• The KillerFrogs

FWST: How bad is TCU’s offense? Worse than Kansas, according to this key stat

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
How bad is TCU’s offense? Worse than Kansas, according to this key stat

BY PETER DAWSON
pdawson@star-telegram.com

TCU’s offense is not playing well.

The Star-Telegram’s Drew Davison broke down the unit’s turnover problem on Monday.

The ailing shoulder of quarterback Shawn Robinson hasn’t helped matters, either.

But head coach Gary Patterson’s offense has really struggled to put points on the board, especially in the team’s Big 12 games.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article220065520.html

LeagueCityFrog

We are recruiting elite athletes now and are paying top dollar to run this offense in an awesome stadium and awesome training facility in a conference not known, supposedly, for playing any defense. Our next opponent gave up a ton of points at a neutral site and fired their defensive coordinator. No excuses this week. Fans not happy.

Eight

What a waste of a fantastic defense. I almost to feel sorry for Gary, then I realize that he's not just the defensive coordinator, but also the head coach and thus ultimately responsible for the abortion that is our offense.

why would you feel sorry for gary in any way shape or form?

tcumaniac

why would you feel sorry for gary in any way shape or form?
I thought he made a good point. Recent injuries aside, Gary has a potentially championship caliber defense that's being completely wasted by our anemic offense.

At first blush, you start to feel sorry for Gary that his defense is being wasted, then you remember, "Oh wait. Gary is our head coach. The performance of our offense is his responsibility too."

FrogCop19

As a coach, I'm a firm believer that coaches get way too much credit for wins and way too much blame for losses.

Yes, the coaches are responsible for adjusting game plans that don't seem to be working (a la the sideways screen pass and inside shovel pass), but it ain't Cumbie or Patterson out there throwing interceptions, not blocking correctly, or dropping the passes. We have an inexperienced team, and it's showing. But is that because the coaches are sitting back doing nothing during practice, or is it because the players aren't doing their jobs?

Saban and Meyer and all the other coaches of the so-called "elite" programs have a huge impact on their teams, no doubt. But at some point in time, it becomes a chicken/egg scenario. Are the players labeled "great" because of the coaches, or are the coaches labeled "great" because of the players? Those coaches mentioned above attract the best of the best, which then allows them to win games, and therefore championships. So who's ultimately responsible for their success?

I think TCU is in that transition from very good to great, and we're not quite sure how to handle it. We have started to recruit the high-level kids we always wanted, now we need to actually let them play. Screen passes and tricky-dick reverses are good when you don't have that elite athlete to just run the ball down their throats, but now it is time to start adjusting our play book to reflect that. It is a mutual-benefit situation; we know we have great coaches, now they need to start game planning for those great kids they've recruited. And those great kids need to show up and play the improved game plan.

H0RNEDFR0G

As a coach, I'm a firm believer that coaches get way too much credit for wins and way too much blame for losses.

Yes, the coaches are responsible for adjusting game plans that don't seem to be working (a la the sideways screen pass and inside shovel pass), but it ain't Cumbie or Patterson out there throwing interceptions, not blocking correctly, or dropping the passes. We have an inexperienced team, and it's showing. But is that because the coaches are sitting back doing nothing during practice, or is it because the players aren't doing their jobs?

Saban and Meyer and all the other coaches of the so-called "elite" programs have a huge impact on their teams, no doubt. But at some point in time, it becomes a chicken/egg scenario. Are the players labeled "great" because of the coaches, or are the coaches labeled "great" because of the players? Those coaches mentioned above attract the best of the best, which then allows them to win games, and therefore championships. So who's ultimately responsible for their success?

I think TCU is in that transition from very good to great, and we're not quite sure how to handle it. We have started to recruit the high-level kids we always wanted, now we need to actually let them play. Screen passes and tricky-dick reverses are good when you don't have that elite athlete to just run the ball down their throats, but now it is time to start adjusting our play book to reflect that. It is a mutual-benefit situation; we know we have great coaches, now they need to start game planning for those great kids they've recruited. And those great kids need to show up and play the improved game plan.

I agree with your post in that it's ultimately up to the players to play well, but you also have to scheme in a way that gives you the best chance to win. O-line not blocking well? Run more shallow passing routes and get rid of the ball quickly. QB has difficulty holding on to the ball? Don't run read option or designed QB runs. Coaches have a responsibility to adjust the scheme when what you're trying to do isn't working. I'm not even saying that the scheme adjustment will work, but you have to try. Our TTU offensive scheme appears to have been identical to what we saw week 1.

FrogCop19

I agree with your post in that it's ultimately up to the players to play well, but you also have to scheme in a way that gives you the best chance to win. O-line not blocking well? Run more shallow passing routes and get rid of the ball quickly. QB has difficulty holding on to the ball? Don't run read option or designed QB runs. Coaches have a responsibility to adjust the scheme when what you're trying to do isn't working. I'm not even saying that the scheme adjustment will work, but you have to try. Our TTU offensive scheme appears to have been identical to what we saw week 1.
Agreed 100%. Coaches adjust to what they see, players do their job and execute said game plan.