• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Fan poll: Who should be TCU football’s starting quarterback next season?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Fan poll: Who should be TCU football’s starting quarterback next season?

BY DREW DAVISON

TCU football wrapped up its spring season with a two-quarter scrimmage on Friday night at Amon G. Carter Stadium.

Coach Sonny Dykes refused to declare a favorite for the starting quarterback job afterward.

Senior Max Duggan and redshirt freshman Chandler Morris split first-team reps throughout the spring, although there wasn’t much separation between the two. Redshirt freshman Sam Jackson got the third most reps during practices followed by true freshman Josh Hoover.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article260700047.html#storylink=cpy

Palliative Care

Did not get any indication from what Dykes said that made me think that either Morris or Duggan was worthy of high praise. He said that both could run the base offense. I like each of them for certain traits but I could see a portal guy being chosen to up the competition.

Palliative Care

Choosing between Duggan and Morris, Duggan has the experience but that is somewhat negated by a completely new offense. Morris is a real competitive guy which could close the experience gap. At this point to me they are even so summer camp will decide if no one else arrives.

Chongo94

Did not get any indication from what Dykes said that made me think that either Morris or Duggan was worthy of high praise. He said that both could run the base offense. I like each of them for certain traits but I could see a portal guy being chosen to up the competition.
I believe he has now stated that he will not be bringing in a portal qb…both have impressed him enough apparently to not make a move for another with the portal.

PineyWoodsFrog

I've seen 3 years worth of games on one guy to let me know I'm ready to move on. I seen enough from Morris as far as skillset, reading the defense, ball placement, and playmaking that I'd rather continue to develop him now and get more games under his belt than just give Duggan the job just because he's a senior. IMO, it shouldn't be this close between a Sr and a redshirt freshman. If it is indeed that close, I'm not going with the Sr.

tetonfrog

I bet all 3 QBs play. Between blowout wins & their history of injuries, this is a possibility. But maybe a new S&C coach will change that?

asleep003

Only guessing, Max probably starts until he loses the job, except for Tarleton State... where Max 1st qtr/Morris 2 qtrs/Jackson 1 qtr.

McFroggin

Go with the SR, Duggan, and let Morris develop. He has 3 more years after 2022 to play.

Every coach I have ever had has said the opposite. If you have 2 equal players, the younger starts. This helps ensure your future by having the most time to develop these players. AD, TB, etc all needed years to fully develop. If Morris is already equal to Duggan after Duggan has been given years, Morris starts.

I know it goes against conventional wisdom, but I'd just name them co-starters and plan to see both in action, at least early in the season. First off with injuries you want both to have a starter's approach/familiarity, but I also don't think either has really separated themselves. I think eventually Sonny will settle on one based on effectiveness in full speed games, but leaving it open to start the season is a viable approach, especially given a new coach and system.