• The KillerFrogs

FWST: LaDainian Tomlinson challenges TCU to examine its past, ties to racial injustice

2themax

No one is asking or suggesting for the abolishing of US history.
What is being challenged is the accuracy of it.
Tell the truth.
Deeper than slavery and civil rights.

flyfishingfrog

No one is asking or suggesting for the abolishing of US history.
What is being challenged is the accuracy of it.
Tell the truth.
Deeper than slavery and civil rights.
and who determines what is the "truth"

The oldest saying in the world is history belongs to the victor

the difference between a patriot and a traitor is who wins the war

no person with a bias can ever write a true history - and everyone has bias

So basically what you are saying is you don't agree with the current version - fine, many don't

but what you want is a version that you will agree with and you will see that as the truth - but others won't and will say it is not accurate

who is correct? and what does it change in the present or future?

Mean Purple

Agree with him or not, there's no one who has earned the right to express their opinion about TCU more than LaDainian Tomlinson. And the school should absolutely listen to and consider anything he brings up. Key words being listen and consider.
As long as he understands that fee college and development for the pros he got is evidence that the University is not doing things based on skin color.

Spike

Thank you for the education TCU. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to showcase my skills on the field TCU. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to get to the next level TCU! Now go reexamine your past!

flyfishingfrog

As long as he understands that fee college and development for the pros he got is evidence that the University is not doing things based on skin color.
there was a satirical piece written a few years ago by a well known SEC sports columnist about the fact that such a high percentage of football players in the SEC are black shows a racial bias against white football players and the black players were only selected because of quota ratios - he meant it as total humor since he ended by using stats that demonstrated the players were chosen based on their overall performance on the field and summarized by saying that if the narrative that we were exploiting black football players for their abilities in college football was true, it was not because of their race but because of their abilities and the only fix for that was to end college football in total.

and the last sentence was - is that what everyone wants?

flyfishingfrog

So asking a football player what number he is is racist?
evidently.

I am not sure if his point was that on campus - every black person is thought to be an athlete or if he was saying that black athletes are just viewed as "numbers" and people don't get to know them.

Both are probably true to some extent - but the same can be said for all athletes and that most people assume they are only at TCU because of their abilities on the field and they would not have gotten in on their own merit otherwise.

another group holds them on a pedestal as if they are better than normal students because of their position in the school and thus don't know how to approach them.

And as I said - when you wear a uniform, a large part of your identify resides in that uniform - military, professional or athlete.

I am curious to know how many black athletes know the name of many non-athletes on campus now? or athletes at all really? I did not hang around with a lot of people outside my teammates because of the time commitment to athletics. and most of those I did know by name were in a class with me more than once.

Jared7

I think LT is right - we should know more about our history and be more conversant about it. I'd like to learn more and I have several questions that some of you might know the answers to.

From a TCU360 article, I learned that the first undergraduate African-American students at TCU enrolled in September 1962, including Allene Jones, who was already a licensed nurse but wanted to get a better education to advance in the field. She was one of the first 2 black graduates in May 1963 (along with Doris Anne McBride Goree); she then went to UCLA for an advanced degree and returned in 1968, when she became the first African-American professor, specializing in psychiatric nursing. She taught for nearly 30 years; retiring in 1998. She remained an emeritus professor until she died in 2015. Does anyone remember Professor Jones? Who were some other African-American professors? When did they arrive?

By the time I arrived in the late 70's, the situation had changed substantially - there were many African American students and several Professors. Who were the Board Members and administrators who led this policy?

Who was the first graduate-level African or African-American? I believe that several private Texas schools started recruiting and accepting students in the late 50's from African (and other) countries - did TCU do that? Who were they?

In sports, SMU led the way in 1967 in the SWC with Jerry LeVias - didn't we follow in 1968? Who were the first players? Which sports?

Was the failure to admit black students until then ever a stated formal policy? How did this compare to similarly situated schools?

What is the current percentage of African American students? Graduate and undergraduate? Professors?

2themax

Tons of intellectual thinking and it all has little to do with true US history.
I dare you take a no nonsense look at US history in its rawest form.
It's not as pretty as many pretend it to be.
I do realize that this forum is full of ultra conservative individuals.
Thing is your opinion doesn't outweigh truth.
Debating the 1619 Project on here would be like asking you to think outside what you've been taught since...before slavery in the US.
Why would I believe it would be received objectively?
The only reason it's been brought up is because there are individuals prepared with rebuttals.
Alternative reality would be the correct term.

CountryFrog

Tons of intellectual thinking and it all has little to do with true US history.
I dare you take a no nonsense look at US history in its rawest form.
It's not as pretty as many pretend it to be.
I do realize that this forum is full of ultra conservative individuals.
Thing is your opinion doesn't outweigh truth.
Debating the 1619 Project on here would be like asking you to think outside what you've been taught since...before slavery in the US.
Why would I believe it would be received objectively?
The only reason it's been brought up is because there are individuals prepared with rebuttals.
Alternative reality would be the correct term.
If your point is that every single citizen doesn't fully understand every single aspect of American history then I would agree.

2themax

Thank you for the education TCU. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to showcase my skills on the field TCU. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to get to the next level TCU! Now go reexamine your past!
And UT is welcome for profiting $114 million from the football program in 2019.
TCU is turning a profit too.

Eight

And TCU is welcome for profiting $114 million from the football program in 2019.

profiting? much like a view of history apparently, we don't have the same view of the term profit because i don't think the frogs cleared $114M in their football program in 2019 and i am damn sure the athletic department didn't

CountryFrog

And TCU is welcome for profiting $114 million from the football program in 2019.
Yea I really don't understand why anyone would have a problem with LT of all people giving his opinion about TCU. I can't think of a single person who's earned it more than him. The guy could spend an hour talking about things I'm 100% opposed to in every way and I'd still listen to ever word and consider the perspective he's giving.

This isn't Kolby Listenbee or some other disgruntled former athlete. This is a guy who has arguably done more to bring notoriety to the school and athletic department than any other individual ever. And he doesn't have a track record of spouting BS at every turn. If he doesn't get to speak his mind on whatever the hell he wants then no one does.

2themax

profiting? much like a view of history apparently, we don't have the same view of the term profit because i don't think the frogs cleared $114M in their football program in 2019 and i am damn sure the athletic department didn't
It was UT. My bad.
TCU does profit from it's fb program.
I'm sure you could provide those numbers.

2themax

and who determines what is the "truth"

The oldest saying in the world is history belongs to the victor

the difference between a patriot and a traitor is who wins the war

no person with a bias can ever write a true history - and everyone has bias

So basically what you are saying is you don't agree with the current version - fine, many don't

but what you want is a version that you will agree with and you will see that as the truth - but others won't and will say it is not accurate

who is correct? and what does it change in the present or future?
Keep that in mind when your buddies continue to prop up Trump.

CountryFrog

Not really.
My point is true US history is not truthfully taught.
If you care to know, then yes I'm still learning about my ancestors' American history through research.
It's not taught correctly in schools.
I agree it's not taught correctly. Problem is that it's literally impossible to teach the entirety of American history in 2 semesters the way it's done in schools. You could spend an entire semester only studying the Civil War and not be able to come close to covering it in a truly comprehensive fashion. It also doesn't help that a lot of Junior High and High School history teachers are actually football and basketball coaches who spend class time watching film while their class watches a History Channel production on Benedict Arnold.

While I understand where you're coming from, it's just not realistic to expect every person to have a full and comprehensive understanding of human history any more than they have a full and comprehensive understanding of quantum physics.

Hell I can't even get people to understand how delicious pumpkin pancakes are.

Last edited:

Latest posts