• The KillerFrogs

FWST: It’s way past time for NCAA to start seeding all 64 baseball teams

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: It’s way past time for NCAA to start seeding all 64 baseball teams

BY GIL LEBRETON
glebreton@star-telegram.com

The field for the NCAA baseball tournament was announced Monday, and I have a suggestion for the selection committee:

Quit filling out the bracket as if it was a car pool.

Teams can find the airport. Send some of those Southeastern Conference and Atlantic Coast Conference teams that the committee slobbers over to the West Coast.

Seed all 64 teams, not just the first eight.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/gil-lebreton/article153249449.html

One thing to remember... Part of the consideration for awarding a regional is financial consideration and the quality of the host application to the NCAA. They do consider one teams ability to make money for the NCAA as a regional host vs the other.

Pharm Frog

Has the committee addressed any of these and given the thought process?

Posted a part of this in another thread. From the Charlottesville newspaper, "The Daily Progress"....the second bolded statement is complete lunacy and ass-covering of the first order. It is very clear that O'Connor is extremely pissed off.

Selection committee chairman Scott Sidwell said things were “very, very razor thin” between Clemson and Virginia.

“[The committee had] significant amount of discussion about this particular regional host award,” Sidwell said during a Monday teleconference. “I think ultimately as we looked at all of it, there were arguments on both sides. One thing that stood out to us was the nonconference strength of schedule for Virginia was significantly higher than it was for Clemson.”

By “higher,” Sidwell means the actual number. UVa’s strength of schedule rank was No. 238. Clemson’s was No. 81, according to D1Baseball.com.

Virginia coach Brian O’Connor addressed that issue by stressing the Cavaliers’ location. The Tigers play an annual series against South Carolina. Finding such a high-caliber matchup isn’t as easy for a program in Central Virginia.

Mystery, too, surrounds why the Cavaliers, who barely missed hosting a regional, are having to travel to a national seed site. Projections by both D1Baseball.com and Baseball America had UVa in Kentucky’s regional. The Wildcats are not a national seed.

“If Virginia is a 2-seed and let’s hypothetically say we’re one of the better 2-seeds out there in the tournament, I don’t think we should be going to a national seed,” O’Connor said. “And I don’t say that for Virginia. I say that to protect the national seed.

“If you’re trying to seed this tournament and you’re picking the eight teams, the eight national seeds that they believe should go to Omaha, then we should be doing, as a tournament, the best way to protect those eight teams.”

Sidwell’s explanation of why the ’Hoos are being shipped to Fort Worth left room for clarity.
“One of the things that is challenging about the process of how we seed the teams is there’s certain criteria that we’re bound to by the bylaws and is determined by the association and how we seed that,” Sidwell said. “And there’s some restrictions on travel and different things that make it difficult.”

Flights have been required all five times the Cavaliers have had to travel for regionals in the 14-year O’Connor era. Virginia, coming off an ACC Tournament title and holding an RPI of 6 in 2009, was sent to Irvine, California, in a regional that included No. 6 national seed UC Irvine, a Stephen Strasburg-led San Diego State club and defending national champion Fresno State.

Realtorfrog

Posted a part of this in another thread. From the Charlottesville newspaper, "The Daily Progress"....the second bolded statement is complete lunacy and ass-covering of the first order. It is very clear that O'Connor is extremely pissed off.

Selection committee chairman Scott Sidwell said things were “very, very razor thin” between Clemson and Virginia.

“[The committee had] significant amount of discussion about this particular regional host award,” Sidwell said during a Monday teleconference. “I think ultimately as we looked at all of it, there were arguments on both sides. One thing that stood out to us was the nonconference strength of schedule for Virginia was significantly higher than it was for Clemson.”

By “higher,” Sidwell means the actual number. UVa’s strength of schedule rank was No. 238. Clemson’s was No. 81, according to D1Baseball.com.

Virginia coach Brian O’Connor addressed that issue by stressing the Cavaliers’ location. The Tigers play an annual series against South Carolina. Finding such a high-caliber matchup isn’t as easy for a program in Central Virginia.

Mystery, too, surrounds why the Cavaliers, who barely missed hosting a regional, are having to travel to a national seed site. Projections by both D1Baseball.com and Baseball America had UVa in Kentucky’s regional. The Wildcats are not a national seed.

“If Virginia is a 2-seed and let’s hypothetically say we’re one of the better 2-seeds out there in the tournament, I don’t think we should be going to a national seed,” O’Connor said. “And I don’t say that for Virginia. I say that to protect the national seed.

“If you’re trying to seed this tournament and you’re picking the eight teams, the eight national seeds that they believe should go to Omaha, then we should be doing, as a tournament, the best way to protect those eight teams.”

Sidwell’s explanation of why the ’Hoos are being shipped to Fort Worth left room for clarity.
“One of the things that is challenging about the process of how we seed the teams is there’s certain criteria that we’re bound to by the bylaws and is determined by the association and how we seed that,” Sidwell said. “And there’s some restrictions on travel and different things that make it difficult.”

Flights have been required all five times the Cavaliers have had to travel for regionals in the 14-year O’Connor era. Virginia, coming off an ACC Tournament title and holding an RPI of 6 in 2009, was sent to Irvine, California, in a regional that included No. 6 national seed UC Irvine, a Stephen Strasburg-led San Diego State club and defending national champion Fresno State.

Thank you!

Pharm Frog

One thing to remember... Part of the consideration for awarding a regional is financial consideration and the quality of the host application to the NCAA. They do consider one teams ability to make money for the NCAA as a regional host vs the other.

Has nothing to do with why UVA is coming to Fort Worth...but it might be a rationale for how UVA should have gotten a host site over UH, Southern Miss, LBSU, and Kentucky for sure.

Has nothing to do with why UVA is coming to Fort Worth...but it might be a rationale for how UVA should have gotten a host site over UH, Southern Miss, LBSU, and Kentucky for sure.

Yep! Wasn't meaning to point that at Virginia specifically, more just a general reminder of this oddity of NCAA Baseball Tournament. Unfortunately, your team quality and performance are not the only things at play when it comes to hosting.

I would guess this is also the biggest concern when it comes to seeding 1-16 or 1-64... How do you balance the financial perspective? Some teams really CAN'T host a weekend tournament, there are regional concerns, etc.

Pharm Frog

Yep! Wasn't meaning to point that at Virginia specifically, more just a general reminder of this oddity of NCAA Baseball Tournament. Unfortunately, your team quality and performance are not the only things at play when it comes to hosting.

I would guess this is also the biggest concern when it comes to seeding 1-16 or 1-64... How do you balance the financial perspective? Some teams really CAN'T host a weekend tournament, there are regional concerns, etc.

There should be zero "regional concerns" if that means geography. This isn't D2 baseball. Abilene Christian flies to Corvallis on the last weekend of the season for goodness sake. Pretty sure that Stanford doesn't drive to Tuscon. There's no pep bands or cheerleaders to load up and transport like the NCAA basketball tournament. You are correct that some teams "can't" host a regional tournament but those are very few unless minor league baseball schedules interfere and even then there have been interesting accommodations made (Lake Elsinore for example). I really don't think they need to seed all the way to 64. 32 would be enough IMO. There's gonna be so many potential intra-conference play in regionals with straight seeding that they'll start having to break brackets anyway. BUT, one fundamental rule of bracket-making is this -- you always break the brackets to the advantage of the higher seed. This is what O'Connor was saying.

Pharm Frog

I really hope BYU makes the CWS, just because I want to see if the NCAA and ESPN bend over "totally" for them.

I'm rooting for UT to win the LBSU regional but have to go max games with a day delay for weather to get it done while BYU sweeps three in Palo Alto and finishes on Saturday. Then watch to see if they force UT to start the Supers early in Austin. Not a chance that's gonna happen but fun to think about.