• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Gary Patterson is working ‘harder than anyone’ to get TCU football back on track

Pharm Frog

same scholarship pool, often times xc coach does distance coaching duties in indoor and outdoor seasons, and some programs such as northern az basically use all their scholarships to be a xc/ distance power

truthfully, with the scholarship limit of 12.6 for the men's program it is very, very tough for a school that costs what it does at tcu to be competitive in xc unless you make it a priority and/or you throw a bunch of financial aid at the kids

women i believe get 18 so they have a bit more resources. do think this is another sport where nil could make a difference if someone really wanted to make the programs more competitive

Yep and these are equivalency scholarships not headcount so you've got to spread it out. Actually you don't if that better fits your strategy OR you have dual sport athletes. Makes me even more baffled why volleyball (headcount) isn't really, really good. Once upon a time I worked for a Texas Track and Field HOF coach who was a master at stacking aid and scholarship but also knew where to consolidate event points. It's highly strategic if you're inclined.

Eight

Yep and these are equivalency scholarships not headcount so you've got to spread it out. Actually you don't if that better fits your strategy OR you have dual sport athletes. Makes me even more baffled why volleyball (headcount) isn't really, really good. Once upon a time I worked for a Texas Track and Field HOF coach who was a master at stacking aid and scholarship but also knew where to consolidate event points. It's highly strategic if you're inclined.

worked well for bubba here back in the day when he loaded up on jamaicans and a few other sprinters for his relay teams

Pharm Frog

worked well for bubba here back in the day when he loaded up on jamaicans and a few other sprinters for his relay teams

I don’t know this Bubba but that’s how you play the cards to win. I recall a conversation I had with the coach I worked with about double-point events…said he didn’t have to win them but couldn’t afford to lose them so sometimes 1 or 2 really strong athletes on a relay was enough to grab points. He had everything mapped out on a legal pad and tracked the other programs too on where they needed their points.

D2 in those days had advantages because there was no age limit at D2. So Wes Kittley at ACU might load up on 31-year-old distance runners from Kenya and try to dominate long and middles. Angelo State might go for sprints and weights. Was really interesting. FWIW-I announced two D2 national track meets and it was easily the most nerve wracking public address experience in my life.

gofor2

Agreed. One guy working hard isn't going to get it done. He needs to evaluate his assistants and see where changes need to be made - and they certainly need to be made.

gofor2

The man has been coaching a long time.
He started in 1982 as a GA and then was a position coach(mostly) from 1983-1995, before sticking as a DC for 4 years at New Mexico and TCU.
I can't see how he has the energy, or fire that he had 10 years ago. If you are giving it everything you have, its emotionally and physically draining. That takes a toll.

TheFDN

The man has been coaching a long time.
He started in 1982 as a GA and then was a position coach(mostly) from 1983-1995, before sticking as a DC for 4 years at New Mexico and TCU.
I can't see how he has the energy, or fire that he had 10 years ago. If you are giving it everything you have, its emotionally and physically draining. That takes a toll.
Then retire. It’s not fair to his coaches, the fans, the school and most importantly the players.