• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Gary Patterson built TCU football through methods now unwelcome in sports | Opinion

Js96

Same here. I try to convince myself it’s not there yet, but obviously it is if a legendary coach like GP is too hard and too mean to succeed anymore coaching the sport. That’s not a NIL issue or a transfer portal issue. It’s a overall softness issue and if you have to be a psychologist, social engineering, woke, softy to be a successful college head coach then I’m most definitely out. I wouldn’t want my son coached by that type person and I don’t want my own resources supporting it.

I sure love the pageantry of Saturday game days, but thinking I’ll just drop down a division and start spending my resources on my own Tarleton State University, who is now playing D1 football in the WAC. TCU has been our home team my whole life and even after going a different direction for college and grad school I’ve kept the all these years connected. Way before it was a cool school to cheer for I was there. My personal connection to TCU passed away several years ago and I cherish the time and relationships I’ve been a part of at TCU. I’ll cherish the picture of the flags at half staff sent to me by the Chancellor when she passed away. We’ve had football season tickets since 1987, but that ship has sailed I guess. I’ll keep my baseball seats and continue to spend time at Lupton watching my favorite sport. I have a feeling that just like I walked away from TCU basketball when Billy was shoved out having not gone to another game at DMC since I may have that same response to this football change. My relationships with TCU have always been to people more than the school and unfortunately maybe that makes me more susceptible to being turned off by these situations too. When Lance was screwed around by EH I was bitter, but also happy for my friend Jim Schlossnagle to come to town. Losing Schloss was tough, but I really like Kirk and feel continued program connection and appreciate that college baseball still feels totally different than pro baseball.

Long winding post, but this whole saga has been pretty disheartening to watch unfold. College sports isn’t what it used to be, TCU isn’t what it used to be, and a portion of the fan base has grown to act just like Texas fans in my view. Something I didn’t see coming at all and maybe that’s the biggest disappointment of them all.
Great post! I have been an avid TCU fan since a young kid. My dad was a TCU fan and took me to games against Rice when I was a kid. We have gone to games together since then and I had season tickets a few years. I remember going with a friend to a game in 1995 on a recruiting trip and How bad the atmosphere was at the game. I watched LT against UTEP when he set the rushing record and wished more people were there. Then Patterson came and it was amazing what he did and the excitement he brought. I’m not saying at all it was time for him to go, but I was disappointed with the almost hatred of him on this board. With his style, it doesn’t worked with entitled kids. I think the hard working kids are still out there, Patterson may have lost the back to find them. With the success, maybe the recruits came easier and he no longer had to work as hard. Overall, I’m losing interest in something that has been a big part of my life. I graduated from Sam Houston and have realized I need to probably concentrate my support to my school.

Long winding post, but this whole saga has been pretty disheartening to watch unfold. College sports isn’t what it used to be, TCU isn’t what it used to be, and a portion of the fan base has grown to act just like Texas fans in my view. Something I didn’t see coming at all and maybe that’s the biggest disappointment of them all.
Thanksgiving food for thought.

Pharm Frog

Great post! I have been an avid TCU fan since a young kid. My dad was a TCU fan and took me to games against Rice when I was a kid. We have gone to games together since then and I had season tickets a few years. I remember going with a friend to a game in 1995 on a recruiting trip and How bad the atmosphere was at the game. I watched LT against UTEP when he set the rushing record and wished more people were there. Then Patterson came and it was amazing what he did and the excitement he brought. I’m not saying at all it was time for him to go, but I was disappointed with the almost hatred of him on this board. With his style, it doesn’t worked with entitled kids. I think the hard working kids are still out there, Patterson may have lost the back to find them. With the success, maybe the recruits came easier and he no longer had to work as hard. Overall, I’m losing interest in something that has been a big part of my life. I graduated from Sam Houston and have realized I need to probably concentrate my support to my school.
BS…I haven’t read an ounce of anything approaching hatred toward GP on this board. Opposite in fact…bordering on adoration and at times approaching worship (part of the problem IMO). Even the people advocating change before it happened (which I was as far back as 2018) did so with mostly sadness but far from hatred. I think a lot of folks are sad that “it happened this way because it didn’t have to”. I disagree because I believe this is precisely how it had to go down. Cannot envision any other way

Onward and hopefully upward. Nothing guaranteed but the status quo was onward and downward. That was clear.

Frogs1983

"Hatred" is a little harsh I think. I have called for a coaching change, based on past 5 seasons results only. I have the utmost respect and appreciation for Gary Patterson as a TCU Alum and 50 year fan!

K.State game ( which I was at ) was the final eye opener IMO that a change was absolutely necessary.

Gary had lost the Team.Anyone not wearing purple colored glasses could clearly see it .

I have sat through my share of bad seasons. This was one of the absolute worst given the supposed talent on this team!

I am excited to see what a new HC and Assistant Coaching staff can bring next season.

Frogs1983

"Hatred" is a little harsh I think. I have called for a coaching change, based on past 5 seasons results only. I have the utmost respect and appreciation for Gary Patterson as a TCU Alum and 50 year fan!

K.State game ( which I was at ) was the final eye opener IMO that a change was absolutely necessary.

Gary had lost the Team.Anyone not wearing purple colored glasses could clearly see it .

I have sat through my share of bad seasons. This was one of the absolute worst given the supposed talent on this team!

I am excited to see what a fresh start may bring.