• The KillerFrogs

FWST: If Alabama’s Jalen Hurts decides to transfer ... TCU could be “perfect landing spot”

Bob Sugar

You can pick any one school and the odds are in the favor of anyone who says he won't go there.
giphy.gif

Eight

this is a very, very odd one.

the ncaa has done some crazy [ Finebaum ], but i don't know how they justify fields being immediately eligible unless there is something we just don't know about and before any mentions the big school angle consider that from a case law perspective by granting fields immediately eligibility the ncaa better get ready to allow every football player the right to immediate eligibility

as far as tate, he is the classic example of too much attention paid way too soon in the recruiting process

Purp

You are ignoring how much easier his life will be attacking defenses in this conference compared to the SEC. He will be facing vaunted D lines of Tech, Kansas, K State, etc, as opposed to LSU, Florida, Miss State. That alone will create improvement.
Our supporting cast is plenty good enough, really freaking good in fact, the problem we have is the coaching staff having no earthly idea how to rotate these guys. You see Bama and Clemson WR's, they stick to the same 4 guys the entire game and they never come off the field. We need to roll with Reagor Hunt Stephens and Barber/Davis and go. No need to play anyone else baring injury. That's how this supporting cast makes a leap. Our RB's are plenty good enough to win this conference. Imagine a read option or RPO with Hurts/DA/So and Reagor across the middle. We don't need him to air it out every snap, lean on the running game like he did at Bama and wear teams down with 6 and 33.
Take a look at our turnovers in each game this year. 1 int against SMU, 2 against TOSU and a fumble, 4 turnovers from the QB POSITION ALONE against UT, 2 picks against TEXAS EFFING TECH, a pick against Kansas, and we put the ball on the ground 7 times against West Virginia. Ignoring the criminal charges that should be brought for that performance, do you think in your right mind that 2 time national championship starter Jalen Hurts would throw 2 picks against Texas Tech? What about 3 picks and a fumble against UT? Or the shovel pass against Ohio State? Would he even have an incompletion against KU? That's 3 wins right there we should have had this year, Hurts aside, based on turnovers alone. Now i'm supposed to believe that a kid who threw one pick the entire year last year against the SEC wouldn't help with that? We were up 16-10 and driving against UT when Shawn suddenly lost the ability to hold onto the ball. We get the 9-3 easily based on turnovers this year.
We finished 3-1 in the regular season. Why? 0 interceptions in 4 games. Funny how that works. Add that to a QB who can actually make plays, can use his feet, and I'm supposed to believe the number 1 ranked defense in the conference won't contend for a Big 12 title? Joke.
I think you've drawn me offsides and I'm tempted to engage the ignore feature if this inanity persists.

You keep wanting me to imagine things that I've already imagined, but you seem to expect me to reach your conclusion. I just don't. I can see it happening, sure. But I don't think it's as likely to happen as you seem to.

You also keep referring to "2 time national championship starter Jalen Hurts" as if Bama wouldn't have been in those title games with nearly any other QB they've recruited since Saban was there. I've made my point that Hurts was the benefactor of a tremendous supporting cast at Bama. An extension of that point is that, if I were going to give credit to a single player for getting Bama into those title games, Jalen Hurts wouldn't be top of the list. I do think he's a better QB now than he was in his freshman and sophomore seasons, but I'm still not totally sold he's the 2nd coming of Christ as you seem to believe.

You refer to him as "a QB who can actually make plays" in addition to his ability to use his feet, which implies you think those plays he could actually make are with his arm. His track record of making plays with his arm is not at all well established. That's been my reason for tempering expectations of the kid from the jump.

Also, in my right mind I seem to remember Jake Fromm (national title game starter) throwing a pick and fumble against the Texas defense and he should have had a couple more picked than he did. In my right mind I remember Kyler Murray (Heisman winner) throwing two picks against Tech this year. I bet there were several strong QBs who threw two picks against tOSU this year.

Your analysis of our win totals without some totally careless turnovers is correct. I won't dispute that. The Texas game, in particular, is especially frustrating b/c the momentum swing in the 3rd quarter of that game seemed to stick with both teams for the remainder of the year. Texas was ready to quit before we handed them that game. Without those 3rd quarter turnovers I think our seasons end much differently and Texas is the squad looking for late season wins to get bowl eligible. But none of that has anything to do with Jalen Hurts and what our expectations should be of him if he wears our helmet next season.

Finally, I never once said anything about him not giving us a chance to contend for the B12 title. In fact, I've said repeatedly that I think he gives us the most likely chance to win next season. I don't think competing for a conference title, however, would be a "program altering moment" like you unequivocally said Hurts would be.

Kyle101011

as far as tate, he is the classic example of too much attention paid way too soon in the recruiting process
I agree. I also wasn’t too impressed with him during QB1 season 1.
Off topic but in QB1 season 2 I feel bad for Re-al Mitchell. He has all the cameras following him and then he gets benched during the season for poor play. However, his replacement DJ Uiagalelei is now the number 1 pro style QB in the nation according to 247.

MTfrog5

this is a very, very odd one.

the ncaa has done some crazy [ steaming pile of Orgeron ], but i don't know how they justify fields being immediately eligible unless there is something we just don't know about and before any mentions the big school angle consider that from a case law perspective by granting fields immediately eligibility the ncaa better get ready to allow every football player the right to immediate eligibility

Completely agree regarding Fields. If they let him play next year, they might as well get rid of the rule making kids sit out

pgdaly84

Completely agree regarding Fields. If they let him play next year, they might as well get rid of the rule making kids sit out

His argument is going to be that he received threats from UGA fans and feared for his safety when he announced his intent to transfer. Not kidding.

Eight

Yep and the documented racial slur from a member of the baseball team, who was dismissed from the team.

and? not trying to be insensitive to the racial issues, but that is a reason you leave.

that is not a reason you should be allowed to play right away because if you do that for those reasons get ready to open the floodgates.

serious, coached yelled at me and i can't take the pressure there so i should be able to play right away at my new school.

as far as what happened after he announced the decision i don't see the relevance.

Chico Dusty

and? not trying to be insensitive to the racial issues, but that is a reason you leave.

that is not a reason you should be allowed to play right away because if you do that for those reasons get ready to open the floodgates.

serious, coached yelled at me and i can't take the pressure there so i should be able to play right away at my new school.

as far as what happened after he announced the decision i don't see the relevance.

I’m not commenting one way or the other - just stating what his argument is most likely going to be.