• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Gary Patterson is working ‘harder than anyone’ to get TCU football back on track

smufrogger

Yes and so sad. He could get away with it running up and through the previous conferences but when he comes up to programs that have as much or more talent than we do......problem. He was, like so many young coaches coming up through the profession, they are like vagabonds but with another job just around the corner. He has not forgotten that trek so he protects his assistants.........tooooo much.

I have to ask this question as it has been on my mind for several years..........WHY doesn't GP coach his assistants like the way he wants the players to play and then a review every 2 years. If they are not producing like he wants, they are replaced. He doesn't need to be screaming and going through all his emotions with the players on game day or practice throughout the week......that's the assistant coaches job. GP needs to coach his assistants and then let him evaluate but he will not do it.
Gary in last weeks press conference after the game stated They should have run more- and that wv was mot going to give up the deep passes.
Well Gary- perhaps as the HEAD coach- you should have walked over to your offensive coordinator and told him to run more?

Mean Purple

They need to set the line at the end of the season. Either he makes changes to his staff, including the long term non-productive pals, or he does not coach next season. His defense is so bad. Folks are complaining about how teams run up the second level on us, but that has always been an issue. This year, the d line is so not good that it makes it a disaster.

Think back to when Briles was at Houston. He exposed that area and ran through it that night. Even though we won, it was way too close.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
No doubt conversations have or will take place at the right time. Again no one in the world -- not even you -- would walk in and fire GP today.

I hope we win out and GP steps down. Those two things would make me happy as a Frog.

Mean Purple

People won't like hearing this, but he is spot on in his comments about the secondary. If anybody thinks Patterson and company are not on them every pracitice about keeping leverage and eye discipline, they are clueless. It may be that it takes those guys on the back end another year. That said, can patterson improve this team enough this year to get to next year.
Last year we only had 4 losses. That team would have likely won a bowl. Not bad, considering. If he does not get to a bowl game this year, gonna be rough times.

Eight

It’s like some of you want him to fail!

maybe for some, but i think most of the responses above are driven from the comment which is a worthless attempt to placate the fan base because of the implications or someone is just giving filler to drew.

gary has already told us he hasn't lost a step on the defensive side of the ball as he can x and o with anyone on the white board and now he is working harder than anyone so why don't we see the results?

4 Oaks Frog

It’s like some of you want him to fail!
I like LAWHCGMFP a lot. I have been defending him, and bitching about everyone bitching about him and being so negative. But, enough is enough, and really hate to say that. If I were performing this badly at my job, I would be dismissed.
I don’t want him to fail.
Sadly, he already has.
GO FROGS!
BEAT SOMEBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

Mean Purple

One other thing. I listened to the Tech AD's presser yesterday. They are nuts out there. They are not an elite program. And with Texas and OU leaving, this conference is borderline P5 at best. Meaning the jobs are not going to be as appealing. And Tech is less so due to location. Always has been.
The booster who dropped 20 mil a couple of weeks ago is behind a lot of that. I'm sure some think they have to jump now to compete because of LSU.
A. Are they ever going to compete against LSU for a coach?
B. Is LSU really going to consider Dykes?
C. Do you really want to follow the direction of a person crazy enough to kick over 20 mil to a football program?

Eight

People won't like hearing this, but he is spot on in his comments about the secondary. If anybody thinks Patterson and company are not on them every pracitice about keeping leverage and eye discipline, they are clueless. It may be that it takes those guys on the back end another year. That said, can patterson improve this team enough this year to get to next year.
Last year we only had 4 losses. That team would have likely won a bowl. Not bad, considering. If he does not get to a bowl game this year, gonna be rough times.

think the injury issue at safety has hurt this defense, but when we talk about needing another year to develop players on the back end it gets a bit concerning. the frogs started 6 seniors on defense and that includes the 3 starting safeties.

a number of juniors who could return at the safety position are out with injury, the defense seems to be caught in this continued loop of having to learn and “trust” the scheme, and there are not the talented few (i.e. moehrig, wallow, and washington) to cover up the problems and shortcomings

as far as the bowl game last year, I am not so sure beating arkansas was lkely as we saw the past few seasons the frogs struggle to stop physical running teams. bigger concern is that when I look at the projected players to return to the front 6 I am not sure where significant improvements come from in the run game.

Last edited:

4th. down

They need to set the line at the end of the season. Either he makes changes to his staff, including the long term non-productive pals, or he does not coach next season. His defense is so bad. Folks are complaining about how teams run up the second level on us, but that has always been an issue. This year, the d line is so not good that it makes it a disaster.

Think back to when Briles was at Houston. He exposed that area and ran through it that night. Even though we won, it was way too close.
Yes Mean, I was at that game and as it wore on, became more anxious.

Pharm Frog

Top…you keep saying nobody (“not even you”) would go in and fire GP today. Two things (maybe three)

1) You are incorrect. I absolutely would do that although I’d tell him he has the freedom to announce his retirement no later than the post-game press availability after the last regular season game of the season. And the reason I would do this is….

2) Because he and I would have had direct and candid discussions about the performance and direction of the program over the last several years and there would be no surprises to him or me or any stakeholder that matters.

Okay…here’s a third…

3) I’d probably do it even if I hadn’t done the second thing because you don’t compound a problem just because you didn’t do your job right in the first place. And I’d probably expect to lose my job too because I was derelict by not doing what I should have been doing and didn’t set the predicate of expectations.

Wexahu

One other thing. I listened to the Tech AD's presser yesterday. They are nuts out there. They are not an elite program. And with Texas and OU leaving, this conference is borderline P5 at best. Meaning the jobs are not going to be as appealing. And Tech is less so due to location. Always has been.
The booster who dropped 20 mil a couple of weeks ago is behind a lot of that. I'm sure some think they have to jump now to compete because of LSU.
A. Are they ever going to compete against LSU for a coach?
B. Is LSU really going to consider Dykes?
C. Do you really want to follow the direction of a person crazy enough to kick over 20 mil to a football program?
With OU leaving (and Texas to a lesser degree) there is going to be an opportunity for a program like Texas Tech to have some real sustained success and build on it. There isn't going to be anyone else in the league that has a huge upper hand on everyone else like OU and Texas do now.

So while they may never be an "elite" program, they can be a lot better than what they've been.

Paul in uhh

With OU leaving (and Texas to a lesser degree) there is going to be an opportunity for a program like Texas Tech to have some real sustained success and build on it. There isn't going to be anyone else in the league that has a huge upper hand on everyone else like OU and Texas do now.

So while they may never be an "elite" program, they can be a lot better than what they've been.
Someone will fill the void(s) left by OU and UT. Cincy is positioned well it seems. OSU certainly will be worth considering and Tech is doing what it can right now.

TCU admins are still daydreaming of a game from 11 years ago while the captain of the ship furiously rearranges the deck chairs.

Patterson deserves the statue and our respect but the end here is painful. Reminds me of the end of any sports great, be is Ripken, Mays, Bowden, Spurrier, Jordan, Woods.. nobody is great forever unless they take the Barry Sanders approach.

Wexahu

Someone will fill the void(s) left by OU and UT. Cincy is positioned well it seems. OSU certainly will be worth considering and Tech is doing what it can right now.

TCU admins are still daydreaming of a game from 11 years ago while the captain of the ship furiously rearranges the deck chairs.

Patterson deserves the statue and our respect but the end here is painful. Reminds me of the end of any sports great, be is Ripken, Mays, Bowden, Spurrier, Jordan, Woods.. nobody is great forever unless they take the Barry Sanders approach.
Well, nobody except Tom Brady it seems.

Mean Purple

Look, we all know Patterson is gonna be given another year because ADJD is out of his league on all this. Only hope is they force him to dump the assistants, as many of them had no business being at a P5 anyway. Including Fitch.