• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Former TCU walk-on brings his underdog mentality to his fight against stage 4 cancer

Baja Frog

This was on the front page of the FWST today. SIAP

BY PETER DAWSON AND LENA BLIETZ

pdawson@star-telegram.com

lblietz@star-telegram.com

Stats-wise, Phil Taylor barely registered a blip during his four years as a walk-on receiver at TCU: one career reception.

But for pure competitiveness, personal strength and concern for others — for qualities that show a person's character beyond the numbers — few former Frogs are held in higher regard.

“He definitely set the precedent on how to conduct yourself, not only as a walk-on but as a TCU player in general,” former TCU receiver Deante' Gray said.

Three years after he graduated, Taylor hasn't lost his underdog mentality. He needs it as much as ever against the stage 4 stomach cancer for which he'll undergo a major procedure on Tuesday.

Read more at: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article205829764.html

Armadillo

TCU graduate in 94. Colon Cancer survivor by 1999. I was just a year less than 30.

Yes, RollToad, probably bleeding. Even in the best of shape and the most athletic, your body will usually tell you when something is wrong.

Man that was a year of hell. Most have it easier than I did, but some have it worse. I was right on the edge.

My heart goes out to anyone who has battled the big c.