• The KillerFrogs

FWST: For the playoff selection committee, TCU’s win against Texas Tech won’t be enough

HornyWartyToad

I think the name on the jersey thing is overblown, tbh. I think pre-season expectations are a bigger deal. We were coming off a poor season and were off everyone's radar. Teams starting outside of the top 25 always have a longer road to hoe. The other issue is that our "Las Vegas" metrics (for lack of a better term) are lagging. A lot of voters and pundits are bettors and they know how Vegas perceives a team, and I think that gets underestimated in the analysis. We have been fighting an uphill perception battle more because of those two factors than some sort of brand bias.
"row."

FrogCop19

Ok, I have to agree that this is his best article I've ever read. Granted, that hasn't been that often, but he truly defends TCU and what the committee has done. It was obviously written before yesterday's rankings release, but it was spot on to what we all felt.

Well done, Mac.

*gag reflex*

Deep Purple

For the playoff selection committee, TCU’s win against Texas Tech won’t be enough

BY Big Steaming Pile

No. 7 TCU came back from yet another second-half deficit and defeated Texas Tech 34-24.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article268231127.html#storylink=cpy

"Yet anther second-half deficit?" We were leading at the half 13-0. In fact, we have led at the half in five of nine games played thus far.

Took about 15 seconds to locate that information. Does this guy do any actual homework or just rely on his vague memory impressions?

Bob Sugar

As far as Vegas power rankings, the Action Network, which has been high on the Frogs for awhile, has TCU at 7. Here's how they would project the TCU spread on a neutral field:
1. UGA -13.5
2. OSU -13
3. Michigan -6
4. Bama -5.5 (was -9.5 before their loss to LSU)
5. Tennessee -3
6. Oregon -1.5
8. Clemson +0.5
9. Texas +1
10 FSU +1.5
11. LSU +1.5
15. Baylor +3.5
16. OU +3.5
20. KSU +5
26. Ok State +4
33. TT +8.5
35. ISU +8.5

Wexahu

As far as Vegas power rankings, the Action Network, which has been high on the Frogs for awhile, has TCU at 7. Here's how they would project the TCU spread on a neutral field:
1. UGA -13.5
2. OSU -13
3. Michigan -6
4. Bama -5.5 (was -9.5 before their loss to LSU)
5. Tennessee -3
6. Oregon -1.5
8. Clemson +0.5
9. Texas +1
10 FSU +1.5
11. LSU +1.5
15. Baylor +3.5
16. OU +3.5
20. KSU +5
26. Ok State +4
33. TT +8.5
35. ISU +8.5
In looking at what Oregon has done this year, I don't get the respect they are getting.

They are beating up on teams but they are beating up on [ Finebaum ]s for the most part....Stanford, Cal, Arizona, and especially Colorado are not quality P5 teams. They needed a big comeback to beat WSU and BYU has proven to not be very good. They played one great team but they lost 49-3!

CountryFrog

In looking at what Oregon has done this year, I don't get the respect they are getting.

They are beating up on teams but they are beating up on [ #2020 ]s for the most part....Stanford, Cal, Arizona, and especially Colorado are not quality P5 teams. They needed a big comeback to beat WSU and BYU has proven to not be very good. They played one great team but they lost 49-3!
They have a good win against UCLA and are definitely getting a bump from "eye test" proponents who typically can't remember anything their eyes saw more than 2-3 weeks ago.

Wexahu

They have a good win against UCLA and are definitely getting a bump from "eye test" proponents who typically can't remember anything their eyes saw more than 2-3 weeks ago.
Ya, they are the one team I can't figure out. Computers have them really high as well. It really is like they are getting a huge boost just from stepping on the same field with Georgia.

Sagarin somehow has them 7 spots ahead of us for those that claim Sagarin is trash (really hard to dispute that given this fact). Maybe it's one of those deals where over the next few weeks as more data points get entered the computers will start making more sense but this one is a head scratcher that makes you think there is a MAJOR glitch somewhere.

Deep Purple

"Yet anther second-half deficit?" We were leading at the half 13-0. In fact, we have led at the half in five of nine games played thus far.

We were down 17-13 in the 4th quarter. That counts as a second half deficit

"Second-half deficit" typically refers to the score at the start of the second half. By your (and Mac's) overbroad definition, if we trail at any point, it's a come-from-behind win. So at least half of our wins are deficit wins. Wow. TCU must be less impressive than we thought.

froginmn

IS it true that if we just win one more game (any of them) we have clinched a spot in the CCG?

With Texas, KSU and Baylor all playing each other yet that would seem to be the case but is my math wrong?
I don't think it's necessarily the case, because there may be a scenario where three teams finish 7-2 and it results in a three way tiebreaker. Not sure how that particular tiebreaker works.

cctcu

Also if I remember correctly the only team to win the NC w/o being ranked in the top 25 initially was Auburn, but correct me if wrong.

Wexahu

I don't think it's necessarily the case, because there may be a scenario where three teams finish 7-2 and it results in a three way tiebreaker. Not sure how that particular tiebreaker works.
Now that I think about it, I think the only 3-way tie scenario if we win another game is K-State (Baylor, WVU, Kansas) and Texas (TCU, Kansas, Baylor) both winning out and the game we win is not the Texas game obviously. I think that's right anyway.

Bizarro Frog

This is only hypothetical and not intended to get ahead of ourselves but this could be handy for making plans for the BIG 12 Title game.

If the Frogs beat Iowa St then I think we will be in. TX or Baylor are guaranteed 3 losses because they play each other. Same goes for Baylor or K St because they play each other as well. There is not a scenario where TCU, Baylor and TX can finished tied assuming we beat ISU. Only TCU, TX and K St could be tied. If I am reading the rules correct K ST would be eliminated because they would be 0-2 vs TCU & TX.