• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Here’s why coach Sonny Dykes isn’t worried about TCU football’s recruiting ranking

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Here’s why coach Sonny Dykes isn’t worried about TCU football’s recruiting ranking

BY DREW DAVISON

Sonny Dykes’ inaugural recruiting class for TCU football is underwhelming based on the national recruiting rankings. The Horned Frogs were sitting at 54th nationally on 247Sports’ rankings as of Wednesday afternoon.

Dykes isn’t reading too much into it.

“If we went out and signed 27 high school kids, or 25 high school kids, I think this recruiting class would be ranked really high,” Dykes said. “We’re going to do what we think is the best thing for our program. The one thing that we always want to do is be ranked in December and January as opposed to being ranked in February. Those two things go hand-in-hand, don’t get me wrong, but there’s a lot of ways to add talent to your football team. I feel really good about this group.”

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article257934118.html#storylink=cpy

Froggish

I'm thinking the stage has been set for 4-6 seasons' worth of 6-6 or below results....
I don’t think your right. However even if I play along, I can tell you that Sonny was still the right hire and it was still the right time to move on from GP. Yup even if it ends in a 5 year string of 6-6. GP had more than worn out his welcome at TCU and keeping him around was going to do nothing but prolong our turnaround. So yah, I’ll hate 6-6 for 5 years but I’ll assume it was the move we had to make to get back to championships.

Having said all that, I think Sonny is a better coach than people are giving him credit for so I don’t expect a bunch of 6-6 seasons. Might take a couple of years to clean up the mess GP left this program in but he’ll get it turned back around.

4th. down

I don’t think your right. However even if I play along, I can tell you that Sonny was still the right hire and it was still the right time to move on from GP. Yup even if it ends in a 5 year string of 6-6. GP had more than worn out his welcome at TCU and keeping him around was going to do nothing but prolong our turnaround. So yah, I’ll hate 6-6 for 5 years but I’ll assume it was the move we had to make to get back to championships.

Having said all that, I think Sonny is a better coach than people are giving him credit for so I don’t expect a bunch of 6-6 seasons. Might take a couple of years to clean up the mess GP left this program in but he’ll get it turned back around.

Initially on Sonny's hiring, I thought 6-6 would be about all we could realistically expect for a couple of seasons. Now, not so fast......believe 6-6- is the floor and here's the major reason why.......Sonny always has a QB and with Kaz's influence along with our new offensive line coach and loaded skill set, we can beat that 6-6. During daily practices I expect Sonny to spend more time with the QB position than any other. Graham Harrell, Goff, Webb, Buechele, and Mordecai could all spin it. He will have us a QB by the Colorado game even if it's via the portal.

Eight

Initially on Sonny's hiring, I thought 6-6 would be about all we could realistically expect for a couple of seasons. Now, not so fast......believe 6-6- is the floor and here's the major reason why.......Sonny always has a QB and with Kaz's influence along with our new offensive line coach and loaded skill set, we can beat that 6-6. During daily practices I expect Sonny to spend more time with the QB position than any other. Graham Harrell, Goff, Webb, Buechele, and Mordecai could all spin it. He will have us a QB by the Colorado game even if it's via the portal.

agree that sonny has had success every where he has been with his quarterbacks and while i am not sure who will be that quarterback, history tells us that he will also try to fit his offense to what his quarterbacks are capable of doing which will be a nice change

the offensive skill talent is present and it is real. miller gets a chance to be the man for the frogs. long, long way from a shot in the dark recruit from a small school in deep east texas. the two transfers and demercado can provide depth. wide receiver has a featured guy in quentin who i am very interested in seeing what they do to create opportunities, experienced players in barber & davis, and some very interesting young talent in brown, hudson, everhart, and allen heck, there is even potential at tight end.

the key is the offensive line and this is where you either buy into the dykes kool-aid or you don't, but there is real potential in the offensive line as far as i am concerned. frogs have three players who have started 79 games, played in 99 games, and been in college football for a combined 14 years.

can coker and coleman give the frogs a pair of compotent tackles? think so. can the frogs find a third interior offensive lineman among harris, lanz, hayes, bolticoff, barlow, or someone else. hope so, because the pieces are that for a solid offensive line and if they get that this can be a very dangerous offense with the other parts.

the naysayers will automatically point out to the issues in the offensive line the past few years and ask why 2022 should be different?

well, if the problem is talent the coaches who recruited that talent are gone. if the issue is the s&c program that has a new guy over seeing the football program. if the problems has been the lack of talent and technique development once again there has been a change and if the problem has been the scheme we all believe there will be a different one so those reasons alone are reasons for hope

defensively, the key is the front six and can the frogs at least break even so to speak which would be a huge upgrade from the past few seasons. this is the biggest question mark with the change in schemes. how does the talent transition, how do the new players fit? remains to be seen.

i will say part of me really would love to see marcel brooks make an impact on defense this year, but then again it is long confirmed i am an arsehole so.....here is to the belief the frogs could be 7 next year and looking forward to the game in boulder