• The KillerFrogs

FWST: LaDainian Tomlinson challenges TCU to examine its past, ties to racial injustice

Endless Purple

Why is that so difficult for us to do?

Personally, I don't think people want to know history beyond what supports their preconceived notions or benefits them in some way. Too much learning is about one answer and not varied thought or being able to comprehend multiple viewpoints.

I saw a comment somewhere about LT having a hard time or ashamed about his ancestors being slaves (don't remember the exact wording), but I found that sad. In no way should that be a negative since they did not do anything bad to earn that distinction nor did he do anything to contribute to it. Instead his ancestors grew from a hard situation to grow and succeed to where he was able to be successful in sports and in life by his family overcoming the past. Seems like it should be considered a great accomplishment.

Yet, the notions of what is good and bad can distort or change perceptions and not all people are taught to look at many different angles (and ramifications of choices) of an issue before deciding good or bad. Similar to this past election having so little to do with laws and policies but about who you like or don't based on their twitter accounts.

I blame education from schools (policies and laws) and parents for not preparing children to learn to think. (This applies to both sides of the issues) Hence the reason for working on getting my Ph.D. in Education.

4th. down

Again, not feasible in the classroom environment where they go thru chapters in books in rapid fire mode. Plus you still didn't address how you would be able to find teachers that would not put their biases & or political views/spins on the subjest matter. We can all say that we want the "real truth", but do we really? Are we truly ready for those true realities and will we accept them without any debate or skepticism? What omissions do you feel need to be taught? I'm sure there are a lot of omissions from text books in different subjects.

Critical Thought. It, for the most part, is not taught in our schools or homes. There is so much noise now, it takes discipline to stay focused. I see it in my family and even myself. Example......In retrospect, I was ashamed of myself with the way I handled the storm Harvey, being right in the floodway but then did what was required in this last winter blast. People can think critically, but you've got to focus and eliminate the noise.

I'm a big fan of LT. However, where would he be now, if raised in Africa? I don't recall him referencing that aspect. Let's either adhere to our constitution of "all men are created equal" or not.

flyfishingfrog

The sports that are being referred to are generating revenue, Riddler.
Only about 1/10 of the schools that play football make money

in 2019, 25 schools made money averaging $7.9 million in profit total from athletics

over 300+ lost money averaging loses of more than $16 million

so how would you handle the fact that 90% of schools and 99% of student athletes regardless of race play a sport that loses money for the school even beyond the “cost” of a scholarship?

All the other students pay the way for those athletes in most schools - and if you pay athletes in sports that generate profit - either sports that don’t will be dropped or students will pay the costs

Last edited:

CountryFrog

3 stages
Denial
Deflect
Anger
It would probably be easier for people to approach this debate if you gave actual specific examples of what you think needs to be taught that isn't currently and what is being taught currently that shouldn't be.

You're being incredibly vague and just talking about truthful and complete history. It's like saying that our football team needs to be better. We all agree with it but without mentioning some of the specific players, coaches, position groups, etc. then it's not much of a discussion.

CountryFrog

For example - I don't remember ever having any type of discussion in HS about the Bay of Pigs or Cuban missile crisis. And no, it's not because I was in HS BEFORE those events occurred. Maybe it was mentioned but there was no real teaching on either event.

I'd also love it if more history centered around the average citizens of the country throughout time including the very poor and enslaved. What they experienced on a daily basis and how their lives evolved through the decades. There's just not enough time to teach all of that unless you want to say that's all that should be taught and just skip over wars, presidents, westward expansion, and all those types of things.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Critical Thought. It, for the most part, is not taught in our schools or homes. There is so much noise now, it takes discipline to stay focused. I see it in my family and even myself. Example......In retrospect, I was ashamed of myself with the way I handled the storm Harvey, being right in the floodway but then did what was required in this last winter blast. People can think critically, but you've got to focus and eliminate the noise.

I'm a big fan of LT. However, where would he be now, if raised in Africa? I don't recall him referencing that aspect. Let's either adhere to our constitution of "all men are created equal" or not.

That’s really an interesting aspect that never gets discussed. Although it is horrible that anyone was brought in chains to this country, I’m guessing that as much as some complain about the inequity here, very few would give up their lives here for the African experience. The few that did and founded Liberia hardly created a paradise.

A while back I read a piece by a black SF soldier that deployed with CJTF-HOA AFRICOM who wrote of his deployment there saying how he had looked forward to experiencing the mother continent. He basically said how shocked he was how native Africans treated each other, including on-going slavery and how much he missed the US. With all of our failings, he said he wouldn’t trade it for anything after experiencing life in Africa.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
See
That’s really an interesting aspect that never gets discussed. Although it is horrible that anyone was brought in chains to this country, I’m guessing that as much as some complain about the inequity here, very few would give up their lives here for the African experience. The few that did and founded Liberia hardly created a paradise.

A while back I read a piece by a black SF soldier that deployed with CJTF-HOA AFRICOM who wrote of his deployment there saying how he had looked forward to experiencing the mother continent. He basically said how shocked he was how native Africans treated each other, including on-going slavery and how much he missed the US. With all of our failings, he said he wouldn’t trade it for anything after experiencing life in Africa.

See:

But, I know nothing. So take the suggestion for what it's worth...

Hmmm... It will not let me post a link to Keith B. Richburg's work: Out of America: A Black Man Confronts Africa. Anyway, look it up. Great book full of insight illustrating much of what De Tocqueville wrote about nearly 200 years ago, but which seems lost on many people in this sad time of forgetting.

Last edited:

The TCU Football Jerk

Not all TCU has done in the past regarding race is bad. I read a story (in a book, so no link to post) about the Great Debaters. Denzel and Forrest Whittaker were in the movie about it. Historically black university debate team, Wiley College in Texas. Melvin Tolson created this incredible debate team. It took on any takers and challengers and won. Harvard, etc. They were treated horribly everywhere they went, often couldn't actually compete in actual events, had to schedule "practice sessions" to compete against white schools. Usually off campus. So long story short, they debated TCU. TCU was the only southern school that treated them as equals. Let them compete on campus. Let them compete (which Wiley easily won) in an actual contest. Farmer said TCU was a fine school and he and the students were very happy in TCU and the way they were received. The white crowd actually rushed the stage to congratulate Wiley after the contest.

I know this is one small thing, I get that. But it also shows that not everything TCU has in its past in regards to race is horrible.

Spike

See

See:

But, I know nothing. So take the suggestion for what it's worth...

Hmmm... It will not let me post a link to Keith B. Richburg's work: Out of America: A Black Man Confronts Africa. Anyway, look it up. Great book full of insight illustrating much of what De Tocqueville wrote about nearly 200 years ago, but which seems lost on many people in this sad time of forgetting.

THIS!

Everytime someone complains about their lot in life in America I just want them to name every sovereign nation on this planet where they would have a better life.

Endless Purple

It would probably be easier for people to approach this debate if you gave actual specific examples of what you think needs to be taught that isn't currently and what is being taught currently that shouldn't be.

You're being incredibly vague and just talking about truthful and complete history. It's like saying that our football team needs to be better. We all agree with it but without mentioning some of the specific players, coaches, position groups, etc. then it's not much of a discussion.

I think this is an example of the situation as a whole, not only 2themax. Looking at calls for change in education or systemic racism and most responses are vague suggestions of what people want to see changed but only a few give specific workable examples of how or what to change (most of those just treat symptoms, not the cause). This is why we see little change across the country other than surface thoughts and the amount of whites in TV commercials. No true change only trying to look good towards the conversation because no one really tries to change the core or will change anything that affects themselves or adds more work to themselves (again - this applies to both sides).

Eight

I think this is an example of the situation as a whole, not only 2themax. Looking at calls for change in education or systemic racism and most responses are vague suggestions of what people want to see changed but only a few give specific workable examples of how or what to change (most of those just treat symptoms, not the cause). This is why we see little change across the country other than surface thoughts and the amount of whites in TV commercials. No true change only trying to look good towards the conversation because no one really tries to change the core or will change anything that affects themselves or adds more work to themselves (again - this applies to both sides).

one thing i would like to add is those in position to make changes may in fact know what changes are needed, but being honest is political suicide and therefore for their futures it is better to muddle along than actually address problems

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
There is no "conversation" to be had. Only nebulous demands which are not defined, thus can never be met. Whatever the pitiful leftys that run Universities, or Businesses, or Media offer up in terms of surrender, it is never enough and only deepens the demands and accusations.

For such "smart" people, they are being played by a bunch of con artists that have to be laughing themselves silly...

4th. down

There is no "conversation" to be had. Only nebulous demands which are not defined, thus can never be met. Whatever the pitiful leftys that run Universities, or Businesses, or Media offer up in terms of surrender, it is never enough and only deepens the demands and accusations.

For such "smart" people, they are being played by a bunch of con artists that have to be laughing themselves silly...

Yep, so true, and it appears they want to move (the con artist do) beyond a system like the Nordic States of a Social Democracy. Where that place is beyond a Social Democracy is scary to say the least, but these powers to be are very radical. They may eventually be pointing to a left type fascist movement, and this race card is only one of many being played. Turn up the noise with calamity after calamity, keep the populace in a state of confusion.