• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Drew Brees ‘begged’ to play at TCU, and they said no. He became the best QB from Texas

Zubaz

Weird article.

Headline says he begged to come to TCU, but nobody confirms (his high school coach basically says "he never said that, but maybe it's true") and the text suggests that his interest in TCU was only after he was rejected by Texas and A&M, and below even Baylor where had some legacy tie-ins. Then despite whatever interest he did have, we didn't offer him because we didn't want an option QB....but he wasn't an option QB...and we ran the option with Bateaux (though I'm not sure if that was new to Fran when he came in 1998). His recruiting profile goes on to say that he was only recruited by Purdue and Kentucky, both of which were better offers than TCU at the time.

So...not really seeing it.

Frog-in-law1995

Oh come on.

The school at the time had Frank Windegger as AD, Bill Tucker as chancellor and Pat Sullivan as head football coach. It was a completely different time and set of circumstances.

The athletic program was terrible

But to slam Mac for disparaging TCU because it failed to offer Brees a scholarship is over the top

If it happened 20 years ago with an entirely different cast of characters, why disparage TCU today for it?

Frog-in-law1995

Weird article.

Headline says he begged to come to TCU, but nobody confirms (his high school coach basically says "he never said that, but maybe it's true") and the text suggests that his interest in TCU was only after he was rejected by Texas and A&M, and below even Baylor where had some legacy tie-ins. Then despite whatever interest he did have, we didn't offer him because we didn't want an option QB....but he wasn't an option QB...and we ran the option with Bateaux (though I'm not sure if that was new to Fran when he came in 1998). His recruiting profile goes on to say that he was only recruited by Purdue and Kentucky, both of which were better offers than TCU at the time.

He quotes Jenkins in the first paragraph saying Brees “begged” for a TCU offer.

Moose Stuff

Oh come on.

The school at the time had Frank Windegger as AD, Bill Tucker as chancellor and Pat Sullivan as head football coach. It was a completely different time and set of circumstances.

The athletic program was terrible

But to slam Mac for disparaging TCU because it failed to offer Brees a scholarship is over the top

Mac’s fair game at all times IMO. He knows what he’s doing (and it’s exactly what people in this thread are accusing him of).

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Stupid story. So many different variables could change to change the Brees outcome. What if he came to TCU and was coached differently? Our experiences make us who we are today. Brees has had an incredible journey. No story here.

GoFrog Yourself

I am beginning to believe, based on the last 2 games, that an excellent QB has been languishing on the bench for 5 years.
I would argue he’s had five years to prove himself worthy of playing time, and he failed to pass people like Bram and Foster on the depth chart. Excellent is an overstatement, serviceable is a better word

helcap

Weird article.

Excellent point, I have a hard time also visualizing a player "begging" to go to a WAC school rather than a Big 10 or SEC one just to stay closer to home.