• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Former athletic boss' parting gift to TCU: Hiring Schlossnagle

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
[SIZE=12pt]FWST: Former athletic boss' parting gift to TCU: Hiring Schlossnagle[/SIZE]

By GIL LeBRETON
glebreton@star-telegram.com

OMAHA, Neb. -- He had heard the news, and now Eric Hyman was smiling like a matchmaker."Luck impacts all of us in life," the former TCU athletic director said.

He wasn't talking about Jim Schlossnagle, who on Saturday was named college baseball's coach of the year.

He was talking about TCU, and how fortuitous -- and crafty -- he himself had been to hire Schlossnagle seven years ago. ...

R

RJ Fletcher

"Three candidates ended up being interviewed."

Schlossnagle, Tommy Harmon and who was #3?

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
QUOTE(RJ Fletcher @ Jun 21 2010, 08:08 AM) [snapback]584655[/snapback]
"Three candidates ended up being interviewed."

Schlossnagle, Tommy Harmon and who was #3?

They interviewed Tommy Harmon?

Annoying Group of 20

I respect Hyman for what he helped accomplish here, but his parting gift was a contract extension for Daugherty that set back hoops several more years.

Schloss sought out this job and Hyman had the wisdom to hire him.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Hmm. So, lemme se here. Steel is having a hard time getting his head around something:

Didn't you all gnash your teeth and engage in all kinds of inappropriate behavior when Steel kicked you all's bohinnies in the boot essay contest?

Wasn't Schloss one of the celebrity judges who judged Steel's essay as the winning essay in the boot contest? Which caused so much approbrium here?

Could the perfect coach and person Schloss be wrong? The answer: NO.

Therefore, anyone who judged Steel's essay to not be worthy was wrong.

That is all.

Sangria Wine

Tracy Smith was the other finalist. He was also Eric Hyman's pick as well as some baseball alums at the time who had played summer ball for him. A ground swell started for Schloss toward the end and we were fortunate to land him. At that time I was on here everyday going nuts to hire Schloss and getting some rebuttal from people that Eric knew what he was doing, etc, etc, etc. Tracy Smith was at the time the coach at Miami Ohio but has since went on to Indiana. Tracy was told by Hyman to start looking for a house because when he got back from his vacation overseas they were having a press conference. He and his staff started house shopping in the Fort Worth area and the next thing they knew they found out that he had hired Schloss. I don't really know what "money man" finally got involved but I know that it was Hyman's intent to hire Smith when he and his family left on vacation and something changed while he was gone. Thank God it did is all I can say...

Annoying Group of 20

QUOTE(Sangria Wine @ Jun 21 2010, 09:58 AM) [snapback]584722[/snapback]
Tracy Smith was the other finalist. He was also Eric Hyman's pick as well as some baseball alums at the time who had played summer ball for him. A ground swell started for Schloss toward the end and we were fortunate to land him. At that time I was on here everyday going nuts to hire Schloss and getting some rebuttal from people that Eric knew what he was doing, etc, etc, etc. Tracy Smith was at the time the coach at Miami Ohio but has since went on to Indiana. Tracy was told by Hyman to start looking for a house because when he got back from his vacation overseas they were having a press conference. He and his staff started house shopping in the Fort Worth area and the next thing they knew they found out that he had hired Schloss. I don't really know what "money man" finally got involved but I know that it was Hyman's intent to hire Smith when he and his family left on vacation and something changed while he was gone. Thank God it did is all I can say...

Sounds about right... thank you unnamed TCU money man for CJS. I think it was a money man that got CND hired too... so if it they were one in the same, then Gil would have a story.

Salfrog

Tier 1
I would say it was a wash. CND destroyed our MBB program while Schloss has taken our baseball program to new heights. I still give thanks to Lance Brown for what he did for us with what he had to work with.

Sangria Wine

The other guy that we could have hired was Frank Anderson, then the Texas pitching coach. At the time he essentially got tired of waiting around for us to decide what we were going to do and took the Oklahoma State job instead since it was in hand. That was probably two to three weeks prior to us making an official hire though as I recall. At the time it should have been a two man race between he and Schloss but it never really seemed to be that was the case. I can tell you without a question that both at that time and in retrospect we got this one right and I am sure glad we did!

Sangria Wine

QUOTE(Salfrog @ Jun 21 2010, 05:26 PM) [snapback]584849[/snapback]
I still give thanks to Lance Brown for what he did for us with what he had to work with.

We would not even have a baseball program, much less Lupton Stadium without his efforts. That's not some melodramatic statement either. You just don't realize what he went through to even allow us to keep baseball at TCU. It had nothing to do with wins and losses either. For this, I hope someday there is a statue of the guy at Lupton Stadium. He went through a lot of hell to save the program and then Schloss came in and made his efforts worthwhile by shaping TCU baseball into a nationally elite program.

QUOTE(Sangria Wine @ Jun 21 2010, 12:32 PM) [snapback]584854[/snapback]
We would not even have a baseball program, much less Lupton Stadium without his efforts. That's not some melodramatic statement either. You just don't realize what he went through to even allow us to keep baseball at TCU. It had nothing to do with wins and losses either. For this, I hope someday there is a statue of the guy at Lupton Stadium. He went through a lot of hell to save the program and then Schloss came in and made his efforts worthwhile by shaping TCU baseball into a nationally elite program.

You are exactly right about Lance Brown. He played a huge roll in it getting built. I remember seeing him and Ross Baily at a city council meeting over the building of Lupton Stadium. Quite frankly, we are darn lucky that Lupton got built because their was very significant opposition to the stadium being built in the first place. Trust me, the neighborhood association was not one bit happy about the outcome of it. If TCU were less politically powerful, we might not have the stadium. Unless TCU grows, we could very easily be on the losing end of a zoning issue. Fort Worth will grow and TCU runs the risk of being less politically relevant unless TCU has more alumni in Fort Worth. It will be interesting to see if the neighborhood association tries to block the expansion of Lupton. Hopefully, TCU has built up enough good will to offset those whining neighbors. Better yet, hopefully the whining neighbors sold out to some loyal TCU alumni that enjoy walking to games.

Frogs1983

QUOTE(Horned Toad @ Jun 21 2010, 08:52 AM) [snapback]584686[/snapback]
The "gift" that keeps on giving! :biggrin:

Hyman: Hiring Scloss A+
Running off Tubbs and setting mens basketball back 10 years a big F!! :angry:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Frogs1983 @ Jun 22 2010, 12:35 AM) [snapback]585609[/snapback]
Hyman: Hiring Scloss A+
Running off Tubbs and setting mens basketball back 10 years a big F!! :angry:

Hyman was a great AD, IMO. Just made one big mistake ...

Frogs1983

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 22 2010, 07:19 AM) [snapback]585646[/snapback]
Hyman was a great AD, IMO. Just made one big mistake ...

Yeh I know it's easy to slam Hyman on his BB decision after the fact.Just sorry TCU is still paying for it today.