at the old North Fort Worth State Bank on Main (it was originally located on Exchange), and he loved to cook breakfasts for local business groups in the bank’s kitchen.

When his health was starting to deteriorate one of his former players asked dad to host such a gathering to honor Coach Turner.

Sadly, I could not attend (it took place on a weekday morning, and I was living and working in Houston), but one of my old buddies thanked dad for staging the event, and remarked, “Boy, Coach Turner kept a bunch of us from spending the rest of our lives in prison!”

Go Frogs!

Last edited:

Diehard

My dad was the VP of Operations at the old North Fort Worth State on Main (it was originally located on Exchange), and he loved to cook breakfasts for local business groups in the bank’s kitchen.

When his health was starting to deteriorate one of his former players asked dad to host such a gathering to honor Coach Turner.

Sadly, I could not attend (it took place on a weekday morning, and I was living and working in Houston), but one of my old buddies thanked dad for staging the event, and remarked, “Boy, Coach Turner kept a bunch of us from spending the rest of our lives in prison!”

Go Frogs!
Me too. And your right about making me feel old. Allen, Turner, and Cox. Wow!

Frog DJ

Coach Cox approached me late in our senior year (66) and said he needed someone to compete in the high jump for the track team.

I told him I'd never done the high jump and had no vertical leap, but he said, "Don't worry - I'll teach you. I just need someone to do it."

I was up to my eyeballs in working part time on the radio and I knew my future was in the control room, not the locker room, so I declined.

He was not happy...

Go Frogs!

tcudoc

Coach Cox approached me late in our senior year (66) and said he needed someone to compete in the high jump for the track team.

I told him I'd never done the high jump and had no vertical leap, but he said, "Don't worry - I'll teach you. I just need someone to do it."

I was up to my eyeballs in working part time on the radio and I knew my future was in the control room, not the locker room, so I declined.

He was not happy...

Go Frogs!
giphy.gif

Leap Frog

My dad was the VP of Operations at the old North Fort Worth State Bank on Main (it was originally located on Exchange), and he loved to cook breakfasts for local business groups in the bank’s kitchen.

Go Frogs!
Talk about feeling old-- try this for size:
I did not go to Paschal, but remember the great 1945 State basketball team champs.
Corky Stewart
Ralph Pulley
Jack Robinson
Bill Johnson
Charley Stewart

EUROFROG

In the fall of 1972 I tried to walk on the basketball team with the goal of making the JV. Tons of players had graduated and most were freshman or transfers. Gary Landers, Lynn Royal (brother of Evans) Bill Bozeet, Rick Hensley, Laurence Young among others were there Herb was definitely the nicest guy on the court. I was all but ignored by most everyone for six weeks of pick up games in DMC except by Herb. He was always willing to talk to me and even would pass me the ball in games. He was definitely my favorite that season.

Frog DJ

Talk about feeling old-- try this for size:
I did not go to Paschal, but remember the great 1945 State basketball team champs.
Corky Stewart
Ralph Pulley
Jack Robinson
Bill Johnson
Charley Stewart
Wow! Coach Turner still had a picture of that team on the wall in his office , if I remember correctly.

Go Frogs!

Leap Frog

Wow! Coach Turner still had a picture of that team on the wall in his office , if I remember correctly.

Go Frogs!
Arguably the best all white team ever.
Jumping Jackie Robinson played center at only 6 feet tall-- but what a rebounder and scorer he was.
Three off that five went to Baylor and made the final four in '48-'49.