• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Is TCU football getting the respect it deserves from ESPN?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Is TCU football getting the respect it deserves from ESPN?

BY DREW DAVISON
ddavison@star-telegram.com

In its latest college football “Power Rankings,” ESPN has ranked TCU as the No. 21 team in the country going into 2018.

ESPN praises the Horned Frogs for having a “hard-nosed defense in an offense-first league,” pointing to what should be a standout defensive line with Ben Banogu and Ross Blacklock.

Offensively, TCU is more of an unknown with Shawn Robinson expected to take over at quarterback and the line in makeover mode.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article215969250.html

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Why should they? Small school, maybe 80,000 living Alumni; we don't move their ratings meter a whit. Like the annual 'Football Magazines' every summer, the money is in getting Aggies and Longhorns to pick up copies at the supermarket.

ESPN has properties, programs that it has under contract and Conferences it owns lock, stock and barrel. It will pimp those Conferences and programs at the expense of others because it is in their interest to do so. They have a financial motivation.

I would enjoy seeing Gil LeBreton, or one of his other ink-stained brethren do a little looking at the way ESPN shapes it's "reporting" to protect or destroy various entities based on their contractural relationships. Casting themselves as "disinterested journalists" while being an integral element of most stories is absolutely dishonest, and ESPN has been so for about two decades now...

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Why should they? Small school, maybe 80,000 living Alumni; we don't move their ratings meter a whit. Like the annual 'Football Magazines' every summer, the money is in getting Aggies and Longhorns to pick up copies at the supermarket.

ESPN has properties, programs that it has under contract and Conferences it owns lock, stock and barrel. It will pimp those Conferences and programs at the expense of others because it is in their interest to do so. They have a financial motivation.

I would enjoy seeing Gil LeBreton, or one of his other ink-stained brethren do a little looking at the way ESPN shapes it's "reporting" to protect or destroy various entities based on their contractural relationships. Casting themselves as "disinterested journalists" while being an integral element of most stories is absolutely dishonest, and ESPN has been so for about two decades now...
Wisdom

Frog DJ

When all is said and done - who cares what any of the preseason polls say?

CGP has always insisted that the only thing that counts is where TCU is ranked in December - not September.

We're all starved for football news, but the uninformed opinions of self-aggrandized "experts" have zero impact on how good TCU will be.

I can tell I'm getting really old because I find I have less and less time for righteous indignation over perceived slights from the media.

Has the band left Ed Landreth yet (or do they even do that anymore)?

Go Frogs!

ShadowFrog

Moderators
When all is said and done - who cares what any of the preseason polls say?

CGP has always insisted that the only thing that counts is where TCU is ranked in December - not September.

We're all starved for football news, but the uninformed opinions of self-aggrandized "experts" have zero impact on how good TCU will be.

I can tell I'm getting really old because I find I have less and less time for righteous indignation over perceived slights from the media.

Has the band left Ed Landreth yet (or do they even do that anymore)?

Go Frogs!
I think they most recently started at either Frog Fountain or where Rickel sand volleyball pits are now.